Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage or BA Executive Club

Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Hey there,

I posted on the decision thread, but unfortunately did not get an answer, so Im trying here again.

Im currently tring to decide between AAdvantage or Ba's Executive Club.

I have already booked a MAD-JFK doublestacker, so that's 7k each, which seem to be 15k on AA and 140 TP on EC, so about half for both. I expect to fly JFK-AUS too.

Generally, I love flying, however do not have the appropriate purchasing power so far to attempt to get to a level, or try to move even higher. Assuming I could get to the lowest level (AA Gold or EC Silver), which one should I take?

I'm from Berlin, but went to school in Boston which is my base when I'm in the US. Very hard for me to estimate travel patterns in the future. I like AA bcs I do think I might do more travels in the US, but I heard very good things about using Avios.

Appreciate any help you could give me
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
IMO, AA has a much better earn/burn ratio, although it does depend somewhat on your travel pattern. Generally speaking, though, I'd recommend AA.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

That's what I thought. It seems like AA has some more benefits for its lowest tier plus some decent earning abilities for low-revenue fliers
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Just to clarify here, BA Silver is more comparable to AA Plat than Gold due particularly to the lounge benefit. The BA lounge entitlement is especially valuable to US members since it can be used on domestic AA itineraries. Nevertheless, if your primary criteria is redemption value, specifically long-haul F/J, AAdvantage will be the long-run winner.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is nambrot original post in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Originally Posted by nambrot
Hi everyone love this thread as I was just about to decide which program to take:

Questions
For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: TXL, SXF, BER (at some point hopefully). BOS when im in the US
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
Reply: <25K
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ? ( First, Business, Economy etc.)
Reply: Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: only when neccessary, so I always fly cheapest
(5) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: transatlantic, some US domestic, German
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present? What is it? (AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: No
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: free benefits
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: AA, BA

I'm currently on BA's EC because I heard good things about Avios
If people could answer in the master sticky thread it would be better for all, but sadly the master thread get few responses.
Good to have some here in this new thread (will get merged eventually)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gerbs
Just to clarify here, BA Silver is more comparable to AA Plat than Gold due particularly to the lounge benefit. The BA lounge entitlement is especially valuable to US members since it can be used on domestic AA itineraries. Nevertheless, if your primary criteria is redemption value, specifically long-haul F/J, AAdvantage will be the long-run winner.
Sorry I meant BA Bronze. AFAIK, you need 60k miles for BA Silver compared to 25k for AA Gold?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by nambrot
Sorry I meant BA Bronze. AFAIK, you need 60k miles for BA Silver compared to 25k for AA Gold?
BA levels depend on 'tier points' rather than miles, 300 for bronze and 600 for silver. A single TATL round trip in J including a connection in London will get you bronze, 2 will get you silver in BA but will most likely leave you short of the respective AA tiers. More simply, BA status is easier to reach for the long-haul premium cabin traveler. OTOH, if your travel is mostly in Y, you're likely to be better off all around with AA.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gerbs
BA levels depend on 'tier points' rather than miles, 300 for bronze and 600 for silver. A single TATL round trip in J including a connection in London will get you bronze, 2 will get you silver in BA but will most likely leave you short of the respective AA tiers. More simply, BA status is easier to reach for the long-haul premium cabin traveler.
I already booked two roundtrips on Iberia, on discounted fares, meaning I will only get 150 TP for them, compared to full 15k miles for AA.

Im unfortunately not a premium cabin traveler, mostly have to go for the cheapest tickets, which is why I guess AA could be advantagous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.