Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

2016-2022 Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

2016-2022 Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Old Mar 25, 22, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)
Originally Posted by henry999 View Post
This could be big. It's not too many years ago that the general understanding here was that any airline involved on an xONEx itinerary could write the ticket -- although some, e.g., AA, didn't want to bother with it unless there was a trans-oceanic segment on their metal (but I vaguely remember anecdotes in this forum about people getting trips ticketed by carriers who weren't even involved at all!).
Yes, although just for clarity, some airlines insisted that there be an overwater flight marketed by them (that is, with their flight number, regardless of which carrier operated it [whose metal]).

Originally Posted by henry999 View Post
If it's not an AA initiative policy change but rather something imposed upon the AA RTW desk by OW, then it raises a couple of questions. (1) Is this something that OW wants to enforce (for whatever reason) only on AA, or (2) is it something that will sooner or later apply to all OW carriers in their writing of xONEx tix? That could be a conscious strategy to either force some OW members to up their game or alternatively to make the xONEx (and perhaps the GlobalX too but I don't know anything about that one) much less attractive to pax.
Indeed, but I wouldn't put too much stock in what a AA ATW agent says about these things, as they don't necessarily know what they're talking about. Also, AA has significant influence in OneWorld, so there's no chance that OW would institute such a policy if AA didn't want them to.
Old Apr 4, 22, 6:46 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA
I have heard back from Oneworld on this:
"No, we do not require that the first carrier tickets RTW itineraries. We do use that rule currently in the online booking tool, but even there, there are exceptions (e.g. QF tickets when AS are the first carrier, as AS wanted to avoid ticketing when they joined the alliance).
Perhaps some agents are confused by the online booking rule at AA. I will try to investigate.
Many thanks for pointing this out!"
The email is from a VP in Oneworld, so I think it carries some authority.
(As an aside, I was not aware that QF did the ticketing for AS.)

Originally Posted by pandaperth View Post
So I was trying to set up my next DONE4 (yay!). Starts in Asia the first carrier being UL (Sri Lankan)

Phoned AA’s RTW desk, as I’ve done before. Per AA’s previous policy I had an AA “overwater” flight in the itinerary (i.e. intercontinental flight) which is what they required to ticket an itinerary where the first flight is not an AA flight.
  • First agent said they won’t do it, because AA is not the first carrier
  • HUCA – and got the same agent!
  • HUCA – different agent put me on hold to check with a supervisor; after 45mins on hold I hung up
  • HUCA- 3rd agent said AA has changed its policy – now AA must be either the first carrier or the first overwater carrier for them to ticket
Thoughts?
Old Apr 11, 22, 9:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Reading the OneWorld Explorer User Guide, I can't quite figure out if Alaska is considered part of the West Coast, i.e. if ANC-PHL counts as a transcontinental flight or not. Any clues?
Old Apr 11, 22, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andreiz View Post
Reading the OneWorld Explorer User Guide, I can't quite figure out if Alaska is considered part of the West Coast, i.e. if ANC-PHL counts as a transcontinental flight or not. Any clues?
https://www.oneworld.com/world-travel
Go to "How is my fare calculated" (down the bottom)
Click on "oneworld explorer" Downloads OW rule 3015
Look at 4 section K (page 5)
Alaska is not in column A or column B.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ANC-PHL...X&MS=wls&DU=mi

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 11, 22 at 10:31 pm
Old Apr 11, 22, 11:24 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA
Looking in ExpertFlyer, I cannot see any direct flights between ANC and PHL (for any airlines, not just Oneworld Airlines - i.e. AS or AA)
If that is the case, then to get from ANC to PHL you would need to connect somewhere (and AFAIK the only places to connect are on the west coast or in the mid-west) and so there is no transcontinental "non-stop or single plane service" flight involving ANC
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Apr 12, 22, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Thanks, that's exactly what I saw, but the online tool was throwing up errors saying "only one flight to Alaska and one flight from Alaska is allowed" when I had ORD-SEA-ANC-SEA-PHL segments there, so I wanted to check.
Old Apr 12, 22, 3:56 pm

I've done a couple of fairly straightforward RTWs before, one ex-AMM DONE4 and another ex-NRT DONE3. I am currently looking at booking ex-OSL DONE4 and have a couple of questions that I haven't run into before, so hopefully can find some answers here:

1. If I book Europe-North America-South America-Asia, start the trip and then while the itinerary is in NA portion decide to change South America to Australia (paying the change fee and all), is that going to be possible?

2. Is it possible to fly from Australia to Europe without touching Asia? Via DOH maybe?
Old Apr 12, 22, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done a couple of fairly straightforward RTWs before, one ex-AMM DONE4 and another ex-NRT DONE3. I am currently looking at booking ex-OSL DONE4 and have a couple of questions that I haven't run into before, so hopefully can find some answers here:

1. If I book Europe-North America-South America-Asia, start the trip and then while the itinerary is in NA portion decide to change South America to Australia (paying the change fee and all), is that going to be possible?

2. Is it possible to fly from Australia to Europe without touching Asia? Via DOH maybe?
Q2
QF currently have flights MEL/SYD-DRW-LHR (Darwin, Australia). Later in the year these will become MEL-PER-LHR & SYD-SIN-LHR.
But OW still consider all those as touching Asia.

andreiz likes this.
Old Apr 12, 22, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold

Q2
QF currently have flights MEL/SYD-DRW-LHR (Darwin, Australia). Later in the year these will become MEL-PER-LHR & SYD-SIN-LHR.
But OW still consider all those as touching Asia.

1. Yes, see part 16 of the rules for changes. You could change to EUR-NA-Asia-SWP-(Asia)-EUR. You are permitted two transits in Asia when traveling from SWP to EUR. From the rules:
  1. (e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
    1. Two permitted in North America.
    2. Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and

Europe/Middle East.
    3. Two permitted in Europe/Middle East for travel to/from/via Africa.

If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa.
2. To expand on Mwenenzi's answer, from the rules:
Travel between South West Pacific and Europe/Middle East on a single flight number/or by surface eg LON- SYD/MEL/PER vv, DOH-ADL/AKL/CBR/MEL/PER/SYD vv, is considered travelling via Asia. Continents South West Pacific, Asia and Europe/Middle East must each be counted.
Old Apr 13, 22, 9:29 am

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)

Thanks, that's exactly what I saw, but the online tool was throwing up errors saying "only one flight to Alaska and one flight from Alaska is allowed" when I had ORD-SEA-ANC-SEA-PHL segments there, so I wanted to check.
While Alaska is not in the table that defines transcons, there is text just below the table that says
Additionally, only one flight to State of Alaska and one flight from State of Alaska permitted.
Obviously, ORD-SEA-ANC-SEA-PHL only has one flight into and one flight out of Alaska, so it seems to be a bug in the online tool.
Old Apr 19, 22, 7:34 pm

not particularly convenient for most, but with the current weakness of JPY, ex-TYO xONEx fares are looking cheap again
aaupgrade and Viajero Millero like this.
Old Apr 20, 22, 4:19 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by desafino View Post
not particularly convenient for most, but with the current weakness of JPY, ex-TYO xONEx fares are looking cheap again
And the forecast looks even better: https://longforecast.com/usd-jpy-for...021-dollar-yen
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:06 am

Well, time to consider a DONEx trip since my last AONE4 was during the Egyptian pound collapse in 2017. I have read thru the forum over the last few months in order to check the status of ticketing these trips.

It seems that the AA RTW desk has deteriorated in quality over the last few years. Because the 1st 2 segments are on QR Is this still the best option? I assume that the oneworld web site still cannot process an itinerary with QR as the 1st segment.

Since the trip is ex-OSL, I assume that the cost is in NOK converted to USD if AA does the ticketing. There was an example with the pricing in EUR from the oneword website. Don’t want a NOK to EUR to USD conversion on my credit card.

My 2010 version of the rules was more explicit regarding changes.

(a) Date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory changes are permitted provided ticketed points remain the same.(b) Changes other than to Date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory permitted at a charge of USD125.00 per transaction.

The current rules are: Changes are permitted provided ticketed points remain the same. Changes to ticketed points permitted at a charge of USD125.00 per transaction.

Is this a problem when changing dates/flights/carrier?

I’m planning a DONE3, but may change to a DONE4 after starting the trip. Any issues with doing so other than the extra cost for the DONE4 using the rates at the time of ticketing of the original DONE3?

What are the current opening hours and phone number for AA RTW desk?

Thanks.
Cynicor likes this.

Search this Thread