Reload this Page >

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by pbd456
The rule of needing BA marketed flight from TC2 to TC1/3 may not be in the fare rule, but rather how Sabre implemented the autoprice for this particular fare.
My understanding is that there are additional rules that apply to all fares, unless contravened by something in the specific fare rules used to ticket.

The change is either via agent or via the issuing airline.
Be aware that when a ticket is changed, there seems to be some sort of notification to the plating airline. I purchased an ex-SEZ ticket and about a month later, since the fare was still there, had my TA change the dates and the route of the last flight. It auto-priced and I had new e-tickets right away. But the next day BA notified the agency that the ticket was invalid and ordered them to cancel it and refund it, withholding the 5% cancellation fee and the $125 change fee. My TA created a new itinerary and ticketed it, and I of course have not changed it. But the act of changing the first ticket, even though it auto-priced, caused it to come to BA's attention. I'm upset at being charged the 5% cancellation fee when BA was the one who ordered it cancelled, and the $125 change fee as well. But I am afraid of doing a charge-back with the credit card company because I don't want BA investigating and then cancelling the new ticket.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Does the requirement of using a BA marketed flight from TC2 to TC1/3, i.e. from Africa/Europe to N/S America or Asia/Oceania apply after the 1st flight has been flown?

If a travel agent did the original ticketing and the first flight is already flown, would one contact the issuing airline (Sri Lankan in your case) for changes or just contact the OW airline that one intended to use for the next flight segment?

Lastly, do the rules as of the ticketing date apply or the rules of the date that the fare was filed? Some changes are now valid which were not valid even 1 year ago.
Originally Posted by anabolism
It was easy to obtain at the time of ticketing, and is still easy to obtain from EF. In EF, do a fare search for sez-sez with a ticketing date of the date you did ticket. In the list of returned fares, click the "Fare Rules" icon for the fare you ticketed.
The fare rule seems fairly new to me... (I was worried that it was the rule 10+ years ago).

it allows 2 stopovers in US (after south america instead of one of them being transfer without stopover) and Asia (between europe to australia)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by anabolism
The rules of the fare used on the date originally ticketed, is my understanding.
Yes, It's particularly significant when airlines join and leave OW, if one of those airlines is the only OneWorld carrier to serve a particular city.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:44 am

The fare rule seems fairly new to me... (I was worried that it was the rule 10+ years ago).

it allows 2 stopovers in US (after south america instead of one of them being transfer without stopover) and Asia (between europe to australia)
I did not fully understand the implications last year that allowed for 2 stops in Asia instead of 1 stopover plus a transit between SWP and Europe. This is a very big change imo. And it also states that in the EF version of the fare rules (my copy is from Sept 2018)
The only problem reading the EF version of the rules is that 2/3 of the 2500 lines appear to be concerned about travel within the African continent and within specific Asian countries in the transfer section. I just plan to depart and return to SEZ and avoid the rest of Africa. I wonder if one can ignore the transfers section. Any of our ticketing experts (CALCHAS or JAXBA) care to comment?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rule of needing BA marketed flight from TC2 to TC1/3 may not be in the fare rule, but rather how Sabre implemented the autoprice for this particular fare.
I agree

This sounds like an extension of the standard mechanism used to choose the validating carrier.
jerry a. laska and pandaperth like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if it is OK to start discussing ticketing changes now that the ex-SEZ fare has been removed? I have a few but do not wish to have a bad effect on others who were able to get an ex-SEZ ticket issued.
Personally, and some here know that I'm pretty conservative on this issue, I see no problem. The airlines are now fully aware of what happened.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:47 am

I wonder if it is OK to start discussing ticketing changes now that the ex-SEZ fare has been removed? I have a few but do not wish to have a bad effect on others who were able to get an ex-SEZ ticket issued.

Are your tickets on ba stock?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:35 am

Are your tickets on ba stock?
Issuing airline is UL, 603..... although the 1st 4 flights are on BA. I intend to fly the 1st 3 BA flights, then redo the whole ticket. I guess that I will have to deal with UL, but may pay a fee for the issuing TA to do all of the work. 1st flight is next year. Anyone changed their ex-SEZ ticket after flying 1st segment? My copy of the rules from EF stated 2 entries into N America is OK, no need for 1 to be a transit w/o stopover.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:18 am

There are data point that ba is very difficult to work with for ba issued ticket. I have ul and la tickets myself. Will see how it plays out.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: AA PPro
There are data point that ba is very difficult to work with for ba issued ticket. I have ul and la tickets myself. Will see how it plays out.
I have found changes to a BA rtw ticket trivial, if you are not in a rush, ever since I found they have a rtw department you can email. It takes them a working day or two to assign someone to a query but thereafter responses are quick and phone calls are possible.

(Yes I will have the possibility of higher taxes to contend with of course but for ex cai as mine was or ex sez as it sounds you have there is limited choice)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by zoombee
I have found changes to a BA rtw ticket trivial, if you are not in a rush, ever since I found they have a rtw department you can email. It takes them a working day or two to assign someone to a query but thereafter responses are quick and phone calls are possible.
That sounds good in general, but I am not sure it is a good idea to contact them for changes to an ex-SEZ trip, given the reports.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

I have found changes to a BA rtw ticket trivial, if you are not in a rush, ever since I found they have a rtw department you can email.
There were reports of a US RTW desk for BA at (800) 828-7797‬ but I have never tried it myself.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:39 pm
R2

BA has an RTW dept in the UK [email protected] but as anabolism wrote there may be issues in trying to make changes to the ex-SEZ tickets.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by R2
BA has an RTW dept in the UK [email protected] but as anabolism wrote there may be issues in trying to make changes to the ex-SEZ tickets.
That's the one I've used. I had similar concerns re my ex-CAI booking. In that case I waited till I had flown the first sector but I guess if BA decided it was never a valid fare rather than no longer a valid fare you may want to be extra cautious.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the one I've used. I had similar concerns re my ex-CAI booking. In that case I waited till I had flown the first sector but I guess if BA decided it was never a valid fare rather than no longer a valid fare you may want to be extra cautious.
Clearly it was a valid fare, BA revisionism notwithstanding. That's what the SABRE guarantee is about. That said, I would have to assume that BA will be looking for any opportunity (excuse) to restrict the ex-SEZ tickets. As I mentioned above, I'm extremely (possibly even irrationally) conservative about this and thus will not be attempting any changes. IMO these tickets represent far too much of a saving for me even to consider taking any risk.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Nov 19, 2018 at 8:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.