Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by ozvirginuk
...Apparently this is not allowed, as I'd be "stopping" in Sydney twice in the itinerary, and you're only allowed to stop in any city once. Advice I was given was to fly to a different Australian port, but there are no others with an F service from HKG.

I have gone back them and said what if I 'transit' through Sydney on the way back, ie fly HKG-SYD on QF in F, then be ticketed to connect to AKL (maybe on a flight much later that day). Would that be allowed? I could then just check-in for the HKG-SYD, and "miss" the connection.

Does this work? Is it possible?? Advice greatly appreciated.
Certainly it will work. Either one of your Sydney stops must be strictly less than 24hrs - 23:59 is OK, 24:00 is not OK
I suggest you schedule the final SYD-AKL flight to be as close as possible to 24hrs after your scheduled arrival into Sydney from HKG - that way there will be no questions asked when you request that your bags be tagged through to SYD only, not AKL

PS - forgot to mention, when I plug in a RTW in the Oneworld planner, it has no issue with me "stopping" in Sydney twice. I thought the principle for RTW and CIR would have been fairly similar.

Cheers
Ozvirginuk
The rules of the two tickets are quite differentAmongst other differences, the Oneworld Explorer has no restriction on multiple stopovers at the same city (I have heard tell of someone who stopped over in NYC four times on a Oneworld Explorer ...jfk-bgi-jfk-nas-jfk-bda-jfk... - it was his hometown after all)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
I have sort of a subjective/philosophic question about the Circle Pacific fare and I wouldn't mind hearing experiences and opinions from folks who have taken a Circle/RTW trip before.

I was originally looking at a DFW-LAX-MEL-SYD-DFW itinerary, which in discount business (I) would run about $8500 before taxes. Then I noticed the existence of this Circle Pacific, which in D from the US appears to be about $9300 -- so for less than $1000 more, I could tack on NRT-KIX-HKG or start from LAX and maybe tack on HKG-BKK-KUL (or any number of permutations) and still be under the 22k mile limit.

This would be leisure-only trip for 2 weeks (can't be flexible on the 2 weeks). Having never been to any of the places on either itinerary, were you happy cramming in a lot of destinations in a short period of time, or would you have preferred more time in just one continent?

Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:51 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by andreirublev
I have sort of a subjective/philosophic question about the Circle Pacific fare and I wouldn't mind hearing experiences and opinions from folks who have taken a Circle/RTW trip before.

I was originally looking at a DFW-LAX-MEL-SYD-DFW itinerary, which in discount business (I) would run about $8500 before taxes. Then I noticed the existence of this Circle Pacific, which in D from the US appears to be about $9300 -- so for less than $1000 more, I could tack on NRT-KIX-HKG or start from LAX and maybe tack on HKG-BKK-KUL (or any number of permutations) and still be under the 22k mile limit.

This would be leisure-only trip for 2 weeks (can't be flexible on the 2 weeks). Having never been to any of the places on either itinerary, were you happy cramming in a lot of destinations in a short period of time, or would you have preferred more time in just one continent?

Thanks.
Obviously those are personal questions; two weeks including travel time (call it 2 days in each direction counting day/night and date line just for US/Australia, call it 4 days if Asia < > Oz are included) means 10-12 days of "functional" time. If you can visit a place and see a lot in 48 hours, then hitting five or six cities is okay. If you want to see more of a place (and possibly sleep in beds instead of on planes) then it would probably be too much. Hard to say. But remember that BKK-SYD is almost 5000 miles, so not exactly a puddle-jump in time terms.

At $9300 plus taxes, however, I'd be inclined to look at RTW fares instead of Circle Pacific. If, for example, you flew relatively cheaply to Europe, you could conceivably start a 4-continent RTW in someplace like Poland for under $8300 plus taxes, or around $7000 - $7300 in the "near" Middle East. Then fly east - to Asia en route to Oz, then home... and still have six North America segments and a couple of European ones remaining, which you could use over the space of a year.

In other words, do your Australia vacation (via one or two stops in Asia) then travel for pleasure or leisure around North America - including the Caribbean, Central America, Alaska, whatever - before ending the trip in Poland (or, cheaper, Israel, Egypt or Jordan) sometime within the next year. Use miles to get to Europe in the first place if you have them, optimize your route and maybe hit EXP with all the EQP, and your money stretches even further. If you're looking at $9300 plus tax for a DCIR22 from North America, vs. $7200 plus tax for a DONE4 from Israel or Jordan, could you get yourself from DFW to TLV, AMM or CAI and back for $2100? (Short answer, "duh.")

So for example, use miles, DFW AA ORD RJ AMM, which would take less time than going to Oz. Spend a few hours in the lounge at AMM, then start the (paid) DONE4...

AMM RJ BKK CX HKG QF MEL QF SYD QF DFW. (Then pause the trip and go back to work.)

Then, later (imaginary) DFW AA ANC AA DFW AA YVR CX JFK AA DFW AA MAD IB IST BA LHR RJ AMM, then miles home. There are literally thousands of permutations on this theme. IMO way, way more bang for the buck than the DCIR22.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Wow, thanks for taking the time for such a detailed response with some great ideas. I really appreciate it.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: UA - 1K, DL - Platinum Medallion, QF - LTS, Hilton - Diamond, Bonvoy - Gold, IHG - Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Certainly it will work. Either one of your Sydney stops must be strictly less than 24hrs - 23:59 is OK, 24:00 is not OK
I suggest you schedule the final SYD-AKL flight to be as close as possible to 24hrs after your scheduled arrival into Sydney from HKG - that way there will be no questions asked when you request that your bags be tagged through to SYD only, not AKL
Thanks pandaperth. That's good advice. I'm thinking arriving in Syd on QF128 at 06:55 and being booked on SYDAKL the following day at 0625. That's 23:30, so providing no schedule changes, that will work, otherwise, I"d go for the 1825 flight on the same day as landing...

Thanks for everyone's contribution and advice. I love this site...

Cheers
Ozvirginuk
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Of course, doing that should save the AU$47 departure tax as well. ^
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:06 am

Programs: UA - 1K, DL - Platinum Medallion, QF - LTS, Hilton - Diamond, Bonvoy - Gold, IHG - Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Of course, doing that should save the AU$47 departure tax as well. ^
Good point serfty. Between myself and my partner that's half a hotel night in LAS!!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas platinum Etihad Gold Elite HH Gold Hyatt Diamond Virgin Gold
Do circle pacific rules allow me to travel mel-dfw-jfk-ord-sfo-hnl-mel?

Its south pacific in one direction and central pacific in the other. Well under the 22,000 miles but I'm not sure what they consider central pacific and how many stops i'm allowed in the US. DFW would be just a transit point to JFK.

thanks
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Republicau
Do circle pacific rules allow me to travel mel-dfw-jfk-ord-sfo-hnl-mel?

Its south pacific in one direction and central pacific in the other. Well under the 22,000 miles but I'm not sure what they consider central pacific and how many stops i'm allowed in the US. DFW would be just a transit point to JFK.

thanks
Probably not. It appears to me that you have two south pacific crossings and no crossings of the north/central pacific. If you continued on from hnl to nrt you would satisfy the rules.
See these threads where hnl routings were discussed:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...e-pacific.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...ific-dcir.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...central+circle
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:04 am

I Just Booked Circle Pacific 29,000 Revenue J

FYI - fares can be cheaper from Hong Kong or Indonesia - source KVS

ex-HKG, in HKD
Code:
LCIR22 $22,200~=AUD2,675 @ AUD1 = HKG8.3
LCIR26 $27,090 AUD3,264
DCIR22 $38,810 AUD4,676
DCIR26 $47,340 AUD5,704
ACIR22 $55,410 AUD6,676
ACIR26 $67,600 AUD8,145
I just ticketed a circle pacific J yesterday: HKG-BKK-NRT-ORD-MIA-SCL-AKL-SYD-SIN-HGK 28,378 MILES

FARE-HKD 50520.00 EQUIV FARE-CAD 6795.00 TAX/FEE/CHARGE 70.30
TICKET TOTAL 7165.30
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by MiamiPrep
I just ticketed a circle pacific J yesterday: HKG-BKK-NRT-ORD-MIA-SCL-AKL-SYD-SIN-HGK 28,378 MILES

FARE-HKD 50520.00 EQUIV FARE-CAD 6795.00 TAX/FEE/CHARGE 70.30
TICKET TOTAL 7165.30
Those taxes etc are really low
I presume you ticketed this in Canada
Which airline?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: AA=EXP, former DL Platinum
I'm planning an ex-HKG circle pacific for late next month. Did you use a HK travel agent? Or one in Canada? Could you PM me the details?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 1:42 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Jerry_Maguire
I'm planning an ex-HKG circle pacific for late next month. Did you use a HK travel agent? Or one in Canada? Could you PM me the details?
Set it up with the AA RTW desk and tell them it is to be issued in HKG and paid in HKD. The only problem is that the AA HKG office will not accept faxed or emailed cc information. Still, it makes for a nice long weekend to do a HKG run to get the ticket (just make sure you know the hours that the office is open and that you don't target a public holiday).
Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:26 pm

AA

Those taxes etc are really low
I presume you ticketed this in Canada
Which airline?
AA - their RTW desk is the best.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by og
Set it up with the AA RTW desk and tell them it is to be issued in HKG and paid in HKD. The only problem is that the AA HKG office will not accept faxed or emailed cc information. Still, it makes for a nice long weekend to do a HKG run to get the ticket (just make sure you know the hours that the office is open and that you don't target a public holiday).
From a curiosity standpoint I would like to know if this works. Just last fall I had to go to YYZ to reticket my not yet started CirPac as the AA RTW desk said CX requires tickets to be purchased 7 days out.

You may want to double check with them so you don't encounter any unwanted surprises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.