Wiki Posts
Search

JAL from San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
JAL from San Diego

I've been reading these threads about oneworld, but I'm still baffled. I live in Tokyo, travel to San Diego 4 times a year. I've got almost 200,000 miles on Korean and will cash that all in soon. JAL now has flights directly from San Diego to Tokyo and I want to switch to oneworld because of that. No more schlepping up to LA to get a flight to Tokyo. No more obnoxious LA security
checks - the SD folk are much more civil. But , which frequent flier program
would be best? I want miles, as many as I can get. I always fly economy. A credit card might also be a good idea. I have the Korean card and that has worked out OK. Can anyone offer some advice? I'd appreciate some guidance.
Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Do you do any other travelling outside these 4 flights?
Assuming by Economy you mean cheapest available - normally a discount class unless you book last minute.

AA earn on JAL : http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ines/japan.jsp
JAL earn on JAL : http://www.ar.jal.com/world/en/jalmile/flight/jal.html
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
duplicate
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:49 am
Original Poster

JAL/AA?

Thank you for the links. Yes, cheapest available through, usually, Vayama or
H.I.S. On Korean that always seems to get me 70% miles traveled. I assume it would be similar on JAL.

From your link it seemed that AA might be a slightly better choice. And I think they have a credit card promotion. Or did. I should check. But I have wondered if they are going to be around in two years. And if not, what would happen to any miles accumulated?

The only other travel I do is in the Pacific Northwest - Oregon, and sometimes I fly to San Francisco, but those trips are only now and then. The bulk of my travel is NRT -SAN. So, assuming AA doesn't go out of business, I guess I should sign up for their program. Ne?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
For little expense you can fly to LAX from SAN. When you say schlepping it up to LAX do you mean fly or drive? It's fairly inexpensive for the RT and also CLD has a 22 minute flight into LAX if your in North County.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Of course the CLD flight is on UA, so that doesn't help the OP who's looking at oneworld.

Given your interest in the PNW, you might look harder at AA's program, which has strong ties to AS (100% RDM, EQM, elite benefits, etc.).

To maximize mileage on your trips TYO-SAN, you could fly NRT-JL-SAN-AA-LAX-AA-NRT and bank to AA's program, giving you the 50% or 70% accrual for the NRT-SAN leg and 100% accrual for the SAN-LAX-NRT legs while only having to clear security once in each direction.

Peace.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Well, going through security twice maddens me. Once at SAN and once at LAX. If I could get a flight from SAN that went to a terminal at LAX that did not require me to walk to another terminal, and so go through security again, I wouldn't mind the LAX leg so much.
But the direct JAL flight from SAN saves time and hassle, so it's really appealing. So I really want to start doing that. And from the replies here, it seems AA would be my best bet for an FF membership. So, thanks for the replies. AA it is.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: JGC Premier (OWE)
Actually, you might be better off crediting to JL. As a Japan region member, if you get one of the JALCard credit cards, then for ¥2000 or so per year the Tour Premium option gets you 100% RDM on all JL flights.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kavade
..On Korean that always seems to get me 70% miles traveled. I assume it would be similar on JAL.
A brave assumption. You can never assume things about ffp's

Earning is only one side of the equation. The other is burning (using)
When you get the miles what do you want to do with them ?
What are burn rates & fees for JL awards ?

Have a look here, but few if any responses about JL:-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

This is good (from a post on 2 Feb 2013)
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
< snip>
One important thing to note is that miles/points earning and redemption are only a part of the whole FF business. A big factor in choosing your plan preferences is whether you'd fly enough with your chosen airline(s) in order to reach elite frequent flyer status. With elite status comes various perks - access to lounges, expedited passage through airports, seat selections, upgrades, baggage allowances, etc. - that can be as important if not more important to frequent travelers. So those factors also need to be understood as you make your choices.

It involves homework and research, but the rewards can be very significant, well worth the effort. (Or so many of us think. Of course we can be both delusional and exhibit OCD symptoms in this regard. Welcome to the madhouse.)
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by kavade
Well, going through security twice maddens me. Once at SAN and once at LAX. If I could get a flight from SAN that went to a terminal at LAX that did not require me to walk to another terminal, and so go through security again, I wouldn't mind the LAX leg so much.
This was exactly my point. Returning SAN-AA-LAX-AA-NRT would mean you only clear security once, at SAN. The AA flight SAN-LAX would get you to the Eagle terminal, where you're an airside bus-ride away from T4; no need to go through security again.

On Mwenenzi's point, if you're going to be flying over 100k/yr, you'll get international upgrades with AA, which may be a worthwhile benefit for you. Admittedly, however, I know very little about JAL's program to compare it with.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I was being a bit thick headed there. Yes, I see the advantage of AA now, if going by LAX. Thank you.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:16 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mt-i
Actually, you might be better off crediting to JL. As a Japan region member, if you get one of the JALCard credit cards, then for ¥2000 or so per year the Tour Premium option gets you 100% RDM on all JL flights.
Not all, only qualifying booking classes, e.g. Q is not eligible
Old Feb 8, 2013, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
One big factor is that when redeeming awards onJL programme, you will pay YQ whereas on AAdvantage , you don't (except on BA).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Just booked a friend from SAN to Tokyo on JAL using Avios. She wanted 4 tickets for next Christmas vacation and we got them! (Hurray for my FT education)

YQ a definite factor, so I'd vote for AA miles just because of that.

Isn't the OP saying he DOESN'T want to shlepp through LA on his way to San Diego, not the other way around?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Isn't the OP saying he DOESN'T want to shlepp through LA on his way to San Diego, not the other way around?
I took it to mean s/he didn't want to drive up to LAX, a common practice for San Diegans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.