Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Easy OneWorld status with Royal Jordanian FFP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, Delta Silver, United Silver

I learned about the low miles required for :-:A Gold through Aegean Airlines, so I just finished that program and got :-:A Gold! I'm looking to do something similar with oneworld. It looks like the lowest entry for oneworld status is with Royal Jordanian? Has anyone tried this? Here's the RJ website's FFP overview.

Status can be earned by accruing oneworld miles OR with segments, some required to be on RJ. Since I don't plan on flying RJ, obviously I'd choose the miles.

15k miles for Ruby status
35k miles for Sapphire status
55k miles for Emerald status

In addition, "Royal Plus Miles and Member shall get 1000 bonus Royal Plus Miles on his/her Member Account following the Member initial flight activity."

I don't have the ability to do an AA status challenge, since my company books my airline tickets, and they generally choose whichever major airline is cheapest. But I'm pretty confident that I can earn at least 35k miles in a year, if not 55k. Mostly I just want priority checkin/boarding and lounge access when I fly oneworld.

What's the catch? Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by hawkinsrv
What's the catch? Thanks!
the catch? Minimum RJ metal segments requirements.

To qualify for Platinum Plus, you must achieve one of the following within a period of 12 consecutive months:
- Earn 55,000 tier miles.
- Travel a minimum of 42 Segments (at least 12 Segments must be flown on Royal Jordanian flights).
for Emerald, and
To qualify for Gold Plus, you must achieve one of the following within a period of 12 consecutive months:
- Earn 35,000 tier miles.
- Travel a minimum of 28 Segments (at least 8 Segments must be flown on Royal Jordanian flights).
for Sapphire.

UL's FlySmiles has similarly low mileage requirements but also requires a ton of segments on their own metal. So - if you can't fly them chasing OW status with their FFPs doesn't make sense.
Oneworld unfortunately doesn't have an A3 equivalent...

Last edited by bhomburg; Sep 15, 2014 at 3:12 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:06 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:33 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by angatol
There's a one of in there. Seems to say 55k miles without any minimum on RJ metal
No. The wording isn't very precise, but regardless of if you qualify via miles or segments, 12 segments need to be flown on RJ. I called them about this when I was about to defect to OW from M&M and this is what they told me.
There would be more threads about their program in here (not to speak of blogs etc.) if they would offer a real shortcut to status.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:30 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:56 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
From the terms and conditions:
Flights eligible for Tier Miles are (a) RJ Flights; and (b) oneworld alliance flights.
Minimum RJ flight for Silver tier qualification or maintenance is 4
Minimum RJ flights for Gold tier qualification or maintenance is 10
Minimum RJ flights for Platinum tier qualification or maintenance is 20
http://www.rj.com/en/royal_plus_terms_conditions.html

I think we went down this road a few years ago when someone else thought RJ looked like easy pickings.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, Delta Silver, United Silver
Originally Posted by bhomburg
No. The wording isn't very precise, but regardless of if you qualify via miles or segments, 12 segments need to be flown on RJ. I called them about this when I was about to defect to OW from M&M and this is what they told me.
There would be more threads about their program in here (not to speak of blogs etc.) if they would offer a real shortcut to status.
Darn it! Well that's the catch I was looking to find. Glad to hear it from someone who called. Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It really depends on your flying pattern and where you are based. I am gathering you are US based but don't know where you fly - using BA's EC programme 1 return flight on QR in J to say Singapore from New York would pretty much get you to OW Sapphire.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:03 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I think if it were that easy to attain Emerald status on RJ, frequent fliers would be flocking to their program. It's just like JL. If i'm correct, you need 80k to attain Emerald. That's a piece of cake. HOWEVER, if you look at JL's fare structure, there are so many fares that earn, 25%, 50%, 70%, etc. If you want the 100% fares, you have to book the higher classes; W, Y, B, & E. Discounted business class gets you 70%! There's ALWAYS a catch.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by gemini573
I think if it were that easy to attain Emerald status on RJ, frequent fliers would be flocking to their program. It's just like JL. If i'm correct, you need 80k to attain Emerald. That's a piece of cake. HOWEVER, if you look at JL's fare structure, there are so many fares that earn, 25%, 50%, 70%, etc. If you want the 100% fares, you have to book the higher classes; W, Y, B, & E. Discounted business class gets you 70%! There's ALWAYS a catch.
However, taking account of JL's double status miles for domestic routes,
you can earn 80k for 800,000JPY (e.g, HND-OKA domestic discount F 28 oneways). If you use a well-known crafted MR route (HND-xOKA-xHND-SIN-xHND-xOKA-HND), 80k for approx 650,000JPY.
The point is a domestic flight (HND-OKA) that is connecting an international flight earns 100% mileage (a HND-OKA earns 1968 status miles) independent of an international booking class.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:59 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
There are still lots of options where you can challenge up to AA Platinum (OW Sapphire) for around US$1000, e.g. SFO-ORD-MIA-PTY-MIA-ORD-SFO in F/J, around 8400 miles (hence well over 10,000 EQP at 1.5 EQP/mile). There's a signup fee for the challenge, but it can still be a bargain given you can obtain the status with one weekend's flying in a premium cabin. See the AA board for details.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:57 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
However, taking account of JL's double status miles for domestic routes,
you can earn 80k for 800,000JPY (e.g, HND-OKA domestic discount F 28 oneways). If you use a well-known crafted MR route (HND-xOKA-xHND-SIN-xHND-xOKA-HND), 80k for approx 650,000JPY.
The point is a domestic flight (HND-OKA) that is connecting an international flight earns 100% mileage (a HND-OKA earns 1968 status miles) independent of an international booking class.
Too bad I don't live in Japan. Sounds tempting, but I'm quite happy with the program I'm with now.

As far as picking the FFP, my philosophy is pick the airline you plan on doing the most flying with. You will ALWAYS be treated better being the elite member from the airline you do your flying with as opposed to being a top tier member of a oneworld alliance airline.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: A3 Gold | OZ Gold | BD RIP // BA Silver | QR Silver // AF Ivory | KE Skypass
Note there are two more catches here:

(a) RJ calculates mileage by NAUTICAL MILES and not regular miles
(b) Earning rates are terrible, really terrible

So, yeah, looks better on paper than it actually is unfortunately
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA*S A3*G TK *G EY G AA G RJ Gold IHG Spire Amb HH DIamond Marriott Gold BW DIAMOND SELECT
Not as hard as it looks

Originally Posted by jbwe350
Note there are two more catches here:

(a) RJ calculates mileage by NAUTICAL MILES and not regular miles
(b) Earning rates are terrible, really terrible

So, yeah, looks better on paper than it actually is unfortunately
I got Saphire status with RJ with two RJ round trip tickets and crediting cheap partner flights. TLV-AMM-ORD-SFO
There is a slight glitch in their system (PM me)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.