Wiki Posts
Search

Question on international airport transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Question Question on international airport transfers

(Hopefully) quick question on what process I (and my bags) go through when transferring at an international airport in order to get to a third country.

For Example, my possible flight plan choices include:

STL - ORD - DUS - VIE

and

STL - JFK - MAD - VIE

QUESTION: When I arrive at either DUS or MAD, do I need to go through customs, get my bags, or any combination thereof, in order to get to the connecting flight to VIE, which is my final destination?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your passport issued by which country?
Would all these flights be booked as 1 ticket/PNR ?
Are the airlines in the same alliance or have an interline aggreement ?
Is the arrival & departure in the terminal (if airport has more than 1 terminal) ?

Many countries have airside transit.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 19, 2014 at 9:58 pm
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Your passport issued by which country?
Would all these flights be booked as 1 ticket/PNR ?
Are the airlines in the same alliance or have interline aggreement ?
Is the arrival & departure in the terminal (if airport has more than terminal) ?

Many countries have airside transit.
1. I have a US passport
2. This would be booked as a single ticket, starting in STL and ending in VIE (this is a mile redemption ticket)
3. All airlines are OneWorld
4. No idea, to be honest. AA.com doesn't specify terminals...only that I arrive in DUS (for example) on AA, and leave there on Air Berlin to get to VIE.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In that case very unlikely you will need to collect baggage (but do not rely on my opinion)
Are all the transits a few hours? If overnight it may be different
If you google the airports, the airport web sites may give you an idea
Or ask in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/ and/or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...eria-plus-683/
Personally I would prefer a German transit over a Spanish, it transit times are about equal

Be very careful about carry on. Most Eu carriers limit to about 7kg/15lb and have size restrictions. Nothing like what is common practise with USA airlines
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In that case very unlikely you will need to collect baggage (but do not rely on my opinion)
Are all the transits a few hours? If overnight it may be different
If you google the airports, the airport web sites may give you an idea
Or ask in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/ and/or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...eria-plus-683/
Personally I would prefer a German transit over a Spanish, it transit times are about equal

Be very careful about carry on. Most Eu carriers limit to about 7kg/15lb and have size restrictions. Nothing like what is common practise with USA airlines
Thanks! The transfers would be for a few hours...half a day at most. No overnight transfers though.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The folks over in the oneworld forum may deal with transfers at these airports fairly often, so I'll move this thread there for further input.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: EK Gold

About your question regarding customs. You will go through immigration in DUS, as you are entering the schengen area there, but through customs in VIE
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:10 am

The first question is: can you check your luggage thru? Yes, unless you are on a combination of airlines which don't allow this. It does not matter if it is one or more tickets.
You travel from/to Schengen countries (most central european countries except the UK and some others). You will pass thru immigration at the first entry into the Schengen area (DUS or MAD). You will also pass thru customs there with your carry on (but usually don't even notice because often there is nobody at the customs station and you can just walk thru).
You will pick up your checked luggage at the last airport (VIE) and pass thru customs. The customs people see from the baggage tag (green stripe on the side or not) if you are coming from an European country or from outside.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
The first question is: can you check your luggage thru? Yes, unless you are on a combination of airlines which don't allow this. It does not matter if it is one or more tickets.
You travel from/to Schengen countries (most central european countries except the UK and some others). You will pass thru immigration at the first entry into the Schengen area (DUS or MAD). You will also pass thru customs there with your carry on (but usually don't even notice because often there is nobody at the customs station and you can just walk thru).
You will pick up your checked luggage at the last airport (VIE) and pass thru customs. The customs people see from the baggage tag (green stripe on the side or not) if you are coming from an European country or from outside.
That is correct. I will just add that any OW airline can interline bags with any OW airline, so OP doesn't need to pick up bags at either DUS or MAD.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

If important, DUS airport for oneworld is a faster connection due to smaller size; however, MAD has more shopping and restaurant choices.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:43 am

It's not that predictable

Sorry to muddy the waters for OP but ime it's just not as predictable as it was 'in the day'.

If you transit a place on the same carrier chances are high they'll transit your bags. Otherwise, e.g.:

- recently on LHR-FCO-MAD, BA wouldn't pass my bags on to IB at FCO despite the two carriers being in OW and owned by the same holding company. Couldn't issue a bp for FCO-MAD at Heathrow.

- LAX-LHR-DUB all on BA, bag tagged to DUB but despite 2 hours didn't make the transfer and took most of a week to catch up with us. A companion joining us flying JFK-LHR-DUB on AA/BA wasn't allowed the transfer so went land-side to do the chore and of course had his bag at DUB.

So for best advice say the carriers involved, and consider the risks of baggage mis-handling vs. length of time to go landside and back at the the transit airports. Time will likely be shorter for fast-track, of course.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Sorry to muddy the waters for OP but ime it's just not as predictable as it was 'in the day'.

If you transit a place on the same carrier chances are high they'll transit your bags. Otherwise, e.g.:

- recently on LHR-FCO-MAD, BA wouldn't pass my bags on to IB at FCO despite the two carriers being in OW and owned by the same holding company. Couldn't issue a bp for FCO-MAD at Heathrow.

- LAX-LHR-DUB all on BA, bag tagged to DUB but despite 2 hours didn't make the transfer and took most of a week to catch up with us. A companion joining us flying JFK-LHR-DUB on AA/BA wasn't allowed the transfer so went land-side to do the chore and of course had his bag at DUB.

So for best advice say the carriers involved, and consider the risks of baggage mis-handling vs. length of time to go landside and back at the the transit airports. Time will likely be shorter for fast-track, of course.
Unless this is a very recent change, the first agent is wrong. As described in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...one-world.html, BA will through tag to separate TKTs only if it were OW. However, agents sometimes make mistakes. See http://www.britishairways.com/en-bw/...on/checking-in --> Check-in essentials --> Checking in baggage

Last edited by ernestnywang; Jan 20, 2014 at 5:04 pm
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Unless this is a very recent change, the first agent is wrong. As described in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...one-world.html, BA will through tag to separate TKTs only if it were OW. However, agents sometimes make mistakes. See http://www.britishairways.com/en-bw/...on/checking-in --> Check-in essentials --> Checking in baggage
The agent's supervisor (I'm seldom shy!) was also wrong. My point was that it's to far from certain to make travel plans that count on it happening.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. I really appreciate it!

To make sure I keep us all on the same page, allow me to clarify a couple of things on my route choices:

First option: STL-ORD-DUS-VIE
All segments of that trip are on AA, except for the DUS-VIE leg, which is handled by Air Berlin. All layovers are less than 3 hours, so would AA transfer my bags to AB for the last leg?

Alt. Option: STL-ORD-LHR-VIE
All segments are AA, except for LHR-VIE, which is handled by BA. NOTE: While my departure flight from ORD would land at 10:45pm local time in London, the LHR-VIE leg would not kick off until 7:45am the next morning.

If I took this option, would I get my check bags back and go through customs, or would AA check them through to VIE, and let BA's handlers sort it out?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People have already given there best opinions about your baggage transfer above

This is the first time you have a BA/LHR options:- a very different game. Is this a paid or award flight?

IMHO going via DUS far better than paying for an overnight hotel at LHR. Overnight (a new day) AA/BA may not (or may) transfer. LHR closes at night if I recall, as its has a curfew. Is AB in the same terminal as AA? Given an option many people (including me) chose not to transit at LHR.
Note customs and immigration are not the same.
You are making this hard for yourself

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 21, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.