Search

Changing FF# to get OW Sapphire benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS

Hi all,

I've made a booking with AA (statusless with them, but Silver with BA) with my BA FF#, so I got free seat selection on all segments. Now I think I might need to credit this booking to my AA account to get to gold soon, what should I do in order to keep my OW Sapphire benefits in the same time (mainly seat selection and lounge access)?

On aa.com I can change pretty much every detail of my booking except my name and FF#.

Last edited by redadeco; Dec 19, 2015 at 9:01 pm
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.

You're going to be able to hang onto previously made seat reservations in the main cabin irregardless, but other benefits may vary. You can change any time but benefits do change then.

I know you'll have problems checking in if you try to change FF after receiving an upgrade - the computer will prevent the GA from making the change (or from you holding onto your upgrade). As BA silver this may not be a concern, as I don't believe you'd qualify.

So your main cabin seating will remain the same, but to maintain lounge access you'll need to wait until after you get to the gate before changing loyalty.

Last edited by pfbloom; Dec 19, 2015 at 7:32 pm
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To change the ff number try manage my booking in the Finnair, RJ.com or Qatar web sites.
May work (and stick) or may not
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pfbloom
You're going to be able to hang onto previously made seat reservations in the main cabin irregardless, but other benefits may vary. You can change any time but benefits do change then.

I know you'll have problems checking in if you try to change FF after receiving an upgrade - the computer will prevent the GA from making the change (or from you holding onto your upgrade). As BA silver this may not be a concern, as I don't believe you'd qualify.

So your main cabin seating will remain the same, but to maintain lounge access you'll need to wait until after you get to the gate before changing loyalty.
I tried to access my booking from other OW carriers' websites without luck.

Also I see this under the "Upgrade your Trip" section in aa.com:
"We’ll add you to the upgrade standby list if you’re not confirmed before check in. Be sure you have enough 500-mile upgrades in your account before you check in." Is this the norm?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium

I had a recent experience in DFW. I originally put my AB OW Sapphire # in and got free MCE selection. I requested an agent to change my card to AS at check-in- no problem. BPs were reprinted without Priority AAcess but I managed to enter the lounge and priority board by showing my card. MCE seats stuck.

Imo, the only thing changing the # might affect is priority security and potentially free baggage.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kohswisscheese
I had a recent experience in DFW. I originally put my AB OW Sapphire # in and got free MCE selection. I requested an agent to change my card to AS at check-in- no problem. BPs were reprinted without Priority AAcess but I managed to enter the lounge and priority board by showing my card. MCE seats stuck.

Imo, the only thing changing the # might affect is priority security and potentially free baggage.
Thanks for the input! I'm flying out on Monday, I'll try to change it at check-in.
I only have carry on for this trip so luggage isn't an issue.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: OneWorld
Originally Posted by redadeco
Thanks for the input! I'm flying out on Monday, I'll try to change it at check-in.
I only have carry on for this trip so luggage isn't an issue.

Did this work?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:49 am
mgm

Thought I would add to this thread as I've searched the AA forum to no avail and maybe this will be of use to others in a similar position.

I'm PLT with AA but have moved countries and trying to build status with another OW airline. Have a trip to the U.S. with a couple of separate AA domestic bookings and was trying to figure out if I could use my 500 mile upgrades and then change the FF# to another OW account.

Reached out to AA via Twitter and they said I can have both numbers on the booking - the AA PLT # for status and upgrades and the other number to accumulate miles. The AA number has to stay on the booking to ensure the upgrades are processed correctly. Have to contact reservations to update the booking with both numbers. Will give it a shot and see what happens.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Search for FQTV / FQTS.

FQTV is the 'accrual' field - that's indicates where miles/points/status gets earned.
FQTS is the 'Status' filed - that's where the status benefits are sourced ..
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by mgm
Reached out to AA via Twitter and they said I can have both numbers on the booking - the AA PLT # for status and upgrades and the other number to accumulate miles. The AA number has to stay on the booking to ensure the upgrades are processed correctly. Have to contact reservations to update the booking with both numbers. Will give it a shot and see what happens.
I'm not optimistic that this will work properly. And if miles are mistakenly posted to AAdvantage, they will stay that way. Cannot be changed to another carrier's program after the fact.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:33 am
mgm

Originally Posted by serfty
Search for FQTV / FQTS.

FQTV is the 'accrual' field - that's indicates where miles/points/status gets earned.
FQTS is the 'Status' filed - that's where the status benefits are sourced ..
Thanks for that Serfty - I will keep a note of this as I'm sure when I call to make the change the agent might not be aware that you can do both.

I'm not optimistic that this will work properly. And if miles are mistakenly posted to AAdvantage, they will stay that way. Cannot be changed to another carrier's program after the fact.
I am somewhat dubious myself Dr. HFH, but my plan is to try it on a flight or two where it won't make a huge difference. If I can confirm with AA that they have entered my details as per Serfty's note above and then see what the results are I will know one way or the other. I'll report back once I try it but it won't be for about 6 weeks.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mgm
Thanks for that Serfty - I will keep a note of this as I'm sure when I call to make the change the agent might not be aware that you can do both.
Finding an agent that knows how to access these fields in the system can be difficult.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by moa999
Finding an agent that knows how to access these fields in the system can be difficult.
This is indeed very true. Such knowledge is rare.

Maybe the better way is to reach out via Twitter again and they may be able to do it for you.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 1:45 pm
Formerly known as pmclean

Originally Posted by mgm
Thought I would add to this thread as I've searched the AA forum to no avail and maybe this will be of use to others in a similar position.

I'm PLT with AA but have moved countries and trying to build status with another OW airline. Have a trip to the U.S. with a couple of separate AA domestic bookings and was trying to figure out if I could use my 500 mile upgrades and then change the FF# to another OW account.

Did this work? I was told the same thing last week and then once I booked my flight I called to do this and was told it's not possible at all!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:40 am
mgm

Thanks for reminding on this. I did try without much luck. Called a couple of agents who said not possible so HUCA. Finally got an agent who seemed to have more knowledge of AA's system and she basically said there are two fields for FF# data: one is FQTV which is where the mileage will be posted the other field was just a text field and as far as she understood was for information only.

In the end I decided my best option was to keep the AAdvantage number in the booking, check in online so my boarding passes had the status info (for security, boarding, etc.) and then have an agent at the airport to change the FF# to the other program. This worked fine with several bookings and I was able to accrue the desired status in my other program. Ultimately I had to forgo using the 500 mile upgrades but building status in the other program was more important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.