Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Which is the best airline to speak to - booking a DONE4 ex JNB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:16 am
Original Poster

I have tried calling the different airlines, some don't know the rules ala BA and QF - so I phone back and then get people who know the rules but the taxes seem much higher.

I then go to the One World booking tool which prices the ticket much cheaper, but I can't get in a surface sector to get to my final flight.

Who is the best airline/person to phone?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:08 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Many people here have it ticketed through the AA GSA in South Africa:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/where...p&locale=es_ES
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:25 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by 747-444
I have tried calling the different airlines, some don't know the rules ala BA and QF - so I phone back and then get people who know the rules but the taxes seem much higher.

I then go to the One World booking tool which prices the ticket much cheaper, but I can't get in a surface sector to get to my final flight.

Who is the best airline/person to phone?
Why not put your proposed itinerary here and let's see why you can't get the online tool to do what you want?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747-444
Do you mean taxes or taxes and surcharges ?
Taxes should be the same for all carriers on the same route.
Surcharges vary with carrier. QF & BA have high fuel surcharges
Have not you done *ONE* ex RSA before?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
What is your proposed routing?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
GLOB34 ex-JNB - recent booking experience?

I have been research ex-JNB itinerary's using the OneWorld Explorer tool; but my potential itineraries include additional continents and would price out as either DONE5 or DONE6 using the tool. I can get my itineraries to validate and price online with the DONE5 and DONE6 rates ($5889 and $6889 respectively - confirmed by EF).

But... the same itinerary (when I finagle to just under 34k miles) should be able to price out as a DGLOB34 ($5114).

My question is one of booking - I've read as much as I can on the forum and I know that I need to call one of the airlines, but will I have trouble getting the ex-JNB rates since I am US based? I have read about some rules regarding pricing in the country of origin (although the online tool doesn't seem to care for XONEX)... and some about contacting either a travel agent in SA or Canada. I've done one DGLOB34 back in 2010 but that was starting in the US and most of what I have read specifically on booking is a few years old.

Any recent experience or advice?

Thanks.

Potential Itinerary: JNB-LHR-ORD-HKG-SGN-KUL-KUL-AKL-AKL-MEL-SYD-JNB
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cphurley
....... with the DONE5 and DONE6 rates ($5889 and $6889 respectively - confirmed by EF).

But... the same itinerary (when I finagle to just under 34k miles) should be able to price out as a DGLOB34 ($5114).

Potential Itinerary: JNB-LHR-ORD-HKG-SGN-KUL-KUL-AKL-AKL-MEL-SYD-JNB
My BOLD. Guess you had sticky keys on keyboard.

Assume your itin is as follow:
jnb-lhr-ord-hkg-sgn-kul-akl-mel-syd-jnb

milecalc gives 33,356 miles BIS

See if you can book the first flight as an AA codeshare (AA6446) op by BA. Next flight will be on AA metal to ORD. For that, I’d try to have AA issue ticket by calling Capetown office.

If it was me, I’d do a DONE5 for a few hundred bucks more to potentially accumulate up to 50K miles (or more) with a full 16-segment itin.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: QF WP
Mid last year I booked a DONE5...jnb-lhr-osl-lhr-zrh-lhr-mia-lir-dfw-jfk-hkg-mel-bne-mel-syd-jnb ex AA capetown...First called AA at their RTW desk and paid AA Capetown over the phone by CC no real hastles except I wanted to use AMEX and they couldnt handle the 4 digit security code as they only use 3 in SA....sorted it out eventually and ticket emailed a few hours later...my cost was about $85000 RAND incl.taxeswhich were quite steep...And I couldnt use the AA code share ex JNB as I wasnt continuing directly to the US...Hope this helps...Cheers

Last edited by pyffii; Jan 18, 2015 at 4:58 am Reason: wrong airport code
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but will I have trouble getting the ex-JNB rates since I am US based?
The rule is, you need to buy the ticket from a sales office in JNB (or elsewhere in South Africa). That should not be too hard of course.

If you try to buy the ticket from a JFK office they are obliged to charge the JFK fare even though you begin in JNB.

Code:
          WHEN TRAVEL ORIGINATES IN A COUNTRY FOR WHICH
          THE SPECIFIC LOCAL CURRENCY FARES IS PUBLISED AND
          THE TICKET IS SOLD IN ANOTHER COUNTRY THE FARE
          WILL BE THAT PUBLISHED FOR THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
          CONVERTED TO THE CURRENCY OF THE COUNTRY OF SALE
          AT THE BANK SELLING RATE.
          THE RESULTANT FARE MUST NOT BE LOWER THAN FROM
          THE COUNTRY OF SALE.
          EXCEPTION-
          NOT APPLICABLE WHEN BOTH TRAVEL ORIGINATES AND
          SALES ARE MADE WITHIN EUROPE.

Last edited by Calchas; Jan 18, 2015 at 9:03 am
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Agree with Allset2travel - try booking JNB-LHR-ORD as AA all the way, the BA surcharges will add considerably to your end fare.
If you can't get seats as AA, maybe also consider using QR JNB-DOH-ORD. This would probably push you out of the DGLOB34, but the reduction in taxes may lessen the end total with taxes.
If you do issue with either BA or QR you can issue the tickets through their offices in South Africa.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
The rule is, you need to buy the ticket from a sales office in JNB (or elsewhere in South Africa). That should not be too hard of course.
Any advice or experience specifically on booking in SA? I've never used a travel agent or ticketed outside of online or via AA in the U.S. Should I just google travel agencies in SA? Will they charge a fee - and if so, what's a normal fee range?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any advice or experience specifically on booking in SA? I've never used a travel agent or ticketed outside of online or via AA in the U.S. Should I just google travel agencies in SA? Will they charge a fee - and if so, what's a normal fee range?
May I suggest you try AA's recommended agent in South Africa?

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Many people here have it ticketed through the AA GSA in South Africa:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/where...p&locale=es_ES
They are heavily recommended on other round-the-world threads in this forum. However I cannot speak to that.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
May I suggest you try AA's recommended agent in South Africa?

They are heavily recommended on other round-the-world threads in this forum. However I cannot speak to that.
I came across that name but I also came across a few threads that said Mindpearl stopped ticketing/booking RTW tickets in this situation. That's part of the reason I reached out here... Because most of the information / threads are from a few years ago.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I came across that name but I also came across a few threads that said Mindpearl stopped ticketing/booking RTW tickets in this situation. That's part of the reason I reached out here... Because most of the information / threads are from a few years ago.
That report was mistaken. Mindpearl isn't willing to act as a travel agent and answer questions, etc, etc. You should set up the xonex with the AA rtw desk and then contact Mindpearl to book.
There are many reports of people successfully using Mindpearl to book in the last year. For example, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...-anyone-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22560677-post8.html
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:14 am

What about ex-CAI

Any recent booking experience or advice on similar route but starting with CAI-AMM-ORD instead of London? Would surely save on surcharges but it would take AA almost completely out of my itinerary and would start with RJ.

Would I still be able to setup with AA desk? And what about booking ex-CAI?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.