Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
From a curiosity standpoint I would like to know if this works. Just last fall I had to go to YYZ to reticket my not yet started CirPac as the AA RTW desk said CX requires tickets to be purchased 7 days out.

You may want to double check with them so you don't encounter any unwanted surprises.
Unlike the xonex rules, the circle pacific rules in all cases require ticket issuance seven days prior to departure.
(A) Reservations and Ticketing
Unless otherwise specified
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceeding flights are required at least 7 days
prior to departure of the first flight. Subsequent segments may be open-dated.
Ticketing for departure from fare origin must be completed at least 7 days before departure.
Exception:
For Economy Class reservations made 22 or more days before departure tickets must be issued
at least 21 days before departure.
http://www.oneworld.com/content/libr...%20pacific.pdf

Xonex rules only require seven days when travel originates in TC1. For travel originating in TC2/3, there are different time limits depending upon when the reservation was made.
Code:
5. RESERVATIONS AND TICKETING
(a) Reservations and Ticketing
For travel originating in TC1
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights are required at least 7 days prior to departure of the first flight. Subsequent segments may be open-dated. Tickets must be issued at least 7 days in advance of the first flight.
Exception:
For economy class reservations made 22 or more days before departure, tickets must be issued at least 21 days before departure.
For travel originating in TC2/3
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceeding flights must be made prior to departure. Subsequent segments may be open-dated. Tickets may be issued up to one hour prior to departure.
Exception:
Class                     Reservations Made                          Complete Ticketing
Economy    22 or more days before departure       At least 21 days before departure
                        21 - 8 days before departure               At least 7 days before departure
                        7 days or less before departure            No later than 3 days after booking
First/Business8 or more days before departure     At least 5 days before departure
                       7 days or less before departure             No later than 3 days after booking

(b)
http://www.oneworld.com/content/libr...20explorer.pdf
Of course, as we all know individual ticket offices may be more cooperative than others.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Nov 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm Reason: gramar
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the AA RTW desk said CX requires tickets to be purchased 7 days out.
These are the current rules:
Code:
          A. RESERVATIONS AND TICKETING                         
            UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFED RESERVATIONS FOR THE      
            FIRST INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT AND ALL PRECEEDING       
            FLIGHTS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 7 DAYS PRIOR TO       
            DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST FLIGHT.  SUBSEQUENT          
            SEGMENTS MAY BE OPEN-DATED.  TICKETING FOR          
            DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN MUST BE COMPLETED AT     
            LEAST 7 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.                      
              EXCEPTION - FOR ECONOMY CLASS RESERVATIONS        
               MADE 22 OR MORE DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE TICKETS    
               MUST BE ISSUED AT LEAST 21 DAYS BEFORE           
               DEPARTURE.
From a quick scan I did not see any "otherwise specified" exceptions.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 5:33 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
From a curiosity standpoint I would like to know if this works. Just last fall I had to go to YYZ to reticket my not yet started CirPac as the AA RTW desk said CX requires tickets to be purchased 7 days out.

You may want to double check with them so you don't encounter any unwanted surprises.
I purchased my DCIRC29SA in HKG for use in several months time. I was not relying on using the first sector to get away from HKG immediately after the purchase.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by og
I purchased my DCIRC29SA in HKG for use in several months time. I was not relying on using the first sector to get away from HKG immediately after the purchase.
Ah, I see. But in your previous post, since you were replying to someone from Florida, I got the impression you were recommending they set it up for ticketing ex-HKG for purchase in HKG and then purchase it after they arrive in HKG on their positioning flight.

A weekend run to Toronto or Montreal to purchase a xCIRnn ex-HKG ticket would be much easier for someone from the US east coast, than a weekend run to HKG.

Of course none of us answered Jerry_Maguire's question, probably because none of us used a HKG or Canadian travel agent. Hopefully someone will come along who can address his question. FWIW, I enjoyed my overnight visit to Toronto.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA=EXP, former DL Platinum
Alas I was in Toronto for business a few weeks back, but before this ex-HKG circle Pacific ticket started looking like a really good idea. I can't see any way around finding a hong Kong travel agent willing to issue the ticket, so if anyone has any leads I'd appreciate them greatly!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:06 am

Call CATHAY PACIFIC number listed for their HONG KONG reservations office.. That is how I booked my last circle pacific from HKG.. No problems.. easy... faxed copy of credit card and passport to their office and e-ticket issued within 24 hours......hope this helps...
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Hi, I've not done any CircPacs since the massive fare increase a few years ago, so I've forgotten some of the rules. Is the following a legal routing?

hkg-tpe-hkg-sin-syd-lax-jfk-hkg

I vaguely remember not being allowed to route back through the city of origin (HKG). I'm not intending any stopovers in HKG (stopovers would be TPE, SIN, SYD, and JFK).

Many thanks to the experts for any pointers!

NYLON Boy
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYLON Boy
Hi, I've not done any CircPacs since the massive fare increase a few years ago, so I've forgotten some of the rules. Is the following a legal routing?

hkg-tpe-hkg-sin-syd-lax-jfk-hkg

I vaguely remember not being allowed to route back through the city of origin (HKG). I'm not intending any stopovers in HKG (stopovers would be TPE, SIN, SYD, and JFK).

Many thanks to the experts for any pointers!

NYLON Boy
From the rules:
G. Travel may not be via the point of origin
http://www.oneworld.com/content/libr...%20pacific.pdf
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
I did a CP years ago, been looking at it again past 6 months.

Wife/Self go to HKG every April on business, been thinking go there on one way Y ticket, then HKG/SFO/LAX/SYD/HKG as a CP and leave the latter flight SYD/HKG up to another year to use in following April and at that time buy one way HKG/SYD in Y, would this work?. Also, could I use QFF points for a One World CP?.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Limewood

Wife/Self go to HKG every April on business, been thinking go there on one way Y ticket, then HKG/SFO/LAX/SYD/HKG as a CP and leave the latter flight SYD/HKG up to another year to use in following April and at that time buy one way HKG/SYD in Y, would this work?. Also, could I use QFF points for a One World CP?.
1. Yes, provided your final leg SYD-HKG is not more than one year after your first flight HKG-SFO.
7. MAXIMUM STAY
Return travel from the last stopover point must commence no later than 12 months after departure.
Great circle mapper shows your route as 19,333 miles so you are leaving some miles on the table if your purchase an xcir22 which allows 22,000 miles.
2. Circle fares are paid fares so you can't use miles for them. You can do multi-destination itineraries with QFF. You will probably be better off enquiring about those on the QF forum.
Multi-destination Itineraries
The number of points you need for a Qantas & Partner Classic Award flight is calculated by adding up the one-way trips in your itinerary. There are no points charges for stopovers or for any non-flown (surface) segments. Your itinerary may have no more than 16 flights or surface segments. However, if the total distance of a single trip is over 15,000 miles, the trip must be broken down into sub-trips in order to calculate the number of points you need.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD

As jerry.a.laska has pointed out, you are leaving a bunch of miles on the table - even if you buy just the cheaper xCIR22 product
Perhaps consider a holiday in SWP - such as to NZ or to the big red rock. You are allowed two free stopovers per continent, and can purchase two more at USD150* each (except for the continent of origin) - so each of these itineraries will increase your cost by USD150Have you looked at the cost of the 1-way positioning flights at the beginning and end?
These might be expensive - and perhaps are candidates for using your QFF points?

* if buying the economy ticket (LCIR22) then I would consider USD150 expensive - but if in the premium cabin then this is a bargain
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:47 pm

Still looking at circle pacific fare J x 2, live in OZ, can commence Hong Kong or Auckland, intend to visit SFO then MIA, NYC, LAS possibly DFW return via SYD need to be One World member airline. Would use left over sector within following year.

How many US cities can we fit into 22 or 26K miles?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still looking at circle pacific fare J x 2, live in OZ, can commence Hong Kong or Auckland, intend to visit SFO then MIA, NYC, LAS possibly DFW return via SYD need to be One World member airline. Would use left over sector within following year.

How many US cities can we fit into 22 or 26K miles?
Use the great circle mapper to test your routes:
http://gc.kls2.com/

HKG-SFO-LAX-MIA-JFK-LAS-DFW-SYD-HKG=27,157. You can input your own possible routing to see what fits and what doesn't.

But you need to watch your stopovers:
8. PERMITTED STOPOVERS
A. Free: 22,000 miles – minimum two maximum four free stopovers permitted
26,000 miles – minimum two maximum five free stopovers permitted
29,000 miles – minimum two maximum six free stopovers permitted
NOTES:
i) Only one stopover permitted at any point.
ii) Two stopovers required outside country of origin.
iii) A maximum of one stopover in country of origin
iv) A maximum of two free stopovers per region (SWP / Asia / North America /
South America)

v) Where a passenger disembarks at one point and re-embarks at a subsequent point
enroute, the points count as a single stopover
Where there is a surface sector between two regions, this will count as a stopover in each of
the two regions. However, for the purpose of the total stopovers permitted, this will count as
one stopover only.
B. Additional: Permitted at an additional charge per stopover of USD150.00
NOTES:
i) Additional stopovers may not be purchased in country of origin.
ii) Additional stopovers restricted to two stopovers per region
iii) Child /infant discount not applicable
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:38 pm

We would go in J like

HKG-SFO-MIA-JFK-LAS-LAX-BNE-HKG

Would entering US via LAX.

Would use the BNE/HKG following year.

Have stacks of QFF points to get to HKG to commence CP trip.

So stops would be SFO/MIA/JFK/LAS (4 so get 2 for free and pay $150 each for other 2.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:59 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Quick question on the Circle Pacific fares.

So, flying in J...Starting at home in LAS....

Can I go....LAS-LAX-SYD-(stop for 2 days)-AKL(stop for a couple days)-SIN (via SYD or MEL)(stop again in SIN for 2)-HKG (stop again or no?)-JFK (stop for 2 days)-DFW-LAS.

Would this fly/work as I need days in SYD, AKL, SIN and HKG on an upcoming trip.

Thanks.....

Last edited by goingbananas; Dec 29, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.