Search

Welcome LATAM... (LA/JJ to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Welcome LATAM... (LA/JJ to merge)

So what implications to LA's Oneworld alliance. Will JJ disappear from *A?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18560343

Chile's Lan and Brazil's Tam merge to create huge airline

Latam will be Latin America's biggest airline. Chile's Lan airline has completed a takeover of Brazil's Tam, creating the world's second largest airline by market value, to be known as Latam....
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Even though many of us believe that JJ will have to exit *A due to the ruling of Chilean government, the website still claims this to be undecided. However, choices are only between OW and *A, so definately not ST.

About the alliances status
Did you already decide with what alliance LATAM Airlines Group will stay (oneworld or Star Alliance)?

We are carefully evaluating this issue and hope to make a decision within the next months and within the deadline set by the authorities, which expires at the end of 2014, taking into account the alternative that offers the best benefits for the Group, its passengers and cargo customers.
http://www.latamairlinesgroup.net/ph...136&p=irol-faq
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Even though many of us believe that JJ will have to exit *A due to the ruling of Chilean government, the website still claims this to be undecided. However, choices are only between OW and *A, so definately not ST.

http://www.latamairlinesgroup.net/ph...136&p=irol-faq
They have to leave Star. Under the merger conditions, it is illegal for Tam to remain in Star. The choice is between JJ joining Oneworld or becoming independent.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Avianca-TACA joined Star Alliance the other day and a Chilean court said that the LATAM group may not be in the same alliance as them, so it's Oneworld, Syteam or unaffiliated for TAM.

Some reports suggest TAM may stay unaffiliated in order to keep many codeshares with Star members as well as Oneworld members, however TAM still could keep codesharing with some Star members even if they do join Oneworld.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat, PreCheck
In Folha de S. Paulo they quoted the LATAM chairman as admitting that TAM would leave Star. He also said that the choice was between OW and remaining independent. LAN would remain in OW. I saw further speculation on another industry website that TAM would use the possibility of independence to negotiate a deal with OW that would allow it to keep its codeshares with Star airlines even upon entering OW.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I didn't think OW stopped codeshares with other alliance members?

Pretty sure QF codeshares with China Eastern (skyteam) and Alitalia (skyteam)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Even though many of us believe that JJ will have to exit *A due to the ruling of Chilean government, the website still claims this to be undecided.
While the ultimate future is undecided for the TAM portion of the company (and possibly the LAN side, too), one thing which is certain is that within the next 24 months (from last Thursday) they will leave *A. Executives have acknowledged this need for TAM to leave Star Alliance as well. It is happening.

Codeshares exist outside of Alliance deals.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by moa999

QF has a codeshares with a number of Star and Sky members, in addition to codeshares with most oneworld members.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:31 am

Tam leaves star alliance!!!!!!!
http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/interna...alliance.shtml
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by moa999

Uh...I think QF codeshares with AF but not AZ. However, yeah, cross-alliance code-share are not so rare, not to even mention the CX+KA-CA JV between HKG and Mainland China. MX also joined OW while keeping its FFP partnership with LH and NZ.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
I don't see why TAM can't keep agreements with Star partners, if they make economic sense then they should keep them whilst also codesharing with Oneworld airlines.

Oneworld seem very liberal with cross-alliance codeshares, and cross alliance codeshares are very common in all alliances. Just because airlines belong to the same alliance doesn't mean they are obligated to coeshare with every alliance member and not co-operate with any airlines outside from the alliance.

Qantas and AF are good examples, QF would rather put their code on Air France flights rather than a codeshare with Cathay Pacific. In Star SQ doesn't co-operate with Thai, United, Aegean, Continental, Adria etc....
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kachjc
Best news I've heard all year

Sao Paulo will be the main international hub. LAN and its subsidiaries (Peru, Argentina, Colombia and Ecuador) "will feed" the international flights of TAM. This network will allow the launch of ten new flights by 2013.

"These are flights that are not justified without the feeder network of LAN," says Amaro.
Can I put LATAM flights GRU-CPT/JNB on the wishlist please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.