Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Can a *ONE* do Australia-Europe-Africa-N America?

Can a *ONE* do Australia-Europe-Africa-N America?

Old Feb 7, 13, 6:11 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NTL
Programs: a3G qf(nb) va
Posts: 46
Can a *ONE* do Australia-Europe-Africa-N America?

I'm playing around with the oneworld planner to get an itinerary that includes Spain, South Africa and then Canada and I keep getting stuck because the only way it will send me from Spain to South Africa is via London and similarly the only way from JNB to New York is via London.

Am I out of luck, or is there something I'm missing here?
status level flint is offline  
Old Feb 7, 13, 6:36 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,894
Spain from UK is cheap. What put in the *ONE* ?

For "Australia-Europe-Africa-N America" you are a *ONE5 Australia-Asia-Europe-Africa-N America-Australia" as you touch Asia or Dubai
Poor value as some number of segments as a *ONE4
Australia-Africa-Europe-N America-Australia is a *ONE4

Have a kook at MM http://slfft.org/mm/award.htm, but as yet does not include Malaysia

Edit:
SLF updated MM about 1 hour ago http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post20206864

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 7, 13 at 8:28 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Feb 7, 13, 11:02 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,594
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
For "Australia-Europe-Africa-N America" you are a *ONE5 Australia-Asia-Europe-Africa-N America-Australia" as you touch Asia or Dubai
But isn't Dubai part of the Middle East? So, theoretically, couldn't you do LHR-DXB-SYD?
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old Feb 7, 13, 11:19 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NTL
Programs: a3G qf(nb) va
Posts: 46
Unhappy

Spain isn't really the issue.

My itin needs SYD-AMS (land) BCL-JNB-YUL-YVR-SYD

SYD-AMS will need a stop in either Hong Kong or Dubai (the QF code shares on Emirates weren't showing up in the web tool to get from Dubai to AMS) so that means it is a *ONE5.

However, I can't avoid LHR on my way from anywhere in Europe to JNB (so adding in a cheap LHR-BCN return is no help), which is a problem because I also can't avoid LHR on my way from JNB to anywhere in North America. That gives 2 intercontinental departures from Europe, which isn't allowed.
status level flint is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 12:10 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,894
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
But isn't Dubai part of the Middle East? So, theoretically, couldn't you do LHR-DXB-SYD?
OW changed the rules. From the rules 3015v88_oneworld_Explorer_1Nov12.pdf
(k) Travel between South West Pacific and Europe/Middle East on a single flight number/or by surface is considered travelling SWP-Asia-Europe/Middle East through three continents.
____________
Originally Posted by status level flint View Post
.....will need a stop in either Hong Kong or Dubai (the QF code shares on Emirates weren't showing up in the web tool to get from Dubai to AMS) so that means it is a *ONE5.
And QF code shares on Emirates will never show as *ONE* needs to on OW metal: no EK aircraft

The easy alternative is buy MAD/LHR-JNB return and have separate from the *ONE*
Consider the cost difference *ONE4 to *ONE5. Both are 16 segments

MM with "ignore: for expert users"
http://www.slfft.org/mm/award.htm?ow...R-SYD&cabins=y

BCL should be BCN
YUL-YVR has no OW service
Many other errors

You need to have a different route

Edit:
this works In MM: http://www.slfft.org/mm/award.htm?ow...X-SYD&cabins=y
SYD-JNB-MAD,AMS-LHR-JFK-YUL-ORD-SEA-DFW-LAX-SYD (SEA in place of YRV - take the bus)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 8, 13 at 12:36 am
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 12:13 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,815
Originally Posted by status level flint View Post
Spain isn't really the issue.

My itin needs SYD-AMS (land) BCL-JNB-YUL-YVR-SYD

SYD-AMS will need a stop in either Hong Kong or Dubai (the QF code shares on Emirates weren't showing up in the web tool to get from Dubai to AMS) so that means it is a *ONE5.

However, I can't avoid LHR on my way from anywhere in Europe to JNB (so adding in a cheap LHR-BCN return is no help), which is a problem because I also can't avoid LHR on my way from JNB to anywhere in North America. That gives 2 intercontinental departures from Europe, which isn't allowed.
I think you need to list where you are trying to go and in what order.
I'm not sure I (and others) understand what you are trying to do:
SYD-AMS (land) BCL-JNB-YUL-YVR-SYD
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 12:43 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,894
Can a *ONE* do Australia-Europe-Africa-N America?
No. There is No OW service Africa-North America
You need to have a different route

Downland the timetable (pdf & desktop) from www.oneworld.com
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 1:31 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: used to be PER, now it's nowhere/eveywhere
Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
Posts: 3,181
Originally Posted by status level flint View Post
Can a *ONE* do Australia-Europe-Africa-N America?
Am I out of luck, or is there something I'm missing here?
Short answer is "yes it can"
contrary to what others have said
But the way it would have to do it might not suit you

SYD-xxx-AMS-BCN-LHR-JNB//NBO-xLHR-YUL...
a second visit to Europe is allowed, provided one of the visits is satisfies the exception:So you would need to buy a one-way ticket JNB-NBO

The itinerary will be a *ONE5 because, as Mwenenzi pointed out travel SWP-Europe is considered travelling via Asia (and BTW that rule has been there a long time). I for one am hoping this will change when QF commences non-stop flights SYD/MEL-DXB, but I'm not holding my breath.
pandaperth is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 1:48 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,894
Originally Posted by pandaperth View Post
Short answer is "yes it can" contrary to what others have said
But the way it would have to do it might not suit you

SYD-xxx-AMS-BCN-LHR-JNB//NBO-xLHR-YUL...
a second visit to Europe is allowed, provided one of the visits is satisfies the exception:,,.
Yep good point.
But for me Eu - J'burg return on any carrier may be better to make it a *ONE4

This works: SYD-LHR-AMS-MAD-BCN-LHR-JNB,NBO-LHR-YUL-DFW-YVR-DFW-SYD
http://www.slfft.org/mm/award.htm?ow...W-SYD&cabins=y
Origin: SYD (au);
1: SYD-LHR: intercontinental
2: LHR-AMS: 1st of 4 (Europe)
3: AMS-MAD: 2nd of 4 (Europe)
4: MAD-BCN: 3rd of 4 (Europe)
5: BCN-LHR: 4th of 4 (Europe)
6: LHR-JNB: intercontinental
7: JNB-NBO: surface
8: NBO-LHR: intercontinental
9: LHR-YUL: 1st of 1 (intercontinental entry to North America without immediate transit & departure)
10: YUL-DFW: 1st of 6 (North America)
11: DFW-YVR: 2nd of 6 (North America)
12: YVR-DFW: 3rd of 6 (North America)
13: DFW-SYD: intercontinental
Congratulations!! Valid itinerary!!! - (39489 miles)

Another SYD-HKG-AMS-MAD-BCN-LHR-JNB,NBO-LHR-YUL-DFW-YVR-hkg-SYD
http://www.slfft.org/mm/award.htm?ow...G-SYD&cabins=y
Origin: SYD (au);
1: SYD-HKG: intercontinental
2: HKG-AMS: intercontinental
3: AMS-MAD: 1st of 4 (Europe)
4: MAD-BCN: 2nd of 4 (Europe)
5: BCN-LHR: 3rd of 4 (Europe)
6: LHR-JNB: intercontinental
7: JNB-NBO: surface
8: NBO-LHR: intercontinental
9: LHR-YUL: 1st of 1 (intercontinental entry to North America without immediate transit & departure)
10: YUL-DFW: 1st of 6 (North America)
11: DFW-YVR: 2nd of 6 (North America)
12: YVR-HKG: intercontinental
13: HKG-SYD: intercontinental
Congratulations!! Valid itinerary!!! - (39684 miles)

Edit: another 7000 miles (16 segments)
SYD-hkg-AMS-MAD-BCN-LHR-JNB,NBO-LHR-YUL-DFW-YVR-DFW-LAX-KUL-AKL-SYD
http://www.slfft.org/mm/award.htm?ow...L-SYD&cabins=y
SLF wants the new MH routes in MM to be tested

Origin: SYD (au);
1: SYD-HKG: intercontinental
2: HKG-AMS: intercontinental
3: AMS-MAD: 1st of 4 (Europe)
4: MAD-BCN: 2nd of 4 (Europe)
5: BCN-LHR: 3rd of 4 (Europe)
6: LHR-JNB: intercontinental
7: JNB-NBO: surface
8: NBO-LHR: intercontinental
9: LHR-YUL: 1st of 1 (intercontinental entry to North America without immediate transit & departure)
10: YUL-DFW: 1st of 6 (North America)
11: DFW-YVR: 2nd of 6 (North America)
12: YVR-DFW: 3rd of 6 (North America)
13: DFW-LAX: 4th of 6 (North America)
14: LAX-KUL: intercontinental
15: KUL-AKL: intercontinental
16: AKL-SYD: 1st of 4 (Southwest Pacific)
Congratulations!! Valid itinerary!!! - (47251 miles)

_______________
Be careful of earning miles/points on CX
MH fly KUL AMS, FRA & CDG
_______________
Originally Posted by pandaperth View Post
..The itinerary will be a *ONE5 because, as Mwenenzi pointed out travel SWP-Europe is considered travelling via Asia (and BTW that rule has been there a long time)..
Was "Middle East" in (k) before the QF/EK arrangement was announced ? Was not the 2009 rule 3015 pdf

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 8, 13 at 4:36 pm Reason: spelling
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 2:13 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: used to be PER, now it's nowhere/eveywhere
Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
Posts: 3,181
One point:
if making use of the 2nd visit to Europe rule, then the online tool will fail - this is a known bug (see the bugs thread)

Mwenenzi - I have old copies of the rules somewhere, I will dig them out and let you know if Middle East was in earlier versions
pandaperth is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 2:23 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: QFF
Posts: 5,298
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Was "Middle East" in (k) before the QF/EK arrangement was announced ? Was not the 2009 rule 3015 pdf
It has been there for as long as I can remember. Since at least 2010.

Am I out of luck, or is there something I'm missing here?
There is no oneworld flight across the Atlantic to/from Africa (There was going to be, but MH got rid of it last year during their cost cutting). In order to complete a RTW with Africa, you have to include Europe.
Himeno is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 2:30 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,894
Originally Posted by Himeno View Post
It has been there for as long as I can remember. Since at least 2010.
2010 is only 3 years ago, You can't member many years back then
"ME" is not in the 8 Aug 2009 pdf I have
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 5:09 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: QFF
Posts: 5,298
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
2010 is only 3 years ago, You can't member many years back then
"ME" is not in the 8 Aug 2009 pdf I have
:P 2010 is also the first time I had to plan every detail of a trip myself and research the fare rules after the local Qantas Travel office closed.
Himeno is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 4:34 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,894
Originally Posted by Himeno View Post
2010 is also the first time I had to plan every detail of a trip myself and research the fare rules after the local Qantas Travel office closed.
I did a 28 segment LONE4 in 2003. The QF agent in the QF retail shop had never seen so many segments. Most *ONE* RTW's he sold had 5 or 6 segments. Knew the rules well at that time and for few years after that.

Here at FT we use the *ONE* rules to the extreme
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Feb 8, 13, 9:29 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: used to be PER, now it's nowhere/eveywhere
Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
Posts: 3,181
Originally Posted by pandaperth View Post
Mwenenzi - I have old copies of the rules somewhere, I will dig them out and let you know if Middle East was in earlier versions
Mmmm, seems I donít have as many old copies of the *ONE* rules as I though I had
The oldest I have is dated 3-Jan-2008
Continents are defined as:
Europe Middle East (including Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Sudan)
Ö
4(j) Travel between Australia and Europe on a single flight number is considered travelling SW Pacific-Asia-Europe through three continents.
Identical wording in the rules dated 1-Apr-2008

My next rules date from 8-Mar-2012 (!)
Continents are defined as:
*Europe-Middle East (Including Algeria, Egypt, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Morocco Russia both east and west of the Urals, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan )
Ö
4(k) Travel between South West Pacific and Europe/Middle East on a single flight number/or by surface is considered travelling SWP-Asia-Europe through three continents.
But even so I think the above does demonstrate that the Middle East was included in the rule well before there was any move by QF to fly Aus-ME non-stop
pandaperth is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: