FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   DONE3 for a southern African (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1733408-done3-southern-african.html)

groundops Dec 21, 2015 7:02 pm

DONE3 for a southern African

I work up and down Africa's west coast from Libreville to Cape Town via Luanda, Lobito and Swakopmund.

I have always been an EK man or when wavering a Star Alliance man. I do a few business flights in this region but they seldom classify for much more than 25% to 50% of miles...

So I am seriously looking at DONE3 as an opportunity to explore the world. At $7000/$9000 in J class ex JNB it is not too pricey so I would consider in J (can't quite afford F I an afraid).

I really want to maximise mileage (I am EK Gold) and love EK and want to gain top status with another airline... (and forgo EK)

Only places I really need to visit are GIG, BOG, HND/NRT, ICN, BKK

Very willing to visit a few other places but BKK and GIG are the cheapest from LAD...

The OWE tool does noty seem to like Luandans and I do see the advantage of starting elsewhere...

Any ideas on mileage maximisation would be appreciated and if a DOW4 would be better over a DOW3 please advise....

I do want to be gold on BA at end so will do flights to Alaska, NYC etc...

edy4eva Dec 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by groundops (Post 25899548)
I work up and down Africa's west coast from Libreville to Cape Town via Luanda, Lobito and Swakopmund.

I have always been an EK man or when wavering a Star Alliance man. I do a few business flights in this region but they seldom classify for much more than 25% to 50% of miles...

So I am seriously looking at DONE3 as an opportunity to explore the world. At $7000/$9000 in J class ex JNB it is not too pricey so I would consider in J (can't quite afford F I an afraid).

I really want to maximise mileage (I am EK Gold) and love EK and want to gain top status with another airline... (and forgo EK)

Only places I really need to visit are GIG, BOG, HND/NRT, ICN, BKK

Very willing to visit a few other places but BKK and GIG are the cheapest from LAD...

The OWE tool does noty seem to like Luandans and I do see the advantage of starting elsewhere...

Any ideas on mileage maximisation would be appreciated and if a DOW4 would be better over a DOW3 please advise....

How's this an EK related question :confused::confused:

Jimgotkp Dec 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva (Post 25899618)
How's this an EK related question :confused::confused:

Lol I was thinking the same thing... was wondering why a DONE-related thread was in the EK sub-forum instead of the oneworld sub-forum.

petercek Dec 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by groundops (Post 25899548)

I don't understand these statements. You are EK Gold and love EK and want to forget EK and become Gold on BA?

I think there are other ways to become Gold on BA rather than flying to Alaska and/or NYC just for that. BA flies also places you said you have to visit.

Could you rephrase your questions - maybe it is just a misunderstanding.

pandaperth Jan 13, 2016 7:36 am

When originating in a southern hemisphere continent, it is not possible to have a three-continent ticket (in other words a LONE3, DONE3 or AONE3) - four continents is the minimum

A basic itinerary for your needs would be something like:
LUN-LHR-GIG-GRU-BOG-DFW-ICN-NRT-BKK-LHR-LUN

I had no trouble setting this up in the online tool - for business class it prices out at USD 10,867 (base fare=9,315, the rest is taxes, fees and surcharges)
Under the rules, one of the visits to London must be a transit (meaning not longer than 24 hours)

I don't know anything about the BA frequent flyer programme, so I don't know what status you would achieve from this trip. I expect others can advise you of this.
The itinerary only uses 10 of the allowed 16 segments, so you can add flights such as DFW-ANC-DFW and/or LHR-MCT-LHR to increase your frequent flyer earning