Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

RTW x JNB.. Mindpearl will NO LONGER book tickets!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Just called AA agent in JNB to book my annual AONE5.. Was informed they NO LONGER accept RTW bookings and all bookings must be done online.. In fact their email address is no longer valid as well... What a shame as they were so very helpful in the past.. The online booking engine is, as many of you know, at times a hastle... anyone else have any suggestions? Thank you...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: QFF
Book via agents in Canada. If issued in Canada, you get the South African price converted to CAD.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is it just that they will no longer actually make the bookings only? Or will they also no longer take payment as well?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:08 am

Do you need/want to start in JNB? Or are you just looking for a cheap starting place? Bear in mind that an AONE5 from KRT is about US$4500 less than from JNB at the moment.
I just booked a DONE4 and an AONE3 from KRT for next year at amazing prices. Set up the itinerary with the AA RTW desk, who send it to Dallas now for pricing, since the Dublin office closed a few months ago. Emailed the PNR and my credit card info to a very efficient Canadian travel agent, (pm me for details) and it was ticketed a couple of hours later.
(The price quoted by Dallas was about US$200 less than the price quoted by the OW online tool, which, as usual, failed to ticket after I entered my cc info.)

Happy Travels.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by NDFan
Do you need/want to start in JNB? Or are you just looking for a cheap starting place? Bear in mind that an AONE5 from KRT is about US$4500 less than from JNB at the moment.
I just booked a DONE4 and an AONE3 from KRT for next year at amazing prices. Set up the itinerary with the AA RTW desk, who send it to Dallas now for pricing, since the Dublin office closed a few months ago. Emailed the PNR and my credit card info to a very efficient Canadian travel agent, (pm me for details) and it was ticketed a couple of hours later.
(The price quoted by Dallas was about US$200 less than the price quoted by the OW online tool, which, as usual, failed to ticket after I entered my cc info.)

Happy Travels.
Congratulations on the KRT xonex's. How about a post about your ex-Sudan bookings (routings, online tools failure to ticket, etc.) in the KRT thread to help others doing the same? Each datapoint should help others. Thanks.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...-khartoum.html

I know you posted about your online booking problems in this post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19175004-post224.html
But hearing about the successful resolution would be good too.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

I am actually looking to start from JNB.. but thank you...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I agree for most starting from JNB is far simpler than KRT..
(and this is from someone who has done KHI and CMB in the day)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: Aadvantage EP
RTW4:

Hi there, just read your message and left a bit confused. I have called the AA line for South Africa this week( the e-mail is no longer working), however, I was able to book a AONE6 fare for two of us with the agents and pay with my credit card without any hassle, the only difference was that I had to be billed in USD, which is still ok . It saved me US$ 16k !!. Checked with my bank and they confirmed it was fine to pay the USD amount. So all good!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jim757
RTW4:

Hi there, just read your message and left a bit confused. I have called the AA line for South Africa this week( the e-mail is no longer working), however, I was able to book a AONE6 fare for two of us with the agents and pay with my credit card without any hassle, the only difference was that I had to be billed in USD, which is still ok . It saved me US$ 16k !!. Checked with my bank and they confirmed it was fine to pay the USD amount. So all good!
But you will still be charged the out-of-country extra charge as the ticket is charged outside of USA.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Is it just that they will no longer actually make the bookings only? Or will they also no longer take payment as well?
Good question. I have done a few ex-JNB DONE4 trips, set up via AA RTW desk and issued via Mindpearl in South africa.

Originally Posted by NDFan
I am always looking for a cheap place to do a DONEx, and was intrigued to read of the amazing price on an ex-KRT AONE4. I'm scared of transiting KRT, but am considering it for 2014 (since 2013 trips are already issued), if the price remains attractive when 2014 can be booked.

Originally Posted by jim757
I have called the AA line for South Africa this week( the e-mail is no longer working), however, I was able to book a AONE6 fare for two of us with the agents and pay with my credit card without any hassle, the only difference was that I had to be billed in USD, which is still ok . It saved me US$ 16k !!. Checked with my bank and they confirmed it was fine to pay the USD amount. So all good!
Glad to hear that you were able to book and issue the ticket. Were you charged the S.A. fare, converted to USD? Who did the conversion (AA RTW, Mindpearl)?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: QF Lifetime Gold + more
Question DONE4/DGLOB34 routing question ex JNB

It's good to hear that booking ex-JNB is still possible via phone (from what I understand from the above posts). I assume the DONE4/DGLOB34 pricing is still 48,000 ZAR plus taxes?

I have a quick additional question and would appreciate any feedback - is it possible to fly from JNB to LHR and continue eastwards (i.e. either to Asia/SWP), onward to the Americas finally returning to JNB and still remain compliant with DONEX/DGLOB34 fare rules?

From what I can see the only way to get from the Americas to JNB on Oneworld is via Europe which I assume would breach the two intercontinental departure rule even if the second trip through Europe was only a transit.

Any thoughts appreciated..

PC
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Plane Crazy
I assume the DONE4/DGLOB34 pricing is still 48,000 ZAR plus taxes?
You assume correctly (according to KVS)

I have a quick additional question and would appreciate any feedback - is it possible to fly from JNB to LHR and continue eastwards (i.e. either to Asia/SWP), onward to the Americas finally returning to JNB and still remain compliant with DONEX/DGLOB34 fare rules?

From what I can see the only way to get from the Americas to JNB on Oneworld is via Europe which I assume would breach the two intercontinental departure rule even if the second trip through Europe was only a transit.

Any thoughts appreciated..

PC
Your thinking is correct. To get from the Americas to Africa you have to travel via Europe. And this will not be allowed (as it's a second visit to that continent) unless the one of the visits to Europe is a transit to/from one of the specified countries - namely Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya or Uganda

As you probably know already - if you start in Africa then you have to finish in Africa - anywhere in Africa. So you could finish in one of the above named countries, and then make your own way on to JNB

Alternatively, you could start say JNB-LVI or somewhere else serviced by BA's Comair subsidiary, make your own way to one of the named countries, and from there transit Europe on the way to Asia and then you can stopover in Europe after the Americas and finally fly down to JNB
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:31 am

Programs: QF Lifetime Gold + more
Thanks for the prompt reply pandaperth.

Would it be possible to fly from JNB to LHR (stopover) - Asia/SWP/Americas then fly the remaining sectors America-LHR-Ghana and just hop off in London and not fly the last flight?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Plane Crazy
Would it be possible to fly from JNB to LHR (stopover) - Asia/SWP/Americas then fly the remaining sectors America-LHR-Ghana and just hop off in London and not fly the last flight?
In a word "Yes"

Choose two flights that have a long transit in Europe - so that when checking in for the flights (in the Americas), it will not seem unreasonable to ask that your checked bags be tagged only to the European transit point
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But you will still be charged the out-of-country extra charge as the ticket is charged outside of USA.
You mean the credit card currency conversion charge? I'm now using AMEX PLT for most of my ex-USA charges, as that card is now free of that charge. Or is there some other charge to which you were referring?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.