Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to stick to OW for an Asia work trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum

So work has told me I have to travel to Asia for business in late July. They fly us business class overseas, and I'm trying to maintain as many of the long distance flights on OW carriers, so as not to lose out on valuable EQM's.

The problem is, Star Alliance is exponentially cheaper on my routes (like under $5k!!), and I don't know what to do, since we are required to book the cheapest fare offered.

If anyone knows of some secret or crazy out of the way routing that would allow me to fly on OW carriers, I'd love the help. I can even take a few extra days at the beginning of the trip or end of the trip if having more stopovers would help.

I've tried the ITA matrix software, and my companies travel service software, but nothing seems to help. Here are places I have to be.

Depart CMH arrive SGN by 7/23
Depart SGN and Arrive HKG on 7/26
Depart HKG on or around 8/1

All for around $5k

I feel like I need a support group, as I'm having real anxiety about the possibility of flying all this way and ending up not earning a single useful (to me) mile.

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Try AA for ex-NYC or ORD J and F RT fares to ICN (but only ICN). You may have to buy the intra-Asia tix separately to get the cheap ICN fares, though.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...00-2200-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...aa-3474-a.html
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium

In the past, I've been able to get the carriers I want without getting too pricey by doing individual trips. I even got a series of one-ways put into a six segment itinerary using preferred carriers AND staying within policy. I'd recommend you get creative.

And worst case, would you be willing to downgrade a segment to bring the cost inline?

EDIT: Just priced something out real quick that got you closer. RT business CMH-HKG around your dates for $5,600 on American, and a separate econ RT HKG-SGN on Vietnam for $275. May be worth investigating. Can't easily post details because I'm mobile.

Last edited by mrsyeltzin; Apr 30, 2015 at 2:02 am
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin
And worst case, would you be willing to downgrade a segment to bring the cost inline?
If I was an employer who had paid for staff to travel business, presumably so they wouldn't be as useless as a squashed egg-tart after a long economy flight, I think I'd be a bit irate if I found out they had spent the same amount of money, gone economy, turned up tired and been unable to function as well as they would have had they gone business class on a more straightforward route which cost the same price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.