Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Korean Air Lines / KE - leave SkyTeam, join oneworld?

Old Mar 10, 15, 8:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Barron's recently speculated KE and DL / SkyTeam could part ways. If KE left SkyTeam, I wonder what the chances (and benefits) might be to joining oneworld?

"Opinion: American Airlines might pursue a three-way JV with JAL and Korean Air …which would be a potential ‘check mate’ for oneworld in Asia"

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowat...uy-alaska-air/
Old Mar 10, 15, 8:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The immediate benefit I see is the long overdue standardisation in presentation of pre departure snacks to F passengers.
Old Mar 10, 15, 8:38 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
There are a lot of moving pieces at the moment regarding KE and North America. First the codeshare with AA on DFW-ICN, now a whole slug of codeshares with Alaska through SEA, PDX and LAX. As Alaska's relationship with Delta circles the drain, there's renewed talk of AS joining OW, and if KE did too, they could be going head to head with DL through Seattle, potentially opening a major new OW Pacific gateway without jeopardizing AA's focus on LAX for transpac traffic. When UA pulled out of SEA-NRT (giving it to ANA with a daily 787) Delta swooped in with a whole palate of nonstops to China, Japan, and Hong Kong. There are some pretty significant premium-cabin corporate buyers in the Pacific Northwest, and having to schlep to LAX (or YVR) for OW transpac flights is so annoying that nobody does it.

KE has said they're not especially keen on leaving Skyteam, but Delta's abortive plan for a DL-KE JV apparently stuck in KE's craw, so they're currently embarking on a "separate, together" relationship with DL. We know how those things go over time with Delta.

SEA is undertaking a very major expansion program, particularly focusing on international traffic, so if OW could flip KE and AS I think it could be a pretty big deal in addressing one of (IMO) OW's big North American gaps.
Old Mar 10, 15, 8:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by og View Post
The immediate benefit I see is the long overdue standardisation in presentation of pre departure snacks to F passengers.
Nuts to that! ("She" won't be around to ensure the nuts presentation...)
Old Mar 11, 15, 2:16 am

I do hope not. KE is one of the airlines I avoid. They may claim to have sorted their safety issues out but the nut incident shows the old culture is still alive and kicking. Not a fit for Oneworld in my opinion.
Old Mar 13, 15, 3:23 am

Programs: BA (G), SK (S), KL
I personally would love this! KE brings an alternative and often cheaper access to Asia-Pacific and they do cover China pretty well too. I haven't tried them because of them being in Skyteam but I would definitely want to. A JV with JL/BA/AY across Siberia and one with JL & AA across the Pacific would be great for Oneworld IMO. This would leave Skyteam with virtually no-one in East Asia except like basically A tonne of airlines in "Greater" China. I'm not sure if this would ever happen though but certainly a possibility with the DL relationships and them already having code shares with eight OW airlines
Old Mar 17, 15, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
If this happens, I will have to rename my pesos as Rupiah as KE is one of the few YQ free ways for award travel to India. And if it does come over to 1W, then I won't be able to use my AA miles on KE to India as AA does not allow TPAC routes to India. So I won't be able to use KE at all, unless I fork over an extra 4.5K to hop over to CMB.
Old Mar 17, 15, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, CX MPC Silver
Here's another person who would be glad to see KE join OW.

I'm a huge fan of the KE-configured A380 (least amount of seats compared to other carriers) and routing through ICN on my way to China. Also, can top up mileage for award flights and upgrades through Chase UR.
Old Mar 17, 15, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by phol View Post
I do hope not. KE is one of the airlines I avoid.
Don't fly them
Old Mar 17, 15, 2:33 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
KE, AT, AS, and TN. oneworld is expanding rapidly.
Old Mar 17, 15, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Will CX not be opposed?
Old Mar 17, 15, 4:28 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Will CX not be opposed?
CX, JL, and MH...

If *A has CA, NH, OZ, TG, SQ, BR, AI, and ZH then no reason for CX to complain about having another Asian carrier in OW
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:03 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I don't see why CX should be opposed, particularly. KE isn't much of a competitor for CX on European routes (remember Seoul and Hong Kong are 3.5 hours' flying time apart). Looking across the Pacific, while CX is building its own routes into North America, its oneworld partner AA recently started flying into HK, an dJL already competes with CX on indirect routes. What competition would KE bring to CX as a oneworld partner that it doesn't already face? A bigger, stronger oneworld, on the other hand, could play in CX's favour. CX are doing pretty well out of their growing codeshare network, and I could see them getting some additional South/SE Asia traffic through KE feeders
Old Mar 18, 15, 3:54 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
If KE converts to OW would they be able to bring OK with them?

KE, AT, AS, and TN. oneworld is expanding rapidly.
AT is going the *A route.
Old Mar 18, 15, 5:37 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
CX, JL, and MH...

If *A has CA, NH, OZ, TG, SQ, BR, AI, and ZH then no reason for CX to complain about having another Asian carrier in OW
I don't see JL complaining about KE joining oneworld. They have an extensive codeshare agreement now with almost every KE and JL flight between Japan and Korea being codeshared.
Nor do I see MH having a problem. MH no longer flights transpac.
I do see CX having a problem.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: