Wiki Posts
Search

Lounges - access, cost, who pays...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by moondog
it seems like you had ample time to venture outside the airport
I had some work to get done, and a good airport lounge is a great place for that...
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:32 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I've always wondered about this question and the recent kerfuffle about access to the QF lounge at LAX piqued my interest. There were numerous mentions that the reason why QF had an issue with domestic travellers getting access was because AA wasn't paying QF for the access.

Since AA members can't get access anyway on a domestic itinerary we are talking about OW status members traveling on AA which according to the above formula by Himeno should mean the OW airline granting status and not AA should be paying. But the sticking point was AA not paying.

So it sounds to me that it's always the operating carrier that pays?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: The Embassy
I was on an outbound JL itinerary from LAX, and the oneworld lounge lady was reluctant to let me in after I'd been in the QF First lounge.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
Since AA members can't get access anyway on a domestic itinerary we are talking about OW status members traveling on AA which according to the above formula by Himeno should mean the OW airline granting status and not AA should be paying. But the sticking point was AA not paying.

So it sounds to me that it's always the operating carrier that pays?
I can't say that AA were not paying for non AA *O elites; however they were very likely refusing to pay for their own elites on domestic itineraries.

An email was sent in relation to AAdvantage Elites (or non status PAX in First/Business) on AA domestic itineraries. It simply had the subject "Lounge Access".

Since that nor the content did not indicate specifically who or what it related to, the email was generalised and staff were told to deny all PAX travelling on AA domestic.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 15, 2015 at 7:19 pm
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
zebrametalevel

Seems that we were on the same flight,RJ 183 on 12th. I was in a light blue jacket,you might have noticed me at the gate/onboard/in the lounge. I have also visited both The Pier and The Wing,including The Attrium which had just opened that day.

When flying RJ,I always get the Premium Plaza voucher,but never actually managed to visit it untill that day. The was a really long queue for entrance and nearly no places to sit,so I left as soon as I entered.

I am wondering:
1)how much airlines pay for Premium Plaza access
2)does CX in this scenario get payed twice (if I enter 2 of their lounges)?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Just a datapoint, recent my experience.

As a non-status JL FFP member, I went to JL's first class lounge at HND.
My flight is a JL coded/operating international flight.
I presented my CX Diamond card.
A lounge agent registered my CX FFP no. at the lounge entrance.
My miles was credited to JL FFP.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
OWE (QR) flying ex HKG on RJ in J.

I've just finished dinner in CXs The Wing First Class, having had lunch and a nap in CXs The Pier First Class. Planning to go to the Qantas lounge for supper a little later, before heading to Plaza Premium - which RJ gave me a voucher for - for a nightcap before boarding. I've used my QR PC Platinum card for access so far.

Is there any cross-charging going on here? Will QR be getting a bill? RJ?
How early did you get to HKG? Sounds like you spent all day there!

From the other posts here, it seems that RJ will be billed your your lounges. I'm wonder if they get billed per lounge even when you visit multiple CX lounges?

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
I was on an outbound JL itinerary from LAX, and the oneworld lounge lady was reluctant to let me in after I'd been in the QF First lounge.
Why would you want to visit the OneWorld Business lounge after having been in the QF F lounge?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Try as I might, there doesn't seem to be any sense in a system where the FFP that bestows the status pays for the lounge access when not flying that carrier. Surely then status matches would be risky for the airline, as they would be paying out for lounge access on people that often fly mostly airlines that are not their own.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by beardoc
Try as I might, there doesn't seem to be any sense in a system where the FFP that bestows the status pays for the lounge access when not flying that carrier. Surely then status matches would be risky for the airline, as they would be paying out for lounge access on people that often fly mostly airlines that are not their own.
I think in that sense that a policy that 'forces' you to only gain access on the card to which you are crediting is somewhat justifiable.
- That card pays for your lounge access
- That card earns revenue in order to award you points/miles/SCs/TPs etc
no matter what airline you are flying on
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by beardoc
This is how Star Alliance and Skyteam works,actually I can see sense in both systems:

Your FFP airline pays: This would ensure that other airlines don't pay the costs of your airlines'cheap/easy qualification requirements (eg:why should LH keep paying for the cheap A3 Golds?). Airlines in Star/Skyteam are therefore discouraged from keeping the requirements too low and/or giving out status through status match e.t.c.

Operating airline pays:Take me as an example,RJ Emerald and I have 4 "prime routes/bases":
LHR=>BA
HKG=>CX/MH
DME=>S7
AMM=>RJ

When going to one of these places I do a lot of regional hops from there in a short period of time on "local" airlines,as seen above. Most of my flying (both distance and sector wise) is still done on RJ,but would that be fair for RJ to keep paying for my access when I fly DME-LED?

Also you can argue that the reason I take BA/CX/MH/S7 is because of the perks I get from them,which I would not get if I was flying VS/BR/HX/SU. The operating airlines therefore pay a fee (for lounge access),which can be seen as referral fee,instead of spending on avertisement to attract my business.

Probably the OW system still makes more sense to me,but as you can see there are arguments in favour of both systems.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
If you are both oneworld sapphire and flying in J on a oneworld airline, who pays for the lounge then?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Nippon_Koukuu
If you are both oneworld sapphire and flying in J on a oneworld airline, who pays for the lounge then?
See above,the operating airline pays in all cases.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:07 am

What if a pax is OWE, flying in carrier A's J class, but accessing carrier A First lounge by status? Still the operating airline paying for it?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by JALlover
What if a pax is OWE, flying in carrier A's J class, but accessing carrier A First lounge by status? Still the operating airline paying for it?
I believe so, shouldn't be any different.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I believe so, shouldn't be any different.
Thanks, cause getting different answers on this page alone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.