Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

RTW re-issue concerns (merged thread)

RTW re-issue concerns (merged thread)

Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
This doesn't mean that when you cancel the booking, the seats will go back to the D inventory.
No, and I would never contemplate making fictitious bookings. Airlines in general, and especially AA, take this very seriously. AA has banned people from flying for creating even temporary bookings. I assumed pdb456 was being facetious.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by anabolism
AA has banned people from flying for creating even temporary bookings.
Search the AA forum (or the DOT database) for Mr. Hayes.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Date Changes to an ex-cai Done5

I have a QR-plated agency-issued ex-CAI DONE5 that starts in early February. I want to make date changes to the last few flights. The agency says they cannot do the date change until I fly the first flight in February. My concern is that one of the flights I want to change (AA) has gone down to D2 on the date I need to move to (two passengers, so I need D2). I tried to get AA to upgrade a flight and re-issue, but AA said they couldn't because the ticket shouldn't have been issued in the first place, as there had been a memo to all OW carriers to pull ex-CAI fares. The agency says I can call QR to make the change if I want, but I wanted to check here before I try that; I obviously don't want to risk the ticket.
I made a number of date changes to my ex-cai AONE5 with the exception of the first flight. I made these some changes before I took the first flight.
I just re read the rules and date changes are allowed ( not Routing) by rules as long as last flight is 12 months or less from first flight. ( Sorry if you already knew that).
As for the response AA gave you :BS. The folks at the AA RTW desk are less than helpful these days. I would venture to say thay are obstructionists. AA stopped issuing the ex Cai RTW but I bought 2 from BA on the OW web site after AA stopped selling ex cai. For changes to existing tickets AA is better than BA for RTW but only if you can pry an approved routing out of them.

However that said: To be safe I would wait until you fly the first sector if you feel you ticket might be screwed up by the agency. I felt that every change I made through BA was poorly handeled and took 30-60 days. Also on the reissue ( on routing chages) I felt that BA collected much larger Y Fees than they should have because they had to manually reprice the re issue. My wife thought they were trying everthing to make using the cheap ticket difficult. One supervisor tried to force a downgrade on a segment that had first... I just called back and fixed that issue in a couple of days, no downgrades on the enire RTW..

I just finished my second AONE 6 in September: Sucessfully.. I will miss all the great First class flights on QR, QF, and CX that are now priced out of reach for us.
I would do it all again without hesitation!

Good luck !

PS I dumped AA as my program and I am back to BA Gold. I got a ton of Avios and Miles on the 2 Aone5's!
Calchas likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:17 am

Day of travel change from direct to one-stop: reissue required?

Im hoping those with more experience can provide a modicum of guidance re: a RTW flight change. One segment (but not the first segment) of my AONE5 is BA15, LHR-SYD direct with a brief refueling stop in SIN. BA15 departs LHR @ 21:45 while BA11 (direct LHR-SIN) departs LHR @19:05. With the intent of trying to spend more time in SIN, I was considering changing my RTW segment from BA15 to BA11 (LHR-SIN) + BA15 (SIN-SYD). I would try to make this change while transiting through LHR on the day of travel. Assuming there is F/A availability, the questions that arise: 1) would this necessitate a reissue? On one hand, there is no change to origin/destination/date of travel/stopover; OTOH it adds an additional segment to the JL-plated RTW, making my total segments 14 instead of 13. Or, since BA is the carrier, is there a day-of-travel alternative available to the agents because they operate the 2 flights in question? 2) There are varied reports regarding the BA ticket desk that would have the necessary expertise to handle this, i.e. transit desk vs First Class Check-in before security. Any personal experiences to suggest who I should approach first? Note: there is much discussion on the BA forum re: these specific flights but most is in relation to award travel or upgrades and none that I could find related to RTW tickets. Thanks in advance, even if your advice is to leave my itinerary alone because making this type of change would be asking for trouble.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:20 pm

Just curious: when carrier re-price the ticket does the old information moves to the new ticket? Example if ticket is booked from TA, plated in carrier X and then I make change through carrier Y and that carrier reprice it and sends new tickets (where it do says that: "Ticket issued by Y") what info moves to the ticket?

If I do changes in the future what next agent who touches the ticket sees? Can he/she see it was originally made through travel agent? When and where it was issued? What info moves when repricing or is it plain xONEx "new ticket"?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Leo123
If I do changes in the future what next agent who touches the ticket sees? Can he/she see it was originally made through travel agent? When and where it was issued? What info moves when repricing or is it plain xONEx "new ticket"?
Essentially, 4 to 5 pieces of information are carried forward and displayed on a new ticket;

the original ticket number,
the place of original issue,
the original date of issue,
the original issuing IATA number,
and the most recent ticket to have been exchanged (may or may not be the original.

In Amadeus (as used by BA, CX, QF, and others), that data will look something like this:

FO125-1234567890LHR20MAR18/00112233/125-4556677882

Other systems have the same info but different layouts.

No, this by itself doesn't show whether it was a travel agent, but it wouldn't be too difficult to look up the IATA number, or go back to the original ticket to see what system it was issued in, etc. There are even more clues (for agents) in the actual PNR too.
Calchas and Leo123 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Leo123
Just curious: when carrier re-price the ticket does the old information moves to the new ticket? Example if ticket is booked from TA, plated in carrier X and then I make change through carrier Y and that carrier reprice it and sends new tickets (where it do says that: "Ticket issued by Y") what info moves to the ticket?

Your itinerary has two main things: the reservations (typically called a PNR), and once ticketed, the e-ticket. Both carry a lot of information. The PNR retains the history of which agents modified it and what changes were done as well as potentially other notes such as from one airline department to another. (These notes can be a problem if, e.g., one person at an airline adds a note that it was an error fare and to forbid all voluntary changes.)

The PNR usually indicates if it was an agency versus airline booking originally. Most agents won't bother digging through all this unless there's a reasons to. Tickets indicate if they were an exchange from an earlier ticket, so the chain of tickets can be followed to the original.
JAXBA and Leo123 like this.

Last edited by anabolism; Feb 18, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by helgaflyer
Im hoping those with more experience can provide a modicum of guidance re: a RTW flight change. One segment (but not the first segment) of my AONE5 is BA15, LHR-SYD direct with a brief refueling stop in SIN. BA15 departs LHR @ 21:45 while BA11 (direct LHR-SIN) departs LHR @19:05. With the intent of trying to spend more time in SIN, I was considering changing my RTW segment from BA15 to BA11 (LHR-SIN) + BA15 (SIN-SYD). I would try to make this change while transiting through LHR on the day of travel. Assuming there is F/A availability, the questions that arise: 1) would this necessitate a reissue? On one hand, there is no change to origin/destination/date of travel/stopover; OTOH it adds an additional segment to the JL-plated RTW, making my total segments 14 instead of 13. Or, since BA is the carrier, is there a day-of-travel alternative available to the agents because they operate the 2 flights in question? 2) There are varied reports regarding the BA ticket desk that would have the necessary expertise to handle this, i.e. transit desk vs First Class Check-in before security. Any personal experiences to suggest who I should approach first? Note: there is much discussion on the BA forum re: these specific flights but most is in relation to award travel or upgrades and none that I could find related to RTW tickets. Thanks in advance, even if your advice is to leave my itinerary alone because making this type of change would be asking for trouble.
I find trying to make chages to a RTW at the LHR desk difficult. Perhaps others have had different experiences. Are you traveling with check in luggage?
I have taken the one stop same flight number flights transiting SIN on QF from SYD. It is just not a refueling stop. One has to exit the aircraft, take carry on items, go through security checks an then re board. I was at max segments so I could not stop, but you have less than 16 segments so that is not an issue. I would consider making those changes before departure. Are you on an EX CAI RTW ticket? All of my changes were after the first segment was flown. JL is the issuing carrier or was it issued via an agent?
2) QF also has a LHR-SIN-SYD flight.
3) I found most changes to flights required a re issuance. Perhaps some charges for local exit taxes from Singapore. There should not be a change fee because it is not a rerouting. Keep in mind: not every agent and airline reads the rules the same way....
It does not hurt to call the airline and ask. Good luck.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by 2old4coach
I find trying to make chages to a RTW at the LHR desk difficult. Perhaps others have had different experiences. Are you traveling with check in luggage?
I have taken the one stop same flight number flights transiting SIN on QF from SYD. It is just not a refueling stop. One has to exit the aircraft, take carry on items, go through security checks an then re board. I was at max segments so I could not stop, but you have less than 16 segments so that is not an issue. I would consider making those changes before departure. Are you on an EX CAI RTW ticket? All of my changes were after the first segment was flown. JL is the issuing carrier or was it issued via an agent?
2) QF also has a LHR-SIN-SYD flight.
3) I found most changes to flights required a re issuance. Perhaps some charges for local exit taxes from Singapore. There should not be a change fee because it is not a rerouting. Keep in mind: not every agent and airline reads the rules the same way....
It does not hurt to call the airline and ask. Good luck.
If LHR-SYD is booked and ticketed as a single segment and you change it to be two segments (LHR-SIN-SYD), that is definitely a re-route as it clearly is a change to the "ticketed points." As such, the $125USD re-route fee applies, and if you have not yet flown the first segment, then the entire itinerary is re-priced at current prices.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
My horror story of RTW change at checkin counter.

my RTW was
---CDG-xLHR-DXB-xLHR-JNB-....

At BA checkin counter in CDG, I asked an agent changing ealier flight.
The agent casually changed my flight.
A few days later, at BA DXB checkin counter, an agent said 'You don't have reservation for DXB-LHR'.
BA cancelled my DXB-xLHR-JNB flights because of no show of the ORIGIANL CDG-LHR flight !!

You had better not expect propoer reissue and ticketing of RTW at an airport counter.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
At BA checkin counter in CDG, I asked an agent changing ealier flight.
The agent casually changed my flight.
A few days later, at BA DXB checkin counter, an agent said 'You don't have reservation for DXB-LHR'.
BA cancelled my DXB-xLHR-JNB flights because of no show of the ORIGIANL CDG-LHR flight !!
Well, good for you. If BA cancels your ticket for an invalid reason, then you have your 600 euros and free rebooking of the flight.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:29 pm

@2old4coach (love the username!): thx for sharing your experiences. Regarding your questions, the ticket was issued by an agent with JL as the plating carrier. It is not ex-CAI but is also an "at-risk" ticket because of the fare circumstances. From reports by others with this same type of ticket it seems that if a RTW trip has already begun and the pax requests a change requiring reissue, other airlines have [sometimes] re-issued the ticket and have taken ownership of the ticket without any problem. OTOH, if the reissue is not done correctly it could clearly influence/invalidate the remainder of the ticket. In my case, I see an easy error that could occur related to dates: BA15 departs LHR on date X and arrives SYD date X+2. If an agent is willing to break up the trip into 2 segments (BA11+BA15), then BA11 should depart on date X but the agent would have to ensure that s/he cancels my original flight on BA15 and tickets me for the second half of BA15 to depart SIN on date X+1. If it is not done correctly (as in the sobering example offered by Wasabi Tofu) then poof! a no-show occurs and there goes the remainder of the ticket. It seems that, far from being an exact science, the success of changing these tickets relies heavily (and perhaps exclusively) on the knowledge and skills of the humans who intervene in an attempt to "help" the pax. Now, if only I could devise a way to both get my flights changed AND earn 600 euros.... <wink>
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by helgaflyer
@2old4coach (love the username!): thx for sharing your experiences. Regarding your questions, the ticket was issued by an agent with JL as the plating carrier. It is not ex-CAI but is also an "at-risk" ticket because of the fare circumstances. From reports by others with this same type of ticket it seems that if a RTW trip has already begun and the pax requests a change requiring reissue, other airlines have [sometimes] re-issued the ticket and have taken ownership of the ticket without any problem. OTOH, if the reissue is not done correctly it could clearly influence/invalidate the remainder of the ticket. In my case, I see an easy error that could occur related to dates: BA15 departs LHR on date X and arrives SYD date X+2. If an agent is willing to break up the trip into 2 segments (BA11+BA15), then BA11 should depart on date X but the agent would have to ensure that s/he cancels my original flight on BA15 and tickets me for the second half of BA15 to depart SIN on date X+1. If it is not done correctly (as in the sobering example offered by Wasabi Tofu) then poof! a no-show occurs and there goes the remainder of the ticket. It seems that, far from being an exact science, the success of changing these tickets relies heavily (and perhaps exclusively) on the knowledge and skills of the humans who intervene in an attempt to "help" the pax. Now, if only I could devise a way to both get my flights changed AND earn 600 euros.... <wink>
In my own experience, the risk of an agent leaving old segments in the reservation, causing a no-show, is minimal. It's also quite easy to check by using the GDS-supplied tools: checkmytrip and tripcase both provide access to the actual record, so you can see what is and isn't there. (Tripcase will not show AA-booked itineraries, but agent-issued ones are fine.)
helgaflyer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:59 am

If LHR-SYD is booked and ticketed as a single segment and you change it to be two segments (LHR-SIN-SYD), that is definitely a re-route as it clearly is a change to the "ticketed points." As such, the $125USD re-route fee applies, and if you have not yet flown the first segment, then the entire itinerary is re-priced at current prices.
Yes you are right. "Ticketed point rule applies!"
I stand corrected! ( I guess I just enjoy Singapore.. worth $125. to me...easy trip into the city, good food, etc.)

Cheers,
2old4coach
Old May 8, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: SQ*G BA GGL/CCR
Writing this onboard QR8 (hello fab Q Suite ).

I'm currently on two separate tickets
a) LHR-DOH-JNB 8th May
b) JNB-DOH-SFO 9th May (booked as part of a Oneworld RTW through BA)

I was only going to be in JNB for 9 hours for meetings. Basically arrive 9th May 09.50 and departing at 20.50. The LHR-DOH is very delayed and I just got an alert on the QR app to say that QR was "re-accommodating" me on the later DOH-JNB flight (landing at 15.00). This means it's pointless for me to be in JNB as I miss the meetings.

What I want to do on landing in Doha in 4 hours is drop the DOH-JNB and bring forward the DOH-SFO. However the RTW ticket rules mean I *have* to complete the JNB-DOH sector.

1) Is it technically possible for QR to waive the ticket rules for the xDone flight and allow me to drop the JNB-DOH in these circumstances without me losing the rest of the RTW sectors? And are my best chances with the ground staff at the airport or the BA GGL line (who did the ticket).
2) Bonus points for how I can get a refund for the DOH-JNB sector
3) Bonus bonus points for how to get the tier points and mileage (I know right. Very kiasu).

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.