FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Ex-JNB DONE05 ending 8/2017 Start Anew AMM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1843505-ex-jnb-done05-ending-8-2017-start-anew-amm.html)

MiamiPrep May 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Ex-JNB DONE05 ending 8/2017 Start Anew AMM

One of my 2 current ex-JNB DONE05's will be concluding in August in JNB (both ticketed in 2016 at <$4,000 each online with LATAM).
I have looked at re-positioning for best price / least hassle.
AMM seems the most convenient as I can do a mileage award JNB-AUH-AMM & connect the same day AMM-ORD-MIA.
NRT - No J award space from JNB on 8/29/17
OSL - Would have to overnight here

Seems like the most convenient option for me.

pandaperth May 19, 2017 12:53 pm

An ex-MPM DONEx+1 is cheaper than a DONEx from AMM

And MPM is pretty easy to get to from JNB

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:

Fare Information Search:

Departing AMM on 21/06/17 for AMM
Flying RJ 
Viewing in currency USD
Validated Results

Fare Basis  Airline  Booking  Trip Type  Fare          Cabin  Effective  Expiration  Min/Max  Advanced
                    Class                                      Date      Date        Stay    Purchase Req

DONE3      RJ      D        Round-Trip  6218.46 (USD)  B                            -- / 12M
DONE4      RJ      D        Round-Trip  7207.76 (USD)  B                            -- / 12M
DONE5      RJ      D        Round-Trip  8479.72 (USD)  B                            -- / 12M
DONE6      RJ      D        Round-Trip  9610.35 (USD)  B                            -- / 12M

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:

Fare Information Search:

Departing MPM on 21/06/17 for MPM
Flying QR 
Viewing in currency USD
Validated Results

Fare Basis  Airline  Booking  Trip Type  Fare          Cabin  Effective  Expiration  Min/Max  Advanced
                    Class                                      Date      Date        Stay    Purchase Req
DONE4      QR      D        Round-Trip  5068.82 (USD)  B                            -- / 12M
DONE5      QR      D        Round-Trip  5777.77 (USD)  B                            -- / 12M
DONE6      QR      D        Round-Trip  7027.02 (USD)  B                            -- / 12M

MiamiPrep May 19, 2017 2:36 pm

MPM Hassle Factor

Originally Posted by pandaperth (Post 28334124)
An ex-MPM DONEx+1 is cheaper than a DONEx from AMM

Purchase Req
DONE4 QR D Round-Trip 5068.82 (USD) B -- / 12M
DONE5 QR D Round-Trip 5777.77 (USD) B -- / 12M
DONE6 QR D Round-Trip 7027.02 (USD) B -- / 12M
[/CODE]

Yeah I am aware of MPM difference, which is compelling. I just looked at flight times. I don't necessarily have to overnight in MPM, but there is the visa requirement (hassle since I'd do in advance) & I'd have a long night layover in DOH. I'll consider, but the "hassle factor" is certainly larger.

Unterwegs May 20, 2017 12:08 am

Panda,

do you know what the AONE prices from MPM are?
Thank you in advance.

MiamiPrep May 20, 2017 6:27 am

AONE ex-MPM

AGLOB34 AA A 8260.65(USD) F
AONE4 AA A 8260.65(USD) F
AONE5 AA A 9509.90(USD) F
AONE6 AA A 11399.39(USD) F
ex-MPM

skunker May 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiPrep (Post 28334547)
Yeah I am aware of MPM difference, which is compelling. I just looked at flight times. I don't necessarily have to overnight in MPM, but there is the visa requirement (hassle since I'd do in advance) & I'd have a long night layover in DOH. I'll consider, but the "hassle factor" is certainly larger.

If you don't overnight then you don't need a visa. At JNB no one checks your passport for a visa. There is an international transit route just prior to immigration. Look for the door on the right just before going down the stairs. The VOA is possible but a pain, especially if you don't speak Portuguese.

MiamiPrep May 21, 2017 6:47 am

MPM Transit

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 28339179)
If you don't overnight then you don't need a visa. At JNB no one checks your passport for a visa. There is an international transit route just prior to immigration. Look for the door on the right just before going down the stairs. The VOA is possible but a pain, especially if you don't speak Portuguese.

Yes I was just reading the MPM transit post. And I have done the JNB transit many times (just last month again).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...transit-3.html

Not sure if I can do carry-on luggage though. I will be finishing my current RTW with Thailand then OZ & New Zealand in August. So 2 climates & 2 weeks travel is pushing the comfort level without checked luggage. My current RTW will end: CHC-SYD-HKG-JNB. So it's unlikely that QF will through check my luggage onto a non-OW carrier for JNB-MPM (not even sure CX would do that if I tried it in SYD). Will cogitate the logistics, but checked luggage definitely complicates things. And another wrinkle: if I fly QR from DOH-MIA, I can't take my laptop/iPad in my cabin luggage anyway.

skunker May 21, 2017 10:23 am

Originally Posted by MiamiPrep (Post 28340088)
Yes I was just reading the MPM transit post. And I have done the JNB transit many times (just last month again).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...transit-3.html

Not sure if I can do carry-on luggage though. I will be finishing my current RTW with Thailand then OZ & New Zealand in August. So 2 climates & 2 weeks travel is pushing the comfort level without checked luggage. My current RTW will end: CHC-SYD-HKG-JNB. So it's unlikely that QF will through check my luggage onto a non-OW carrier for JNB-MPM (not even sure CX would do that if I tried it in SYD). Will cogitate the logistics, but checked luggage definitely complicates things. And another wrinkle: if I fly QR from DOH-MIA, I can't take my laptop/iPad in my cabin luggage anyway.

In theory you could have checked baggage. There was a report of being allowed to collect checked bags in MPM in transit and without a visa.

the problem would be the transit at JNB, as you said.

Also, the MPM-DOH-MIA connection is pretty bad. I just did it last month. We left almost an hour late out of MPM and that left me with an overnight at the airport with ~6 hours of lounge time. I had planned to switch to one of the late night flights to the US (JFK or PHL) but by the time we landed it was within an hour of those taking off.

ajnaro May 21, 2017 7:53 pm

[QUOTE=skunker;283407.

Also, the MPM-DOH-MIA connection is pretty bad. I just did it last month. We left almost an hour late out of MPM and that left me with an overnight at the airport with ~6 hours of lounge time. I had planned to switch to one of the late night flights to the US (JFK or PHL) but by the time we landed it was within an hour of those taking off.

[/QUOTE]

I just did MPM-DOH-JFK and it was great -- fantastic service, two hour connection in DOH with extraordinary lounges, comfortable sleep and morning arrival at JFK. The lounge in MPM was pretty weak, but check-in was quick and the departure timing meant no need to arrive early at the airport. My experience on this route was outstanding. And Maputo is now quite safe and relaxed.

skunker May 22, 2017 8:43 pm

My experience was the opposite of yours at MPM. Check-in for business class took 30 minutes. There was only one person handling check-in for business. Economy was a disaster. A QR rep came over and moved the barrier from an economy line to allow two check-in agents for business and almost caused a riot. People were screaming at him and after about 5 minutes he moved it back.

There was no one at security so that was quick but immigration took about another 30 minutes. The entire area past the radiation scanner was full of people to the point that no more could fit.

Maputo itself was fine. The airport wasn't.

ajnaro May 23, 2017 6:19 am

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 28347109)

My experience was the opposite of yours at MPM. Check-in for business class took 30 minutes. ...

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with check-in at MPM. I guess each day must be different. When I was there, QR had two agents for business and two agents for economy. The economy line was enormous, but that is normal for almost any airport. The business line moved quickly; the agents were friendly and helpful. A Qatar employee appeared and brought out orchids to decorate the desks with a great flourish. The immigration line was quick. There were several desks open and the ‘diplomat’ lane was accepting anyone. The business lounge was not very full, seats were comfortable, but the food was minimal and almost inedible. The flight itself was full as far as I could see, but service was fine. I must have had the greatest of luck.

Wasabi Tofu May 23, 2017 10:01 am

MPM checkin and lounge

My experience in this month (May 2017)

I arrived at the airprot 3 hours before the departure time.
I knew almost full flight by checking Expert Flyer.
However, there were short queues at both of economy and business.
Not bad.
Immigration and security were relatively smooth.

QR designated lounge was just a minimal, unstable WiFi, a very few AC outlets.
I moved to Priority Pass lounge near gate 1 that QR departed from.
This lounge had a good number of AC outlets and stable WiFi connection, but almost no food option.

anabolism Jun 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiPrep (Post 28340088)

One option would be to mail most of your stuff home from HKG, then have just carry-on for HKG-JNB, JNB-MPM, and MPM-DOH-xxx.

anabolism Jun 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 28339179)
If you don't overnight then you don't need a visa. At JNB no one checks your passport for a visa. There is an international transit route just prior to immigration. Look for the door on the right just before going down the stairs.

You can transit at MPM without a visa? Sounds well worth considering an ex-MPM DONEx, then. I suppose that just leaves the issue of obtaining the MPM-DOH BP?

R2 Jun 13, 2017 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 28439394)
You can transit at MPM without a visa? Sounds well worth considering an ex-MPM DONEx, then. I suppose that just leaves the issue of obtaining the MPM-DOH BP?

This is interesting. Is it possible to do same-plane turnaround at MPM (without visa)? I'm thinking of QR.