RTW ?s (incl. OWE vs. *A)

Old Jan 30, 02, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

RTW ?s (incl. OWE vs. *A)

hi. long time lurker, first time poster...

mrs. thrilliams and I are planning to take the second half of 2002 off in order to go RTW for 6 mos.

although we're both AA Gold (just comped, not many miles), I'm much more familiar with *A and am trying to decide between OWE and *A (see my *A post).

here's our proposed OWE route (~ indicates overland travel):

YVR-LHR-HAM~(drive loop around scandanavia)~HAM-MAD~(eurail)~FCO-BCN-IST-LHR-JNB-WDH-JNB-CPT-JNB-SYD-SIN-DPS-HKG-DEL-HKG-BKK-HKG-KIX~NRT-YVR

I have a few questions:
  • is this a valid route?
  • if we're not planning on stopping in SYD (transiting = less than 24 hrs, right?), could this be done on a OWE4?
  • is ex-YVR cheaper or could we just start in SFO or SEA?
  • how are segments calculated? i.e., if just transiting in HKG, is DEL-HKG-BKK counted as one segment or two?
  • does AA gold get you anything on a OWE RTW?
  • any other suggestions/hints?
flyertalk contributed to a great CAS-RAK-FEZ-CDG honeymoon trip in 10/2000. thanks in advance for your help with this next adventure.

- thrilliams

edited to fix *A post link and change KIX->NRT travel to overland...

[This message has been edited by thrilliams (edited 01-31-2002).]
Old Jan 31, 02, 2:01 am

Just my opinion, but go with a Global Explorer or with the Star Alliance. You have *lots* of Asian stops. With a little changing here and there, you should be able to get it under 40K. And leaving from Canada is usually cheaper than the US. To answer your questions, though, one flight number is one flight. So BKK-HKG-DEL is two segments. And if you touch a continent (connection or otherwise), you need to pay for it. AA gold gets you 25% bonus and earned upgrade accrual, but not much else.
Old Jan 31, 02, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
HKG-KIX-NRT-YVR

Your last leg may pose some problems as there is no Oneworld flight between KIX-NRT and NRT-YVR.

JAL is not a member of OneWorld.
Old Jan 31, 02, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the responses.

Darren, will a Global Explorer allow 40K? I thought that the max was 34K...

Guy Betsy, a mistake on my part. I think that we're going to try and take the shinkansen up to tokyo. I've edited my original post to show this leg as overland travel.
Old Jan 31, 02, 3:58 pm

No, 34K is the max for a global explorer, but 39K is the max for a star alliance rtw.
Old Feb 2, 02, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Darren - remember that a Global Explorer has restrictions as to the number of stops one can take!

Search this Thread