Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

2016-2022 Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

2016-2022 Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Old Sep 18, 22, 8:09 am

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by henry999 View Post
I wonder what kind of 'own metal' hijinks there will be, since (IIRC) there are no AS trans-oceanic routes. (Are there?)
AS doesn't have trans-Pacific on its own metal for sure, but it has the code-shares with QF.
Old Sep 18, 22, 8:21 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Old favorite JNB comes in close to OSL
DONE3 5311
DONE4 5825
DONE5 6624
DONE6 7823
Old Sep 20, 22, 8:03 am

Programs: BA DL
To give some idea of the total cost I have booked the following in the past three months (both are 16 segment DONE4s in USD):

Ex-TYO $5,798 + $1,197 = $6,995
Ex-KEF $6,207 + $501 = $6,708

The base fare for TYO is now quite a bit lower. I don't have the full breakdown, but I assume that the taxes and fees are much higher on the ex-TYO routing because there are more BA segments. (BTW, you can get in and out of KEF on AY).
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:51 am

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)
Originally Posted by wingzing View Post
To give some idea of the total cost I have booked the following in the past three months (both are 16 segment DONE4s in USD):

The base fare for TYO is now quite a bit lower. I don't have the full breakdown, but I assume that the taxes and fees are much higher on the ex-TYO routing because there are more BA segments. (BTW, you can get in and out of KEF on AY).
How did you book these?

I did an ex-ARN DONE4 before COVID that surprised me by how low the taxes and fees were, because it had no BA segments. But I usually book with AA, which charges its own and BA's surcharges for sure. I wonder if there are airlines that don't, or that charge less?
Old Sep 20, 22, 7:21 pm

Both booked with AA. Ex-KEF surcharges are surprisingly low. Using IB across the pond.
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold

Thanks for the intel/info. ex-Japan had always been kind of high in taxes & airline surcharges. I used CX as first segment in both of my ex-tyo DONE3s. I recall only 1 BA segments in each of those itins. I think QR surcharges are high too (don't know for fact). I usually had many QR segments.

Never thought of ex-KEF. AY is your first segment carrier? Is it seasonal?
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:11 pm

KEF-HEL is year round, but only 4 days/week in winter
allset2travel likes this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 1:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Both booked with AA. Ex-KEF surcharges are surprisingly low. Using IB across the pond.
Can you give your routing ? Thanks
Old Sep 25, 22, 8:12 am

KEF-HEL-SIN-SYD-AKL-DFW-BOS-ORD-SEA-JNU-SEA-BOS-MAD-MUC, PRG-HEL-KEF

I am Boston based, so really three trips here. Lots of trouble finding D class availability between Europe and SYD. Originally had to start KEF-LHR-BLR-SYD, but HEL-SIN opened up before I ticketed.
pbd456 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 11:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
KEF-HEL-SIN-SYD-AKL-DFW-BOS-ORD-SEA-JNU-SEA-BOS-MAD-MUC, PRG-HEL-KEF

I am Boston based, so really three trips here. Lots of trouble finding D class availability between Europe and SYD. Originally had to start KEF-LHR-BLR-SYD, but HEL-SIN opened up before I ticketed.
Looks like you have 1 ground segment (MUC // PRG).

If you could back track to MUC somehow, you can add MUC-DOH. That way you can try out SkyTrax #1 airlines' QR on B788 & Al Mourjan lounge.
Old Yesterday, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
New to this so have a few (possible) numpty questions.

I have an Evoucher from BA and would like to use it for this RTW trip.
Q1 I assume I have to start the trip with a BA ticket (though not necessarily from UK) ?
Q1a I would have to ring BA to book.

I get several errors on certain routings saying "cannot find a flight on this date" when there are clearly flights.
Q2 Is this because there is a special ticket bucket fare that is truly not available or is the tool wrong?

Example KEF-Lon in Jan 2023-No economy fare but there is Business-Then looking at the detail it says this flight has no Business seats so you are in Economy!
Example 2 DUB-Lon-No flights!

Odd behaviour?
I get an error:-
There is an unexpected issue when requesting a price for this itinerary. Please try changing a flight, date, cabin or city/destination.

When I change the carrier (from IB to BA in this case) it all works fine.
Anyone know why?

Thanks
Old Yesterday, 5:05 am

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by blindman View Post
Example KEF-Lon in Jan 2023-No economy fare but there is Business-Then looking at the detail it says this flight has no Business seats so you are in Economy!
Both L and D classes are available most days in mid- and late Jan. Something is wrong. Just call BA I guess.
Old Yesterday, 5:22 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA PLT
I had to google "numpty"
My 2c worth below.

Originally Posted by blindman View Post
New to this so have a few (possible) numpty questions.

I have an Evoucher from BA and would like to use it for this RTW trip.
Q1 I assume I have to start the trip with a BA ticket (though not necessarily from UK) ?
Q1a I would have to ring BA to book.
I don't know the technicalities of using BA vouchers. Perhaps better asked on the BA forum?
A complete RTW ticket is issued by one airline (usually the first carrier on the ticket), there aren't separate tickets issued by each carrier on the itinerary
I expect that BA would be your issuing carrier, but given its relations ship other airlines (IB, QR?) maybe it can be issued by another airline
If you can get the tool to work and BA is the issuing carrier, then you will have to phone BA to pay and I guess that is when you can ask to use your voucher

I get several errors on certain routings saying "cannot find a flight on this date" when there are clearly flights.
Q2 Is this because there is a special ticket bucket fare that is truly not available or is the tool wrong?
The RTW booking tool is so buggy we have a separate thread on its bugs
This is a known bug that has been reported to Oneworld. No action has ever been taken to fix it (or any of the other bugs)
The RTW tickets do use specific fare buckets (A for 1st class, D for business class, and L for economy class) but these buckets are not unique to the RTW tickets, plenty of other fares use them too
The tool is most certainly wrong!

Example 2 DUB-Lon-No flights!

Odd behaviour?
I get an error:-
There is an unexpected issue when requesting a price for this itinerary. Please try changing a flight, date, cabin or city/destination.

When I change the carrier (from IB to BA in this case) it all works fine.
Anyone know why?
Another known bug. As you've discovered, playing around with carriers (especially the first carrier), and sometimes picking a different routing, will clear the error
There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it

Thanks
Old Yesterday, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Thank you both for the quick replies and the fare bucket codes.

Last Q.
Q2b
As I will have to phone to book to use my eVoucher I assume I would ignore any blatant tool errors and relay my route to the BA operative.
I could figure out the taxes using ITA Matrix., though not sure about the base cost?

I'll look at the bug thread
Old Yesterday, 8:43 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA PLT
Assuming you're thinking of the Oneworld Explorer ticket (and not the less popular Global Explorer ticket), it may be worth your while reading the Oneworld Explorer Guide wiki

"...and relay my route to the BA operative.."
Absolutely, just have everything ready.

In the past I have simply fed the agent:
Date From-To Flight Number
for each flight I want
The agent takes all that and passes it to the airline's Fares Team who verify compliance with the rules and price it.

As for the Base Fare, what's your starting point and cabin class?

Search this Thread