Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Quick question on the Circle Pacific fares.

So, flying in J...Starting at home in LAS....

Can I go....LAS-LAX-SYD-(stop for 2 days)-AKL(stop for a couple days)-SIN (via SYD or MEL)(stop again in SIN for 2)-HKG (stop again or no?)-JFK (stop for 2 days)-DFW-LAS.

Would this fly/work as I need days in SYD, AKL, SIN and HKG on an upcoming trip.

Thanks.....
The rules of the Circle Pacific fare are here
Your proposed itinerary almost works!
as a xCIR26 fare (x = A,D, or L for First, Business or Economy, and 26 means up to 26,000 miles)
The fare allows one stopover in the country of origin (you have JFK so that's OK)
and two free stopovers in the other regions (and you can purchase more)
(you have two stops in the Sth Pacific - SYD and AKL and two stops in Asia - SIN and HKG - so again you are OK)

So - where you itinerary fails is that it exceed 26,000 miles, according to gcmap - LAS-LAX-SYD-AKL-SYD-SIN-HKG-JFK-DFW-LAS

So some options for you are:
  • fly LAX-AKL-SYD (QF flies LAX-AKL) instead of LAX-SYD-AKL
  • end your journey at DFW (this is allowed; make you own way back to LAS)
  • instead of the JFK stopover, stopover in YYZ, ORD, YVR, SFO or LAX
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Quick question on the Circle Pacific fares.

So, flying in J...Starting at home in LAS....

Can I go....LAS-LAX-SYD-(stop for 2 days)-AKL(stop for a couple days)-SIN (via SYD or MEL)(stop again in SIN for 2)-HKG (stop again or no?)-JFK (stop for 2 days)-DFW-LAS.

Would this fly/work as I need days in SYD, AKL, SIN and HKG on an upcoming trip.

Thanks.....
Too many miles. Using great circle mapper I come up with 26,427
LAS-LAX-SYD-AKL-SYD-SIN-HKG-JFK-DFW-LAS
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=las-lax...s&MS=wls&DU=mi
If you don't route thru SA the max circle pacific you can do is 26,000 miles.
You could end in DFW and you would be fine.
You have 5 total stops: 2 stops in SWP(SYD and AKL); 2 stops in Asia(SIN and HKG); 1 stop in NA(JFK). With a 26,000 mile cirpac you are allowed up to 5 free stops.
PERMITTED STOPOVERS
A. Free:
22,000 miles – minimum two maximum four free stopovers permitted
26,000 miles – minimum two maximum five free stopovers permitted 29,000 miles – minimum two maximum six free stopovers permitted
NOTES:
i) Only one stopover permitted at any point.
ii) Two stopovers required outside country of origin.
iii) A maximum of one stopover in country of origin
iv) A maximum of two free stopovers per region (SWP / Asia / North America /South America)

v) Where a passenger disembarks at one point and re-embarks at a subsequent point enroute, the points count as a single stopover
Where there is a surface sector between two regions, this will count as a stopover in each of the two regions. However, for the purpose of the total stopovers permitted, this will count as one stopover only.
B. Additional: Permitted at an additional charge per stopover of USD150.00 NOTES:
i) Additional stopovers may not be purchased in country of origin.
ii) Additional stopovers restricted to two stopovers per region
iii) Child /infant discount not applicable
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Your proposed itinerary almost works!

So some options for you are:
  • fly LAX-AKL-SYD (QF flies LAX-AKL) instead of LAX-SYD-AKL
  • end your journey at DFW (this is allowed; make you own way back to LAS)
  • instead of the JFK stopover, stopover in YYZ, ORD, YVR, SFO or LAX
Thanks for the help. I will look at the LAX-AKL vs the via SYD to get there.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Too many miles. Using great circle mapper I come up with 26,427
LAS-LAX-SYD-AKL-SYD-SIN-HKG-JFK-DFW-LAS
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=las-lax...s&MS=wls&DU=mi
If you don't route thru SA the max circle pacific you can do is 26,000 miles.
You could end in DFW and you would be fine.
You have 5 total stops: 2 stops in SWP(SYD and AKL); 2 stops in Asia(SIN and HKG); 1 stop in NA(JFK). With a 26,000 mile cirpac you are allowed up to 5 free stops.
Thanks. I thought the mileage I was up to was pushing the limit. I will use the great circle mapper for counting them up.

So, another option is stop this one in DFW as you mentioned, then start a new Circle Pacific from there, go home to LAS then a few weeks later continue with the other Circle Pacific for that business trip?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I thought the mileage I was up to was pushing the limit. I will use the great circle mapper for counting them up.

So, another option is stop this one in DFW as you mentioned, then start a new Circle Pacific from there, go home to LAS then a few weeks later continue with the other Circle Pacific for that business trip?
You can do that but you are burning up your only stopover in the country of origin and you will not be able to stop in the US upon your return like you are doing in JFK in your first trip. Probably better to buy a separate ticket back to LAS if you need that stopover upon your return to the US.
NOTES:
i) Only one stopover permitted at any point.
ii) Two stopovers required outside country of origin.
iii) A maximum of one stopover in country of origin
iv) A maximum of two free stopovers per region (SWP / Asia / North America /South America)
v) Where a passenger disembarks at one point and re-embarks at a subsequent point enroute, the points count as a single stopover
Where there is a surface sector between two regions, this will count as a stopover in each of the two regions. However, for the purpose of the total stopovers permitted, this will count as one stopover only.
B. Additional: Permitted at an additional charge per stopover of USD150.00 NOTES:
i) Additional stopovers may not be purchased in country of origin.
ii) Additional stopovers restricted to two stopovers per region
iii) Child /infant discount not applicable

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:51 am Reason: fix quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
[/B]QUOTE]
You can do that but you are burning up your only stopover in the country of origin and you will not be able to stop in the US upon your return like you are doing in JFK in your first trip. Probably better to buy a separate ticket back to LAS if you need that stopover upon your return to the US.
Thanks for the heads up losing the stopover. The next one I would do probably wont require a stopover in North America. If it does, then I guess I can start a new one on top of that.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Here's a Circle Pac riddle.

Given the looming joining of Kingfisher on 10-Feb, when can you book an itin with Kingfisher on it.

1. Anytime so long as Kingfisher flight after 10-Feb
2. Anytime so long as first flight after 10-Feb
3. Anytime so long as first flight after 10-Feb and the rules have specifically changed to include Kingfisher
4. Only after 10-Feb when the rules change.

My thinking is the answer is 4, but be interested on views on whether the rules may change (say 31 Jan) and thus 3 might be possible.
Am considering a mid-Feb ex HKG start date and would like at least the option to use Kingfisher on the back legs.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moa999
Here's a Circle Pac riddle.

Given the looming joining of Kingfisher on 10-Feb, when can you book an itin with Kingfisher on it.

1. Anytime so long as Kingfisher flight after 10-Feb
2. Anytime so long as first flight after 10-Feb
3. Anytime so long as first flight after 10-Feb and the rules have specifically changed to include Kingfisher
4. Only after 10-Feb when the rules change.

My thinking is the answer is 4, but be interested on views on whether the rules may change (say 31 Jan) and thus 3 might be possible.
Am considering a mid-Feb ex HKG start date and would like at least the option to use Kingfisher on the back legs.
Where are you planning to go with Kingfisher on a circlepac? Travel west of Thailand is not allowed:
H. Travel is not permitted via countries west of Thailand
For being able to use Kingfisher, typically you may see something like this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...ct-1-09-a.html
Also see the discussion here when JL joined about booking and making reservations in anticipation:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...-2007-a-2.html
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:56 pm

If circle pacifics are going to be regular thing for you then are you aware that they are much cheaper from HKG?
The base fare of the DCIR26 is USD11,200 ex-USA and only HKD47,340 ex-HKG (approx USD6,100)

If that doesn't suit - then are you aware that ex-USA a DONE4 is actually cheaper than a DCIR26? (base fare USD10,700 vs USD11,200). It is less restrictive in terms of stopovers and has no mileage limits. Its rules are here.
(and the DGLOB34 ticket is also cheaper)
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:26 pm

If circle pacifics are going to be regular thing for you then are you aware that they are much cheaper from HKG?
The base fare of the DCIR26 is USD11,200 ex-USA and only HKD47,340 ex-HKG (approx USD6,100)

If that doesn't suit - then are you aware that ex-USA a DONE4 is actually cheaper than a DCIR26? (base fare USD10,700 vs USD11,200). It is less restrictive in terms of stopovers and has no mileage limits. Its rules are here.
(and the DGLOB34 ticket is also cheaper)
Holy cow!! I will be doing a lot on Circle pacs for a work in the "Pacific ring of fire." Thanks for the tip on HKG. ^

I will look at getting a o/w to HKG then starting from there on the Circle Pacs.

Just wondering, is HKG the best starting point for ACIR26 from a cost standpoint as well?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:46 pm

Just wondering, is HKG the best starting point for ACIR26 from a cost standpoint as well?
Yes
ex-HKG an ACIR26 is HKD67,600 (approx USD8,700 - compare that to USD5,400 for a LCIR26 ex-USA!!)
ex-USA is USD 12,700

Just be aware that you cannot purchase the ex-HKG ticket on-line; you have to use a Hong Kong based travel agent or airline office. I'm sure there must a thread on this somewhere in the forum.

ps this tool compares the various fares
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Planning a trip to Perth and Sydney for Oct. 2012 in business class and could use some help getting started. One possibility is to start in LAX and buy a separate SEA-LAX on AS. Would a circle pacific work for LAX-HKG-PER-SYD-LAX. I may also want to include MEL. Is SYD-MEL-SYD valid in the CP or should I just buy a separate ticket?

Another Q: are these fares upgradeable with miles?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by SeAAttle
Planning a trip to Perth and Sydney for Oct. 2012 in business class and could use some help getting started. One possibility is to start in LAX and buy a separate SEA-LAX on AS. Would a circle pacific work for LAX-HKG-PER-SYD-LAX. I may also want to include MEL. Is SYD-MEL-SYD valid in the CP or should I just buy a separate ticket?

Another Q: are these fares upgradeable with miles?
Your proposed intinerary is valid, and is within the 22,000 miles allowed on a DCIR22 - LAX-HKG-PER-SYD-LAX

You can include MEL within the 22,000 mileage - BUT it will be an extra USD150 for this third stopover in the Sth West Pacific region. Probably worth it to fly in J - rather than purchasing a separate return ticket.

There is no restriction on upgrading segments with miles. Whether you can or not depends on the rules of your frequent flyer program

You could also start from SFO or YVR

If all you are after is Nth AM - Sth West Pacific return in business - it might be cheaper just to buy a return ticket - check out the AA, QF, UA, VA and NZ web sites (and may be for full measure - the S.E. Asian airline websites too - CX, TG, MH, SQ)
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:44 pm

Yes
ex-HKG an ACIR26 is HKD67,600 (approx USD8,700 - compare that to USD5,400 for a LCIR26 ex-USA!!)
ex-USA is USD 12,700

Just be aware that you cannot purchase the ex-HKG ticket on-line; you have to use a Hong Kong based travel agent or airline office. I'm sure there must a thread on this somewhere in the forum.

ps this tool compares the various fares
Thanks!! I usually stay at the JW Marriott in HKG and IIRC, there are a few travel agents I can use that are near the hotel.......
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:50 pm

Thanks!! I usually stay at the JW Marriott in HKG and IIRC, there are a few travel agents I can use that are near the hotel.......
Be aware of this rule:
5. RESERVATIONS and TICKETING
(A) Reservations and Ticketing
Unless otherwise specified
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceeding flights are required at least 7 days prior to departure of the first flight. Subsequent segments may be open-dated.
Ticketing for departure from fare origin must be completed at least 7 days before departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.