Search

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Hopefully this is the correct thread.
  1. Had a DONE 4 originating from CMB - not yet started.
  2. A schedule change occurred resulting in an arrival 7+ hours later mid trip.
  3. Called the AA RTW and was advised it qualified for a full refund, canceled the trip and was walked through the online refund request.
  4. A week later an email refusing the refund as it is "non refundable".
  5. Called the AA RTW desk and they view it as still in "pre-refund status" even though at aa.com shows a denied status.
Before I call back I'd like to be sure if it qualifies for a full refund or, in the worst case scenario, a 5% penalty.

Thanks
I'm not sure anything has really changed from when you asked this a couple of weeks ago and I don't know if any of us really know the answer. You can cancel and issued but not yet started DONE4 and receive a refund less 5%.
(b) Cancellations and Refunds
  1. After ticket issuance - Cancellation/No Show
    Forfeit 10% of ticketed fare for Economy Class fares
    Forfeit 5% of ticketed fare for Business/First Class fares
  2. In case of refusal of official documents/entry permit/visa a full refund will apply provided official documentation from the approved authority is produced and attached to the refund request.
  3. For partially used transportation the refund if any will be the difference between the fare paid and the fare for the transportation used less the fee specified in (1) above.

NOTE: For tickets sold in Venezuela any full or partial refund must be processed through the original issuing location in Venezuela.
Whether or not you can cancel without the penalty for a 7 hour time change to one of the flights is up to AA and its policies as noted by Mwenenzi in the other thread.
See:
Requesting refund for a canceled flight
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I'm not sure anything has really changed from when you asked this a couple of weeks ago and I don't know if any of us really know the answer. You can cancel and issued but not yet started DONE4 and receive a refund less 5%.

Whether or not you can cancel without the penalty for a 7 hour time change to one of the flights is up to AA and its policies as noted by Mwenenzi in the other thread.
See:
Requesting refund for a canceled flight
What had changed was I was asking for information before cancelling and trying to find out about previous experience from others (sort of the reason for FT?). Now I've cancelled and received an outcome different than expected and, again, asking for previous experience and knowledge. But thanks for the link.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
My point is (was) that for a refund based upon a retiming of a flight it will still be subject to AA's policies.
I've refunded several unflown xonex tickets over the years (including thru the AA RTW desk) but always subject to the 5% reduction. If the AA RTW desk told me it was refundable in full (without the 5% fee) then I would take it up with the RTW desk or sit tight if they say everything is fine. If AA eventually comes back and says it isn't refundable at all, then I think you would recontact the AA RTW desk, AA customer service, and file a DOT complaint.
For the dates of your planned trip, will you actually be able to enter those countries? Rule 16(b)(2) would provide a full refund under the xonex rules if you are not able to enter, and you wouldn't have to rely upon AA's policies regarding cancellation/refund for a flight retiming.
tkelvin69 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Here is the relevant section of the fare rules. I was able to get a full refund for my exKRT years ago when my kid ended up in the hospital.
Code:
CANCELLATIONS

CHARGE 5 PERCENT FOR CANCEL/NO-SHOW/REFUND.
       WAIVED FOR ILLNESS OR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR
          FAMILY MEMBER.
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
          LOCAL SERVICE FEES MAY APPLY ON REFUND.
          -------------------------------------------------
          CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
          -
          AFTER TICKET ISSUE - CANCELLATION/NO SHOW
          FORFEIT 5PCT OF TICKETED FARE FOR BUSINESS/FIRST
          CLASS FARES.
          ---
          IN CASE OF REFUSAL OF OFFICAL DOCUMENTS/ENTRY
          PERMIT/VISA A FULL REFUND WILL APPLY PROVIDED
          OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION FROM THE APPROVED AUTHORITY
          IS PRODUCED AND ATTACHED TO THE REFUND REQUEST.
          -
          FOR PARTIALLY USED TRANSPORTATION THE REFUND IF
          ANY WILL BE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FARE PAID AND
          THE FARE FOR THE TRANSPORTATION USED LESS THE
          FEE AMOUNT SPECIFED ABOVE.
          -
          FOR TICKETS SOLD IN VENEZUELA ANY FULL OR PARTIAL
          REFUND MUST BE PROCESSED THROUGH THE ORIGINAL
          ISSUING LOCATION IN VENEZUELA.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
AA RTW Desk – changed policy

So I was trying to set up my next DONE4 (yay!). Starts in Asia the first carrier being UL (Sri Lankan)

Phoned AA’s RTW desk, as I’ve done before. Per AA’s previous policy I had an AA “overwater” flight in the itinerary (i.e. intercontinental flight) which is what they required to ticket an itinerary where the first flight is not an AA flight.
  • First agent said they won’t do it, because AA is not the first carrier
  • HUCA – and got the same agent!
  • HUCA – different agent put me on hold to check with a supervisor; after 45mins on hold I hung up
  • HUCA- 3rd agent said AA has changed its policy – now AA must be either the first carrier or the first overwater carrier for them to ticket
Thoughts?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thoughts?
HUCA
Phone AA Aust
HUCA
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Thoughts?
AFAIK my Perth Aussie travel agent (who has issued OWE in the past) is still "working"
I will check on the Colombo agent.....

In case I am going to go wandering
Fred
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth
So I was trying to set up my next DONE4 (yay!). Starts in Asia the first carrier being UL (Sri Lankan)

Phoned AA’s RTW desk, as I’ve done before. Per AA’s previous policy I had an AA “overwater” flight in the itinerary (i.e. intercontinental flight) which is what they required to ticket an itinerary where the first flight is not an AA flight.
  • HUCA – different agent put me on hold to check with a supervisor; after 45mins on hold I hung up
  • HUCA- 3rd agent said AA has changed its policy – now AA must be either the first carrier or the first overwater carrier for them to ticket
Thoughts?
If AAgent name Kelly is still there, ask for her by name. She seems to know the products & rules well, and seems to have the authority to act on things. My experience that was.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
Here is the relevant section of the fare rules. I was able to get a full refund for my exKRT years ago when my kid ended up in the hospital.
Code:
CANCELLATIONS

CHARGE 5 PERCENT FOR CANCEL/NO-SHOW/REFUND.
WAIVED FOR ILLNESS OR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR
FAMILY MEMBER.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
LOCAL SERVICE FEES MAY APPLY ON REFUND.
-------------------------------------------------
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
-
AFTER TICKET ISSUE - CANCELLATION/NO SHOW
FORFEIT 5PCT OF TICKETED FARE FOR BUSINESS/FIRST
CLASS FARES.
---
IN CASE OF REFUSAL OF OFFICAL DOCUMENTS/ENTRY
PERMIT/VISA A FULL REFUND WILL APPLY PROVIDED
OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION FROM THE APPROVED AUTHORITY
IS PRODUCED AND ATTACHED TO THE REFUND REQUEST.
-
FOR PARTIALLY USED TRANSPORTATION THE REFUND IF
ANY WILL BE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FARE PAID AND
THE FARE FOR THE TRANSPORTATION USED LESS THE
FEE AMOUNT SPECIFED ABOVE.
-
FOR TICKETS SOLD IN VENEZUELA ANY FULL OR PARTIAL
REFUND MUST BE PROCESSED THROUGH THE ORIGINAL
ISSUING LOCATION IN VENEZUELA.
Thanks for clipping the Cancellation Rules.
Do you think Paragraph 3, "FOR PARTIALLY USED ....." applies to current COVID restrictions to countries (stop-over and/or transit) like HKG, BOM, KEL, TYO?
I am sitting on a partial ticket that covers those very cities/countries.

Is there an Article # for that Clipping with which I can quote to the AAgent, if & when necessary?

TIA.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Per AA’s previous policy I had an AA “overwater” flight in the itinerary (i.e. intercontinental flight) which is what they required to ticket an itinerary where the first flight is not an AA flight.
On a similar note, once AA have written the ticket according to their own 'requirements', can they refuse to change it? Here's a hypothetical: say the original booking includes ... -NRT-LAX-JFK- ... on AA. If I need / want to pay the $125 and make some changes, could I get ... -NRT-HKG-JFK- ... on CX?

Anybody have any experience with such a thing and the AA RTW desk? TIA
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by henry999
On a similar note, once AA have written the ticket according to their own 'requirements', can they refuse to change it? Here's a hypothetical: say the original booking includes ... -NRT-LAX-JFK- ... on AA. If I need / want to pay the $125 and make some changes, could I get ... -NRT-HKG-JFK- ... on CX?

Anybody have any experience with such a thing and the AA RTW desk? TIA
You should be able to do that. Only issue is if that was your only overwater AA flight, an AA RTW agent might object, but in that case you could book the CX flight as an AA code.
henry999 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Longish story short - I managed to ticket my itinerary using the booking tool (!) and to pay Sri Lankan Airlines for it. So all's well that ends well I guess. I'm also more comfortable than I had expected to be in dealing with SriLankan customer service - I've had a number of interactions with them getting everything set up, competence has been patchy, but those that were competent were very competent

Thoughts?
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
AFAIK my Perth Aussie travel agent (who has issued OWE in the past) is still "working"
I will check on the Colombo agent.....

In case I am going to go wandering
Fred
Thanks for the contact details of your Colombo agent. She tried hard to get my itinerary ticketed, but wasn't able to do it.
Originally Posted by allset2travel
If AAgent name Kelly is still there, ask for her by name. She seems to know the products & rules well, and seems to have the authority to act on things. My experience that was.
I tried the AA RTW desk a few more times, I was not able to get Kelly but the agents I did speak to were both fully aware of the policy change, the second agent said it had come from Oneworld (so not an AA initiative). I'm going to email one of my contacts inside Oneworld to get a verification of that and maybe what the rationale is for the change.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Thanks for the contact details of your Colombo agent. She tried hard to get my itinerary ticketed, but wasn't able to do it.
As I read it, the first OVER WATER flight translates to "between continents"?
And Pakistan to Sri Lanka is all within Asia.
But UL would still have been the first carrier - ticketed and metal flown
Was there a specific reason a TA could not ticket?

Please help my understanding of the new wandering
Fred
moa999 and Cynicor like this.

Last edited by wandering_fred; Mar 24, 2022 at 8:57 am
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
As I read it, the first OVER WATER flight translates to "between continents"?
Suspect "OVER WATER" means the segment across TC, so TC1-TC2, TC2-TC3, or TC3-TC1, or v. v. GDS autoprice would pick the first "OVER WATER" airline as validating carrier, although it can be overriden.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
... agent said AA has changed its policy – now AA must be either the first carrier or the first overwater carrier for them to ticket.
I tried the AA RTW desk a few more times ... [another] agent said it had come from Oneworld (so not an AA initiative). I'm going to email one of my contacts inside Oneworld to get a verification of that and maybe what the rationale is for the change.
This could be big. It's not too many years ago that the general understanding here was that any airline involved on an xONEx itinerary could write the ticket -- although some, e.g., AA, didn't want to bother with it unless there was a trans-oceanic segment on their metal (but I vaguely remember anecdotes in this forum about people getting trips ticketed by carriers who weren't even involved at all!).

If it's not an AA initiative policy change but rather something imposed upon the AA RTW desk by OW, then it raises a couple of questions. (1) Is this something that OW wants to enforce (for whatever reason) only on AA, or (2) is it something that will sooner or later apply to all OW carriers in their writing of xONEx tix? That could be a conscious strategy to either force some OW members to up their game or alternatively to make the xONEx (and perhaps the GlobalX too but I don't know anything about that one) much less attractive to pax.

It will be interesting to see if / when / how this new requirement is incorporated into the Rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.