Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cynicor
I assume the question is more "what is the cheapest city to originate a DONEX", hoping that the answer is the same for 3/4/5/6.
Yes, I mean the cheapest origin for any numbers of continents.
Im having *A gold and OW sapphire but this not for these status.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Hello, hopefully someone learned can help me with this scheudle - what's the best way of booking / pricing this up?

Looking to go FRA - BKK on Finnair via HKG, coming back from BKK via HKG but on Cathay Pacific direct to FRA. All in J
On the Finnair website I can book the outbound combination as follows:
Sunday 22nd December:
AY1412 FRA - HEL 11.35 - 15.20
AY101 HEL - HKG 16.55 - 08.40 (Mon)
AY5115 HKG - BKK 13.05 - 15.10 (operated by CX)
I quite like the look of that combination as it gives me a chance to try the Finnair A350.

Coming back I would prefer to connect from BKK to the direct Cathay Pacific flight from HKG to FRA rather than going Finnair via Helsinki, but Finnair obviously won't allow that option as all their legs go via Helsinki. The Cathay website will only show CX flights. Ideally I would like the following combination coming back (this flight is offered on the CX website - I am looking for a day in Hong Kong):
Friday, 17th of January:
CX700 BKK - HKG 08.25 - 12.10
Saturday, 18th of January:
CX 280 HKG - FRA 00.35 - 06.10

I have tried pricing this up in Google flights, but that only shows the Finnair flights - do I need to go through a travel agent to book this or can this somehow be done online? For context, the Finnair flight is around € 2,600 if I choose straight FRA/HEL/BKK and the CX flight is around € 2,800 if I go straight FRA/HKG/BKK.

My apologies for somewhat long post, but I am still new to the whole connecting / different legs on different airlines thing and I am just trying to find out whether I can book this online. Also, just for my personal reassurance, I can still all credit these to my BAEC account (mainly worried about tier points), right?

Thanks very much!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
… do I need to go through a travel agent to book this or can this somehow be done online? …
A travel agent or one of the airlines themselves would be able to price it if you called them. You may find though that the lower fares for AY out and CX back may not combine with each other; although AY/CX are oneworld partners, they still compete with each other.

The best fare is likely to be using the same airline each way, either AY or CX.

If AY/CX do combine, be prepared for the fare to be considerably higher.

Also compare one-way fares for each, although this may not be great either.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Thank you very much for the quick response, JAXBA. It makes sense, I'll try the one-way pricing just for a laugh but will probably stick with CX as the flight times are friendlier.

Thank you!
JAXBA likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
In addition to what JAXBA wrote, try using Matrix to price the specific flights you want. (E.g., from FRA to BKK, and in the routing codes field, enter the specific route you want, such as

AY1412 AY101 AY5115

on the outbound, and

CX700 CX 280

on the inbound. For the codeshare, can add a comma and the CX flight number.

That should let you know how it prices before you call the airlines.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I just booked a DONE3 through AA RTW desk. It's currently on hold. Pricing came back from the rate desk as expected, correct base fare plus various fees and charges. Almost all of those extra fees were less than USD $100, in fact, all but one were under $75. The exception was "CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES" which were $392.10. Is this fuel surcharges? Any way to reduce it?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I just booked a DONE3 through AA RTW desk. It's currently on hold. Pricing came back from the rate desk as expected, correct base fare plus various fees and charges. Almost all of those extra fees were less than USD $100, in fact, all but one were under $75. The exception was "CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES" which were $392.10. Is this fuel surcharges? Any way to reduce it?
Yes, these carrier imposed fees are what used to be called fuel surcharges
My understanding is that some jurisdictions started requiring airlines to justify their fuel surcharges; so the airlines just changed the name of imposition - to either YQ or YR or both

What you're seeing is the sum of the YQs and YRs for some/all of the flights in your itinerary. You can use The Matrix to:
  • understand which flights have YQ and/or YR imposed
  • see the effect of changing to codeshares
On a DONE5 in 2106/17 I was able to shave a bit off the charges by switching two flights to codeshare (AY's LHR-HEL switched to the BA codeshare and AY's HEL-MAD switched to the IB codeshare)
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Yes, these carrier imposed fees are what used to be called fuel surcharges ... On a DONE5 in 2106/17 I was able to shave a bit off the charges by switching two flights to codeshare (AY's LHR-HEL switched to the BA codeshare and AY's HEL-MAD switched to the IB codeshare)
Thanks for your response. As it turned out, I ran out of segments for what I need to do on this trip, so I changed SXM-MIA-JFK to a land segment SXM-JFK and am flying SXM-MIA-DCA-HPN (where I really want to go; my cousin lives two miles from HPN) on an award ticket. Then I'll drive back to JFK to resume the RTW ticket. Removing the two segments dropped the price by around USD $100.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
The local travel agency (https://www.estravel.ee/pakkumine/mi...-reisil-al-569) currently has an offer for AA, AY and BA flights from TLL to the US East Coast,
3 stops (one must be in NY) starting from 699€... is there anywhere where I could find the fare rules?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
The oneworld website is advertising a sale on "select" L and A fares until 30 June but possibly only via this link from QF: https://rtw.oneworld.com/rtw/?origin=qf.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danger
The oneworld website is advertising a sale on "select" L and A fares until 30 June but possibly only via this link from QF: https://rtw.oneworld.com/rtw/?origin=qf.
There is an add about the sale on the CX website but nothing goes into any detail about the sale.

From what I have found so far it looks like an AONE4 ex Australia is 1000 AUD cheaper than it was (EF showing 17399 but when I move date to mid June it shows 16399 fares loaded 02 June). I also tried ex Japan but it is the same price it has been for a few years now.
JohnSydney2000 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
It appears the LONEx exAustralia discounts are also available via TAs. Now if I just had some $$.......

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ajnaro
Are there any data points on changing or reissuing ex-SEZ fares (after first flght)?
I've heard a few scattered reports of some success, but also stories of QR and BA refusing. Have you tried, @ajnaro? Any luck?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Can anyone tell me what the LONEX discount prices are vs. normal prices? Many thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by flyingislove
Can anyone tell me what the LONEX discount prices are vs. normal prices? Many thanks!
QF in Amadeus are showing the discounted and 'normal' prices together:
(For clarity, the after 03JUN, before 30JUN prices are the discounted version)

Code:
FQDSYDSYD/AQF/VRW/CL
ROE 1.428637 UP TO 1.00 AUD
13JUN19**18MAY20/QF SYDSYD/NLX;RW/TPM ...../MPM .....
LN FARE BASIS    OW   AUD  RT   B PEN  DATES/DAYS   AP MIN MAX R
01 LONE3                   2799 L  @  A03JUN B30JUN@  @ -  12M@R
02 LGLOB26                 2799 L  @  A03JUN B30JUN@  @ -  12M@R
03 LONE3                   3099 L  @  A01JUL   -   @  @ -  12M@R
04 LGLOB26                 3099 L  @  A01JUL   -   @  @ -  12M@R
05 LONE4                   3399 L  @  A03JUN B30JUN@  @ -  12M@R
06 LGLOB29                 3399 L  @  A03JUN B30JUN@  @ -  12M@R
07 LONE4                   3699 L  @  A01JUL   -   @  @ -  12M@R
08 LGLOB29                 3699 L  @  A01JUL   -   @  @ -  12M@R
09 LONE5                   3799 L  @  A03JUN B30JUN@  @ -  12M@R
10 LGLOB34                 3799 L  @  A03JUN B30JUN@  @ -  12M@R
11 LONE5                   4099 L  @  A01JUL   -   @  @ -  12M@R
12 LGLOB34                 4099 L  @  A01JUL   -   @  @ -  12M@R
13 LONE6                   4899 L  @     -     -   @  @ -  12M@R
14 LGLOB39                 4899 L  @     -     -   @  @ -  12M@R
>                                                 PAGE  1/ 1
I'm not seeing a discounted LONE6 or LGLOB39.
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.