Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by anabolism
I've heard a few scattered reports of some success, but also stories of QR and BA refusing. Have you tried, @ajnaro? Any luck?
Here’s a summary of what happened. Following suggestions, I tried calling the QR office in Hong Kong. The phone number is now an 800 and goes through to Chongqing. The agent there took down the date changes (no route changes) I requested and sent it on to Doha. The answer that came back was “I am sorry to inform you that we are not able to assist with the change as the publish fare not quoted on our system.” I then called the AA rtw desk. The agent there told me to get a release from the issuing travel agent. I was then able to make changes, paying the usual fees calculated by tariffs. Naturally, all depends on the good will of the AA agent.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA

QF in Amadeus are showing the discounted and 'normal' prices together:
(For clarity, the after 03JUN, before 30JUN prices are the discounted version)

Code:
FQDSYDSYD/AQF/VRW/CL
ROE 1.428637 UP TO 1.00 AUD
13JUN19**18MAY20/QF SYDSYD/NLX;RW/TPM ...../MPM .....
LN FARE BASIS OW AUD RT B PEN DATES/DAYS AP MIN MAX R
01 LONE3 2799 L @ A03JUN B30JUN@ @ - 12M@R
02 LGLOB26 2799 L @ A03JUN B30JUN@ @ - 12M@R
03 LONE3 3099 L @ A01JUL - @ @ - 12M@R
04 LGLOB26 3099 L @ A01JUL - @ @ - 12M@R
05 LONE4 3399 L @ A03JUN B30JUN@ @ - 12M@R
06 LGLOB29 3399 L @ A03JUN B30JUN@ @ - 12M@R
07 LONE4 3699 L @ A01JUL - @ @ - 12M@R
08 LGLOB29 3699 L @ A01JUL - @ @ - 12M@R
09 LONE5 3799 L @ A03JUN B30JUN@ @ - 12M@R
10 LGLOB34 3799 L @ A03JUN B30JUN@ @ - 12M@R
11 LONE5 4099 L @ A01JUL - @ @ - 12M@R
12 LGLOB34 4099 L @ A01JUL - @ @ - 12M@R
13 LONE6 4899 L @ - - @ @ - 12M@R
14 LGLOB39 4899 L @ - - @ @ - 12M@R
> PAGE 1/ 1
I'm not seeing a discounted LONE6 or LGLOB39.
this was super helpful—thank you!
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:25 pm

Oh, and I assume that if I booked it through AA’s rtw desk, I would not get the discount, correct?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by flyingislove
Oh, and I assume that if I booked it through AA’s rtw desk, I would not get the discount, correct?
Not sure, you may have to persuade them.
flyingislove likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ajnaro
Here’s a summary of what happened. Following suggestions, I tried calling the QR office in Hong Kong. The phone number is now an 800 and goes through to Chongqing. The agent there took down the date changes (no route changes) I requested and sent it on to Doha. The answer that came back was “I am sorry to inform you that we are not able to assist with the change as the publish fare not quoted on our system.” I then called the AA rtw desk. The agent there told me to get a release from the issuing travel agent. I was then able to make changes, paying the usual fees calculated by tariffs. Naturally, all depends on the good will of the AA agent.
I'm surprised that you got a QR HKG agent who sent it to QR DOH rather than do it themselves. Do you happen to know which agent you spoke with? I've had Henry handle date changes and reissue the ticket on the spot. The number I've called was +86 23 6037 1210. Has that changed?

I'm also very surprised and happy for you that you got an AA RTW agent who agreed to make the date changes, especially because you probably had to call or email your issuing travel agent and then call AA back. My experience with AA has been that even if the RTW agent agrees to do something, tariff or ticketing usually objects and refuses to issue the ticket, instructing the agent to put back the reservation to match the ticket. Do you know which AA RTW agent you spoke with? And roughly the time of day (I wonder if there might be a time period when one is more likely to get lucky with AA tariff/ticketing)? Also, if you don't mind, roughly how much did AA tariff want you to pay in taxes/fees?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You do understand that +86 is not a Hong Kong number? That's China. HK is +852.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by anabolism

I'm surprised that you got a QR HKG agent who sent it to QR DOH rather than do it themselves. Do you happen to know which agent you spoke with? I've had Henry handle date changes and reissue the ticket on the spot. The number I've called was +86 23 6037 1210. Has that changed?
The number I called was (+852) 800-969-848. The agent was Nicole Liu, Lead Customer Service Agent. She speaks fluent English and was very helpful. The 800 number goes through to Chongqing. The number you give above appears to be Chongqing as well.

I'm also very surprised and happy for you that you got an AA RTW agent who agreed to make the date changes, especially because you probably had to call or email your issuing travel agent and then call AA back. My experience with AA has been that even if the RTW agent agrees to do something, tariff or ticketing usually objects and refuses to issue the ticket, instructing the agent to put back the reservation to match the ticket. Do you know which AA RTW agent you spoke with? And roughly the time of day (I wonder if there might be a time period when one is more likely to get lucky with AA tariff/ticketing)? Also, if you don't mind, roughly how much did AA tariff want you to pay in taxes/fees?
I don't recall the details, but I probably called in late afternoon. I had to ask the travel agent to insert a release to AA. The changes I requested did go through tariffs, who apparently approved. The total charges for date changes on 11 segments (no route changes) was USD $301. A few days after paying this amount I received a "trip confirmation and receipt" by email from AA.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:57 am

Just in case anyone needs to call, here's a list of phone numbers:

Tel: 400-994-9991 (China Domestic Reservation)

400-994-9992 (Privilege Club China)

800-969-848 (Hong Kong Reservation)

+852 82288550 (Privilege Club Hong Kong)

+86 23 6037 1210 (International Reservation)

+86 23 6037 1211 (Privilege Club Internation)
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
The number I called was (+852) 800-969-848. The agent was Nicole Liu, Lead Customer Service Agent. She speaks fluent English and was very helpful. The 800 number goes through to Chongqing. The number you give above appears to be Chongqing as well.
I wonder why I got an agent who made the date changes on the phone and manually reissued the ticket, while you got one who sent it to QR DOH?

I don't recall the details, but I probably called in late afternoon. I had to ask the travel agent to insert a release to AA. The changes I requested did go through tariffs, who apparently approved. The total charges for date changes on 11 segments (no route changes) was USD $301. A few days after paying this amount I received a "trip confirmation and receipt" by email from AA.
That's terrific that AA tariff reissued it for you. I wish I could get that kind of luck.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:34 pm

Weird. The rules are no longer downloadable from the OW site...anyone have a recent copy? I wanted to look at the columns and routing rules again to be sure of something. Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by flyingislove
Weird. The rules are no longer downloadable from the OW site...anyone have a recent copy? I wanted to look at the columns and routing rules again to be sure of something. Thanks everyone!
The rules are there, but are not that easy to find.
From the home page -- click on Global Travel -- scroll to the bottom and open the FAQ for "How is my fare calculated". The links to the fare rules for the three OW products are listed
  • Oneworld Explorer
  • Global Explorer
  • Circle Pacific
flyingislove likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by pandaperth
The rules are there, but are not that easy to find.
Yes, they're now hidden fairly well.

Originally Posted by pandaperth
From the home page -- click on Global Travel -- scroll to the bottom and open the FAQ for "How is my fare calculated". The links to the fare rules for the three OW products are listed
  • Oneworld Explorer
  • Global Explorer
  • Circle Pacific
Or, just click here.
flyingislove likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I had a couple of questions that I wondered if regulars could advise on. I have been looking, perhaps for fun, perhaps for real, about booking a AONEx fare next year, and playing with KHI as the starting point. I've got no concerns about a short visit to Pakistan and this would be taking place over about a month that I would take off work. I live in HKG so KHI isn't too hard to get to.

Routing I am thinking of is:
KHI-DOH-SYD // SYD-DFW // DFW-SCL-IPC // IPC-SCL // SCL-LHR // LHR-HND // HND-HKG // HKG-(CMB or DOH)-KHI
Segments are ok (11): 2 + 1 + 2 + 1+ 1 +1 +1 + 2
Trying a variety of classes/airlines QR J / F + QF F + AA J /LATAM J + BA F + JL F + CX F + QR J or UL J
Sadly I don't think I have anymore segments around Asia to really add in another 5, and my flight from SCL-LHR wouldn't allow me time to get up to NYC. I haven't tried QF F or QR F before, but have done all the others.

I guess I will use the tool to validate the routing, but had a few questions:
  • The oneworld tool won't let me book this online saying QR can't be the first segment in a trip. Is it even bookable, or do I need to start with UL (to CMB?) If it is possible, how do I contact QR for this, or can I use a travel agent?
  • I am looking to book about a year out (I want to tie my Tokyo flights in to the Olympics, so was thinking to book whilst there are still A seats around. Has anyone had any thoughts of doing this, most of the flights I want are pretty much available except LATAM and AA don't have flights loaded till 330 days I guess. Any particular views on what this means, do I diarise to book now?
  • Are there any other rules I've broken
  • Any other things you'd suggest I consider if doing a routing like this?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
You are violating this rule:
4(b) Travel must be in a continuous forward direction between TC1 ‐ TC2 ‐ TC3. Backtracking within a
continent is permitted except as follows:
Backtracking between Hawaii and other points in North America is not permitted.
KHI and SYD are in TC3 (which comprises Asia and South-West Pacific)
DOH is in TC2 (which comprises Europe/Middle East and Africa)
So your first two flights (KHI-DOH-SYD) are going TC3-TC2-TC3 and that is not allowed. Same again for your proposed HKG-DOH-KHI at the end

Because your first flight is with QR, you cannot use the on-line booking tool. But you can book:
  • with QR as it’s the carrier of the first flight (it will have an office in Hong Kong)
  • with AA, since you have a long-haul AA flight (DFW-SCL)
  • with any travel agent
littlevoices likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Hopefully this is the correct thread.
  1. Had a DONE 4 originating from CMB - not yet started.
  2. A schedule change occurred resulting in an arrival 7+ hours later mid trip.
  3. Called the AA RTW and was advised it qualified for a full refund, canceled the trip and was walked through the online refund request.
  4. A week later an email refusing the refund as it is "non refundable".
  5. Called the AA RTW desk and they view it as still in "pre-refund status" even though at aa.com shows a denied status.
Before I call back I'd like to be sure if it qualifies for a full refund or, in the worst case scenario, a 5% penalty.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.