Reload this Page >

OW Sapphire - LHR Lounge Question

Old Oct 12, 14, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold

Hello All,

Next month I have a flight from continental Europe to Sydney and have 7.50 hours stopover in LHR. I am OW Sapphire.

BA to LHR - Arrival in T5
MH from LHR to KUL - Dep from T4

I guess 7.50 hours is more than enough time to explore couple of lounges.

Am I allowed to check in to more than one lounge at the same stopover?

What lounges in T5 and T4 you would highly recommend.

Thanks for your inputs in advance.
Old Oct 12, 14, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only lounges that you can visit are those in T4

The lounges in T4 are Qatar Airways Premium Lounge , but the OneWorld ( http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access ) site does state
Originally Posted by OW
Notes: This lounge is only available to oneworld customers traveling in First and Business Class cabins

plus the Malaysian Airlines Golden Lounge

If in business or 1st class, I would suggest the QR lounge, otherwise the MH lounge is your only choice
Old Oct 12, 14, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
With a 7.5 hour layover I would seriously consider leaving the airport (assuming you hold a passport that would allow you to). You can look at the UK and Ireland forum for some ideas.
Old Oct 12, 14, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The only lounges that you can visit are those in T4

The lounges in T4 are Qatar Airways Premium Lounge , but the OneWorld ( http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access ) site does state

plus the Malaysian Airlines Golden Lounge

If in business or 1st class, I would suggest the QR lounge, otherwise the MH lounge is your only choice
Thanks Dave, I am traveling in Y. Oneworld site mentions the MH lounge is only open 4 hours prior to departure so was hoping to access one of the BA lounges in T5 before heading to T4. Are they very strict about not allowing access to pax flying from another terminal?

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
With a 7.5 hour layover I would seriously consider leaving the airport (assuming you hold a passport that would allow you to). You can look at the UK and Ireland forum for some ideas.
Jerry, unfortunately my passport does not allow to and getting UK visa is lot of paperwork and quite expensive here in Vienna (90 euros + 69 euros for third party company which handles applications). Have been to London many times and lived in Surrey for 6 months.
Old Oct 12, 14, 4:32 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
LHR T5 is a separated airport, I very much doubt that they would let you airside to access the airside BA T5 lounges.

BA does have an Arrivals lounge in T5, but unless BA Gold, I believe you need to have travelled in Business or First.
Old Oct 12, 14, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by travelhits View Post
Thanks Dave, I am traveling in Y. Oneworld site mentions the MH lounge is only open 4 hours prior to departure so was hoping to access one of the BA lounges in T5 before heading to T4. Are they very strict about not allowing access to pax flying from another terminal?
It is strict; you will not be able to access the lounges in other terminals. You will be limited to the MH lounge in T4

Can you change the flight to LHR to a later service?
Old Oct 12, 14, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It is strict; you will not be able to access the lounges in other terminals. You will be limited to the MH lounge in T4

Can you change the flight to LHR to a later service?
What's to stop a Sapphire OW member from going to T3 to the Admiral's Club? As long as you present your boarding pass and show you are transiting LHR onto a OW member flight, in this case Malaysia, you should be fine. In fact....not sure why you can't use any BA business level (Galleries) lounge either....Sapphire is all you need. Link here

I have used the Admiral's Club when I fly from Delhi to San Diego....I fly BA all the way and have had no issues changing from T5 to T3 for the lounge and then back to T5. Give yourself ample time to get around and get re screened in security. The Admiral's Club is awesome....it's gigantic...the showers are superb...the food is decent (great cappuccino machine)....lots of computer terminals. They need to buy more reclining chairs but it's super nice. (Note: I've only done T5 to T3 to T5 once and it was because I was only OW Ruby and I had purchased a one day pass to the Admiral's Club...I had no trouble moving between terminals)

This has been my experience....am I missing something?

Last edited by DiegoSan; Oct 12, 14 at 9:36 pm
Old Oct 13, 14, 12:24 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by DiegoSan View Post
What's to stop a Sapphire OW member from going to T3 to the Admiral's Club? As long as you present your boarding pass and show you are transiting LHR onto a OW member flight, in this case Malaysia, you should be fine. In fact....not sure why you can't use any BA business level (Galleries) lounge either....Sapphire is all you need. Link here

I have used the Admiral's Club when I fly from Delhi to San Diego....I fly BA all the way and have had no issues changing from T5 to T3 for the lounge and then back to T5. Give yourself ample time to get around and get re screened in security. The Admiral's Club is awesome....it's gigantic...the showers are superb...the food is decent (great cappuccino machine)....lots of computer terminals. They need to buy more reclining chairs but it's super nice. (Note: I've only done T5 to T3 to T5 once and it was because I was only OW Ruby and I had purchased a one day pass to the Admiral's Club...I had no trouble moving between terminals)

This has been my experience....am I missing something?
Yes. T5 has a boarding pass check at security (whereas T3 doesn't). Unless you have a valid same day boarding pass for a flight departing from T5 you will not be allowed through transfer security.
Old Oct 13, 14, 1:41 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I have used the Admiral's Club when I fly from Delhi to San Diego....I fly BA all the way and have had no issues changing from T5 to T3 for the lounge and then back to T5. Give yourself ample time to get around and get re screened in security. The Admiral's Club is awesome....it's gigantic...the showers are superb...the food is decent (great cappuccino machine)....lots of computer terminals.
You went through all the hassle of transferring from T5 to T3 just to use the AAdmirals Club? The BA and CX lounges in T3 are for the most part better, but then the BA lounges in T5 are as well and don't have the hassle of transferring terminals..

But you cannot access T5 airside departures without a valid T5 boarding pass.
Old Oct 13, 14, 1:48 am

I seem to recall that Heathrow Airport itself has a rule that restricts passengers from using lounges other than in their departure terminal
Old Oct 13, 14, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by nux View Post
You went through all the hassle of transferring from T5 to T3 just to use the AAdmirals Club? The BA and CX lounges in T3 are for the most part better, but then the BA lounges in T5 are as well and don't have the hassle of transferring terminals..

But you cannot access T5 airside departures without a valid T5 boarding pass.
If you read my post you will see that I had a one day pass to the Admirals Club and had no choice as I was only AA Gold at that time and was traveling Y. (I couldn't have gotten into any other OW lounges being just OW Ruby so Admirals Club was the only option)

Hassle? It's a free ride on the Heathrow Express from T5 to T3 or you can take a free transfer bus. Naturally I opted for the 5 minute ride on the Heathrow Express!! It took about 20 minutes total to change terminals but my layover was more than 6 hours.
Old Oct 14, 14, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your inputs. I think I am gonna try to access Admiral's Club in T3, Oneworld lounge finder does mention access to it for OW Sapphire.

It's in less than 4 weeks now, will update my experience soon on this post.
Old Oct 14, 14, 3:04 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you read my post you will see that I had a one day pass to the Admirals Club and had no choice as I was only AA Gold at that time and was traveling Y.
Yes apologies I did miss that, however in any other case personally I would recommend using the lounges available in the terminal you are departing at LHR.

Originally Posted by travelhits View Post
Thanks all for your inputs. I think I am gonna try to access Admiral's Club in T3, Oneworld lounge finder does mention access to it for OW Sapphire.

It's in less than 4 weeks now, will update my experience soon on this post.
I actually think that the AAdmirals in T3 is the worst of the three. If you are going to go to the effort of going airside at T3 then I would recommend going to the BA or CX lounges.

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ge-advice.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...minal-3-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ld-lounge.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...st-lounge.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ptions-t3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post22586399
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ch-lounge.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-lounges.html
Old Oct 14, 14, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by nux View Post
Yes apologies I did miss that, however in any other case personally I would recommend using the lounges available in the terminal you are departing at LHR.

I actually think that the AAdmirals in T3 is the worst of the three. If you are going to go to the effort of going airside at T3 then I would recommend going to the BA or CX lounges.

[/url]
Can one "lounge skip" to sample all three OW lounges on the same day? I notice at the Admirals Club they do something online when you check in. Not sure if they are just checking credentials or something more.
Old Oct 14, 14, 10:21 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can one "lounge skip" to sample all three OW lounges on the same day? I notice at the Admirals Club they do something online when you check in. Not sure if they are just checking credentials or something more.
You can indeed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: