Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cdubbyou
Thank you all for replying, and thanks for clarifying that Asia Miles is actually the same as Cathay's Asia Miles *embarrassed

@Mwenenzi: That looks like a really good link, Will do some night time reading. Most of the time, it will be Economy/Premium.

@correctioncx: QF and CX often have flights with similar prices. I will fly depending on which airline gives best bang for buck.

@123dd: I am relocating and will be based out of HK. WIll probably take up your suggestion and go with CX.

I am looking at the best value credit card to score asia miles. Any suggestions?
You are welcome.. Hope these information helps..

Just came to mind that LAN is another option for you, if you are switching between CX and QF all the time.. LAN gives 100% to all QF CX miles earning fares, plus LAN uses kms, not miles, so 60% more... And their short haul redemption is really good too...
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: Club Carlson, AAdvantage, Club Premier, LAN Pass
Do miles flown in LAN accrued in AAdvantage count toward status even though the flight is NOT operated by AA? How well recognized is the AA elite status in LAN flights? I do a lot of business flights through LAN but personal ones through AA, so I need to decide only for one.

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Yes they do, except for flights to/from Cuba. Although you'll earn only 25% on the most discounted economy fare classes. Find all info here:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...rlines/lan.jsp.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:56 pm
RDP

Programs: MPC Silver, and other baseline accounts.
Hello, it has been a very long time since I have been on the OW forum.... an old haunt.

Quick question:

I am flying CX J metal this weekend and I should put my miles towards a OW program. I used to be AA Platinum and have 120k Million Miler miles on them. I have nothing else in terms of OW FFP enrollment. Given that would AA still be a good place for me to put miles into for the point of the MM program? Any regular miles I get from this trip I will probably move into Aeroplan through Points.com or some convoluted Starwood swap.

The flight on CX is such a good deal (J for NRT-HKG-YYZ retun) at less than USD $3k that I will probably fly this route again but have no expectation that I will hit Sapphire or Emerald, so it's a toss up for either going to a program with some decent redemption options for the miles I earn from this trip or either going back to trusty AA and their MM program.

In OW at the current moment would it be worth looking into any programs that offer a status comp from *G ? I am *G with Aegean this year as I could not keep up my Aeroplan status qualification miles any more.

Thanks in advance,
RDP
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by RDP
I am flying CX J metal this weekend and I should put my miles towards a OW program. I used to be AA Platinum and have 120k Million Miler miles on them. I have nothing else in terms of OW FFP enrollment. Given that would AA still be a good place for me to put miles into for the point of the MM program? Any regular miles I get from this trip I will probably move into Aeroplan through Points.com or some convoluted Starwood swap.

The flight on CX is such a good deal (J for NRT-HKG-YYZ retun) at less than USD $3k that I will probably fly this route again but have no expectation that I will hit Sapphire or Emerald, so it's a toss up for either going to a program with some decent redemption options for the miles I earn from this trip or either going back to trusty AA and their MM program.
Since the one way is 9652 miles or thereabouts, a J round trip will give you 28956 EQP. Immediate Gold as long as AA continues to ignore the
4 AA flights rule. Two such flights in a calendar year would yield AA PLT. (Or CX Silver)

If I thought I were going to fly again this year, crediting to AA would be a good idea. If the calendar doesn't match your flights, consider CX. CX Silver has benefits in HKG worth considering.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:32 pm

(1) What is your home airport?
Reply: LAX
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
Reply: <25k Economy
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ? ( First, Business, Economy etc.)
Reply: Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes and Travel for pleasure
(5) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: Transpacific some US Domestic
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present? What is it? (AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: None
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: good award redemption rates
(8) Preferred Airlines none

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ppgugu
As you are in LAX American Airlines is by far the best choice on OneWorld.
Alaska is also worth looking at as they have many airline partners as here http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
Which airlines are will fly with ?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm Reason: added AS partners
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:37 pm

Mwenenzi
Thank you for the advice. I may fly with JAL or Cathy, would prefer EVA but they are not with OneWorld.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: Only QR Burgundy
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: RUH (DMM or JED also possible)
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
Reply: 30k to 40k (I could possibly get up to 50k)
Reply: Mostly Y, only J on special occasions or special offers
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: I can choose my airline as I only travel for pleasure
(5) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: RUH to Asia (mostly BKK), RUH to Europe (mostly MUC)
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present? What is it? (AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: QR Burgundy (might come in handy later when they join OW)
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Status, Lounge Access and extra baggage
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: CX, MH, BA

Currently working in Riyadh, therefore I decided to join OW, but I'm not sure which FFP is the right one for me. BA seems to be a good program, as I'm flying to Europe 1-2 a year (will be on BA metal) and the rest of the flights are to different destinations in Asia, mostly BKK or KUL.
I have a flight booked in J from JED to KUL to DPS return on MH in August and thought the best would be to credit the miles to BAEC. I also have a upcoming trip to MUC in November which would give me the 4 qualifying flights to archive Silver Status (flight will be in WTP).

What do you guys think, should I go with BAEC or try to get my miles on MH or CX?

Also since QR will join OW sooner or later, I might switch from BAEC to Qatar, as then I have 1 airline for all my travel, so I should get Gold pretty easy (even when flying MH in J instead of QR in Y).

Last edited by Dwight; Jul 14, 2013 at 3:22 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Remember that if you have BAEC you should also have IB+ since avios as you can easily transfer between the two. IB tends to give status easier and BA seems to be better on the avios, so which one you use to fly with would depend on that. Granted, the differences are relatively minor.

I have no status (working on it) but I generally stick with IB since I'll be at MAD long term. My experience with their customer service has generally been good, but I definitely know English can be an issue if you don't Spanish.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:40 pm

Questions
For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:
Reply: RDU
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) <50K,
Reply: usually <25k, occasionally 25-50k
Reply: Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Can choose airlines but usually not class of service. Travel for both work and pleasure.
Reply: US Domestic, recent Transpacific travel and hoping for more.
Reply: None. Entirely new to the idea of using FF miles.
Reply: Good award redemption rates, maybe free/discounted lounge access.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:

Last edited by LucyP; Jul 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold
PIT & PVG
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
25-50k in economy
discounted economy
for work
transpacific & us domestic
CX Asia Miles
good award redemption rates
(8) Preferred Airlines
CX & AA
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michaelyang510
6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present? What is it? (AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
CX Asia Miles
What wrong with Asia Miles ffp for you?
Some low $ fare CX marketed tickets will earn very little miles in the AA ffp
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What wrong with Asia Miles ffp for you?
Some low $ fare CX marketed tickets will earn very little miles in the AA ffp
yea I see
I just want to check if there's any better options, cuz sometimes you have to book redemption tickets a year before you fly in Asia Miles, or there would be no seats at all!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michaelyang510
yea I see
I just want to check if there's any better options, cuz sometimes you have to book redemption tickets a year before you fly in Asia Miles, or there would be no seats at all!
As home is SFO AA is only other options. But if you fly on CX flight numbers check if you can get AA miles. With AA you can get miles from credit cards and other non flying activities. Check the AA web site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.