Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hey guys, any help appreciated as I feel like I'm not getting the best I can be getting at the minute...

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades, redemption rates and especially lounge access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
125,000 miles and 60 flights last year, all in economy (unless I get a good rate on premium economy)

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Business traveller, I can choose my airline within reason but class needs to be cheapest available

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
European short haul

(6) What is your home airport?
London Heathrow or Gatwick

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
British Airways Executive Club Silver, with 131,000 Avios to spend

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
British Airways
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
Howdy, just looking for some help on choosing a OW FFP to try for OWS or OWE. My status match with LATAM is coming to an end, and I really would like to keep having access to OW Lounges. If I could, I'd stick with LATAM, but I don't fly them and they have also introduced that ridiculous spend requirement. So with all humbleness, I ask for assistance!

Lounge access(!), upgrades, redemption for award miles

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Anywhere from 4-6 trips. typically 2 long-hauls and 3 medium/short-hauls. About 100K miles per year.

Economy, cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I can, but I am based in South Texas, so AA is my only OW option to get out. I can connect anywhere else though to a OW flight. Travel is a mix of both.

Transpacific, US Domestic

MFE, closest OW hub is Dallas, next largest airport is IAH.

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
UA 1K

Easiest one to get Sapphire or Emerald status that doesn't require that wretched minimum spend.

Thanks!
crfgon
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by crfgon
just looking for some help on choosing a OW FFP to try for OWS or OWE. My status match with LATAM is coming to an end, and I really would like to keep having access to OW Lounges. If I could, I'd stick with LATAM, but I don't fly them and they have also introduced that ridiculous spend requirement. So with all humbleness, I ask for assistance!
[...]
Easiest one to get Sapphire or Emerald status that doesn't require that wretched minimum spend.
Hmmm... the only good choice I can think of would be Finnair. The program remains distance-based and has no spend requirement, with even the cheapest booking classes earning full status-qualifying points e.g. on AA. (see earning tables: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/finnai...innair-flights). Don't scoff at the seemingly high thresholds for status qualification - like LAN/Latam, they use kilometers instead of miles for tier point earning purposes, so the 150k required for Platinum/Emerald actually are less than the 100k miles at most others.
However, at least four segments need to be Finnair-operated (codeshares on AA do not count), so you need to fly them at least a little bit. Try flying to Asia transatlantic via Helsinki once a year with them instead of transpacific - that should do the trick. Their economy cabin is actually very decent, especially for top tier members who get "economy comfort" for free (comparable to MCE on AA and E+ on UA).
In a rare move that's really good for customers, from next month onwards they'll switch to the AA/BA/QF model of points expiration - points will never expire as long as there's account activity once every 18 months.
I think that I`ll switch to them myself as well from next year now that AB is no more and I keep flying them more often now that they are the only dog-friendly OW airline left in Europe (BA is a nightmare in this regard). Depends on how AA keeps 'evolving' the spend thing. So far, I`ve been getting around the AAdvantage spend requirements by buying partner tickets and exploiting high-EQD-yield niches ("D" business fares on Finnair being one of those, discounted premium economy on AA/BA/CX and promo business fares on QR the other) - but all that doesn't help if you have to travel cheapest Economy.
crfgon likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Calculation_prospect
Hello! Here is the obligatory "Long(ish) time lurker, first time poster" introduction. I am travelling a lot for work these days and also love to travel in my own time, but as I get older, much like drinking, the all nighters in the last row middle next to the lavatories are ruining me for a week after, so I would love some advice as to which FF program would be the most economical for me in terms of accruing miles for upgrades, award flights and status. The basic facts:

1) My family is in America, partner's is in Ireland. We have relocated to the eastern Baltic (i.e. close to Finnair hub HEL) and have work colleagues and business still in the UK (London) and in Western Europe (Germany). I also have an ongoing work project in California -- this translates to 4 or more TATL flights back and forth for both work and personal this year.

2) I have the AMEX platinum which comes also with PP Select (although it seems all the PP lounges are the crap ones…or are heading in that direction…)

3) I am currently on the AA Platinum Challenge (which I'll complete in April) because it seemed to be the only one open to anyone who paid the fee (Delta, I believe requires you to have status on another alliance already to do the challenge) and I had some work flights on AA in January.

4) I have *A silver from a business flight on NZ last April and just realised I could reach Gold with one more PE roundtrip if I squeeze it in before April, but that’s unlikely to happen at a decent cost and I’m not sure how much I’ll fly *A in the next year so I figure if I make the decision to go to *A Gold I’ll go whole hog rather than have both statuses at the same time.

So, I have *O Sapphire from AA Plat, but with the trips upcoming (one of which ended up being a codeshare, which I wasn't meaning to do...oops) I am wondering if I should stick with AA and consolidate everything toward them (and not be able to use lounges in the US when I do fly domestic) or switch to AY once the challenge is up as all my feeder flights are on them, their mileage accrual rates are better for my upcoming TATLs on AA/BA/AY and trip to Japan on JL, their reward chard looks like a better deal...and there is no EQD requirement…

Any advice is appreciated!

Questions

For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:

Upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, better award access, free lounge access

25000-50000 probably this year, mostly economy with the occasional PE or B when I book for myself (optics are bad for work so that’s al Y)

Depends on the length. I’d rather go longer flight/Business to make the J fare worth it and cut down on potential problems, but more stops and Y are okay with lounge access.

Yes and up to PE for the really long ones. Mostly work but also some personal flights.

TATL and within Europe for work. EU - Asia for personal.

HEL will be our new home!

AA Platinum, NZ Silver which is about to revert to nothing…or if I squeeze in a PE roundtrip before April could have *A gold, but….not sure it’s worth it if I am focusing on flying *O this year.

AY/BA for the next year.
If you can make the EQD work, sticking with AA isn't a bad choice. As an Amex Plat cardholder, you have access to the centurion lounge network - those generally are regarded as nicer than AA Admirals clubs. There's 8 of them in the US so far, with two of them in AA hubs (DFW & PHL).
Seeing you fly lots on AY, program and airline are good (plus no EQD, and it remains purely distance-based), that's a very good alternative. Also, AY 'does' status matches. Contact them: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/finnair-plus-tier-match.
However, the redemption opportunities with AAdvantage are better (for example, no one-way partner awards with AY) and although points earning is good, awards are more expensive than with AAdvantage expensive (r/t TATL in business is 200k points vs. 115k with AA, even adjusted for km (AY) vs. miles (AA), it's more. AA has a vastly bigger non-oneworld partner network , too - with AY, you're basically limited to oneworld airlines plus Alaska and Icelandair, whereas with AAdvantage there's the likes of EY, TN etc...
Personally, I`d stay with AA if EQD isn't an issue and switch to AY if it is. Also look at BA - if you buy PE for longhauls, attaining status with their tier point system they have is pretty easy.
You will not get much in the way of upgrades with AA unless you make top tier (Executive Platinum) - then you'll get 4 systemwide upgrades good from Y to J on any fare (down from 8 two years ago, grrr....). Domestic upgrades even for EXPs are getting rarer, and you can basically forget about domestic upgrades as a Plat, at least on premium routes like NY-LAX/SFO. Int'l longhaul upgrades require cash-co-pays in addition to miles ($700 for a TATL return) - not very attractive.
AY offers upgrade awards (no co-pay, reasonably priced) and last-minute upgrades at a discounted price - you can pay with points for those, too. These are attractive, but only available starting 5 days prior to departure given available seats, so you cannot count on them. Also, they tend to sell more of their premium seats now that they're competitive in amenities and price (the old A340 had a huge premium cabin and getting upgraded was the norm, not so much on the A350 now)
The best program re:upgrades is BAEC - their AUP and POUG paths both are very useful and get you a better seat for little extra, especially PE -> business. Added perk: you earn (status-qualifying) tier points and Avios (award miles) according to the upgraded class of travel, not according to the original fare. No other airline does this. I'd seriously look into BAEC if your primary objective is (longhaul) upgrades.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Upgrades, good award redemption, non-PP lounges

Last year - 25k, 30 flights
This year - 50-75k, 30-60 flights
I travel a fair amount for work but a lot of it is short haul. I did do a few transcontinental US trips this year already along with a LAX-HKG trip

Economy

For work travel it's always economy. I travel a fair amount for work, I'm trying to leverage it to increase the level of my personal travel.

SAN-SJC (AS)
US Domestic, predominantly AA, but also AS
I probably did 8-10 SAN-SJC trips last year, mostly on AS

SAN

AA - Platinum from challenge, should be able to keep it until the end of the year at least (116k award miles)
AS - MVP from status match at the end of last year

AA or AS, I currently am on track to get higher status with AA this year

I currently have the following elite qualifying:
AA - 2k EQD, 28k EQM, 15 EQS
AS - 3.5k EQM, 6 EQS

I'm wondering if I should credit my AS travel to another OW partner since I can no longer credit it to AA. Per company policy, I have to do the least amount of legs if there's the option. AA doesn't do direct from SAN-SJC so I'm left with AS as the only option where I could potentially credit to another OW partner. I don't fly quite enough to get to AS MVP status if I'm also reaching for AA Plat Pro or higher.

Last edited by pandaX; Apr 9, 2018 at 11:49 pm Reason: formatting
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: QR platinum
Advice for MEL-based OWE flyer (economy)

Hi All, I would appreciate some advice on which FFP to focus on. To give some background info, I just flew enough to requalify for OWE with QR for the next 12 months, but I want to reassess if staying with their FPP makes sense.

I typically fly overseas from Australia 4-5 times a year (Europe/US/Asia) in Y (mostly for work, semi-restricted fares booked a few weeks in advance), plus QF domestic about once a month (QF domestic flights give no QR Qmiles/Qpoints, unfortunately). I gained QR Platinum due to a lucky combination of double Qpoints offers and a paid C EU-Japan RT in 2017, and requalified based on the 24 months activity this year. Being tall, my top priorities are getting access to extra legroom seats in Y, and upgrading LH flights (especially the 13+h ones). I fly QF domestic often, but their FFP does not seem very appealing to me, at least superficially. Is there any other OW program that would make more sense than QR for me?

Detailed answer to the standard questions is below. Thanks in advance for any insight/advice!

CASAFlyer

Responses to questions:

In priority order: Upgrading Y-->C for long-haul flights; Comfortable Y experience (extra legroom seats such as exit rows, seat-blocking); First class lounge access; Availability of awards in premium class.

80,000-100,000 miles: ~4 long-haul RT Australia to Europe/US; ~1 RT to Asia; Australia domestic RT once per month (mostly MEL-SYD/CBR).

Economy.

90% work-related travel with relative flexibility to pick the desired flights if pricing differential is not too significant.

MEL-Europe (Italy/Germany/UK); MEL-United States (East/West coast); QF domestic. I typically fly QR or CX to Europe, and AA/QF to the US.

MEL

QR Platinum, ~170k miles; 50k miles on UA MP (no status currently; legacy of my past activity as 1k member).

Fairly neutral, I had good success upgrading long-haul flights on QR so far, but I am not very happy regarding customer service (had to change a semi-flexible ticket recently after flowing the outbound and was a pain compared to other airlines), and a bit annoyed by enhancement of their lounge access policy for upgraded tickets. I like CX to Asia (& Europe if QR is not competitive for price/routing) given access to the great lounges.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
Hi All, I would appreciate some advice on which FFP to focus on. To give some background info, I just flew enough to requalify for OWE with QR for the next 12 months, but I want to reassess if staying with their FPP makes sense.

I typically fly overseas from Australia 4-5 times a year (Europe/US/Asia) in Y (mostly for work, semi-restricted fares booked a few weeks in advance), plus QF domestic about once a month (QF domestic flights give no QR Qmiles/Qpoints, unfortunately). I gained QR Platinum due to a lucky combination of double Qpoints offers and a paid C EU-Japan RT in 2017, and requalified based on the 24 months activity this year. Being tall, my top priorities are getting access to extra legroom seats in Y, and upgrading LH flights (especially the 13+h ones). I fly QF domestic often, but their FFP does not seem very appealing to me, at least superficially. Is there any other OW program that would make more sense than QR for me?

Detailed answer to the standard questions is below. Thanks in advance for any insight/advice!

CASAFlyer

Responses to questions:

In priority order: Upgrading Y-->C for long-haul flights; Comfortable Y experience (extra legroom seats such as exit rows, seat-blocking); First class lounge access; Availability of awards in premium class.
<snip>
Generally you are not going to get upgrades, with ff miles, unless you have ff miles/points with the airline you are flying. Status can help get up the queue.
IB/BA/AA have a cross airline upgrade scheme but needs expensive base economy fares, so useless for most people. But anyway given your routes unlikely to be of any use.

Lounges access comes with status or class of travel.
Better seats can be a benefit of status. However now many airlines do not give exit row seats without a $ fee. Or hope/ask for an exit row at checkin.

For QF flights not eligible for QR consider putting to QF or AA.
https://www.wheretocredit.com/QF.
With QF easy to get QF points from Au non-flying activities
Historically QF has been one of the easier OW ffp's to get mid-top status. But earn to burn/surcharges are poor for awards.

The main USA based ffp's are now revenue based.

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, ability to upgrade flights and possible operational upgrades. Non flying generally miles easier to get on a ffp from your county.

The grass in not always greener on the other side

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 22, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:11 pm

Hi all. Thanks for the help in advance.

I prefer oneworld but have been using Star Alliance more lately because of LM and limited airlines going to my home countries. Help will be appreciated in seeing if I can get back fully on board with OW

1) What is most important to you in a FFP?

Good award redemption

I make 3-4 trips a year between the USA and Africa and about that many within the United States(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Business internationally and typically not picky unless it's longer than 3 hours domestic and I can get a good business award

I choose my own(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Lagos LOS- Houston IAH or vice versa. Typically with Lufthansa, BA or Qatar.(6) What is your home airport?
Lagos LOS or Houston IAH. I spend equal time in both(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
No. Was BA silver but could never find good enough fares to justify keeping it. I loved the avios earned for use on US domestic flights though. I could easily get Qatar silver in one trip last time i credited teh miles to BA(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
I really like Qatar but 33hrs oooof. BA used to be the norm until I found lufthansa through LM
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:19 pm

Hi Mwenenzi,

Thanks for the feedback. I will take another look at QF FFT program, it superficially looked harder to reach OWE compared to QR given my flight pattern and fares, but maybe I am overlooking something. I agree that getting status on the airline you fly most is generally the best approach.

Best,

CASAFlyer
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
.... I agree that getting status on the airline you fly most is generally the best approach.
If upgrades with ff miles/points are the prime objective the only approach.
But upgrades are hard to get with any ffp.
Especially QF. The QF upgrade lottery where are winner are disclosed just before flying.

Always a question as to if upgrades or straight out long haul premium awards are the best value. Does vary by ffp. But if someone else is buying your tickets upgrades with your ff miles/points make the trip more pleasant.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
I recently did a comparison between getting OW emerald with QR as considering switching from BAEC.

similar to you I fly largely Y in discounted seats. Currently Sapphire but will make Gold this year, couple of personal short haul J tickets to help get over the line with BAEC.

ive attached my spreadsheet for you for comparison between my flying pattern if was QR or BA. Lower tiers very similar but Emerald seems much easier on Qatar so you likely want to do a similar comparison on your own flying patterns if status your primary driver as you may find you miss it with other OW partners.

people said to me that QR harder for redemptions but I don’t find BA easy and have a shedload or Avios with them.

i would say worth you looking into your pattern but beware that certainly from BA side it’s far harder to get Emerald and QR also give you a one and two year total to count towards your status which looks even better to retain it than others.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Worth also saying that since sapphire I’ve had 3 x BA Op Ups to Premium Economy from Economy and one Qatar Op Up to Busines from economy (since no Prem Economy in their cabins)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:21 am

One more thing as a highlight, I’d be emerald as of this week with QR, will be another two months to hit it with BA....
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by duncgor
I recently did a comparison between getting OW emerald with QR as considering switching from BAEC.

similar to you I fly largely Y in discounted seats. Currently Sapphire but will make Gold this year, couple of personal short haul J tickets to help get over the line with BAEC.

ive attached my spreadsheet for you for comparison between my flying pattern if was QR or BA. Lower tiers very similar but Emerald seems much easier on Qatar so you likely want to do a similar comparison on your own flying patterns if status your primary driver as you may find you miss it with other OW partners.
Thanks so much, this is super helpful! I never did anything near so systematic to optimize my flight activity (despite working as an academic in a quantitative field): Your data clearly highlight that QR is offering an easy path to OWE compared to BAEC (and QF as well based on an simpler order of magnitude estimate). Easy OWE with AA is gone as well given the spending requirements, which are hard to meet for primarily discounted-Y flyers.

Thus, reflecting on the excellent posts here and on my own experience, I think that overall QR PC still represents a good solution for my flight pattern. Redemptions might be poor value (not used QR miles for free flights yet as I still have UA miles that needs to be burned), but to compensate, I have never failed to clear a MEL-DOH-MEL upgrade (advance+at the airport), which is a huge plus for me as it makes going to Europe a much more pleasant experience than sitting in Y.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:47 am

No problem, glad I could help. It took a bit of pulling together but was worth the couple of hours when I did it recently. I was very surprised at the difference between Emerald in the two programmes, and also with QR once you have the status you have a lower retention threshold to keep it unlike BA which is straight back to the 1500 TP’s it took to earn it.

as I fly to Far East at least 3 times a year just now I don’t think I’d have a problem hitting the QR 4 flight Mark (I’m currently in EDI away to KUL via DOH) and this will be about my 8th QR flight in 12 months and only thing holding me back is potential move to US. If I do move there then no chance of keeping status as it’s not an AA hub. So looks like I’ll stick where I am just now and enjoy my BA Gold when I finally get there and see what happens....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.