Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page > DFW-PEK in June - Best OW options for J or F award

DFW-PEK in June - Best OW options for J or F award

Reply

Old Mar 26, 12, 8:47 am
  #1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 488
DFW-PEK in June - Best OW options for J or F award

I just found out that I'm posibly going to Xian, China in June (probably around June 7-16) flying into Beijing.

I am trying to find the best routing/points possible to fly in Business or First Class on a award seat. At first glance I'm not finding many options.

FWIW I have:
200K American
160K BA


I also have some miles with United and US Air if that alliance works out better and some Sapphire points that I could transfer if needed.

Thanks for any help!
nic3456 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 12, 10:20 am
  #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 26,080
Originally Posted by nic3456 View Post
I just found out that I'm posibly going to Xian, China in June (probably around June 7-16) flying into Beijing.

I am trying to find the best routing/points possible to fly in Business or First Class on a award seat. At first glance I'm not finding many options.

FWIW I have:
200K American
160K BA


I also have some miles with United and US Air if that alliance works out better and some Sapphire points that I could transfer if needed.

Thanks for any help!
I would advise you to use ba.com to check all CX gateways, starting with JFK (the easiest).

Short of that, LAX-PVG is usually a pretty easy redemption (though AA is a far cry from CX or JL in terms of service).

Last edited by moondog; Mar 26, 12 at 10:27 am
moondog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 12, 1:16 pm
  #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cambridge, MA or an aluminum tube at 30,000+ft.
Programs: AA-1MM, AS, US, BA, UA, AGR-Select
Posts: 1,103
Is DFW-ORD/JFK-AUH-PEK a valid award routing? If it is EY has a pretty sweet J class. EY offers F JFK-AUH but not between ORD-AUH or AUH-PEK...
bennytma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 12, 1:31 pm
  #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cambridge, MA or an aluminum tube at 30,000+ft.
Programs: AA-1MM, AS, US, BA, UA, AGR-Select
Posts: 1,103
Also, it would definitely not be the most comfortable ride but DFW-NRT-PEK on AA/JL but it would be the most direct.
bennytma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 12, 8:42 pm
  #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 19,213
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by bennytma
Is DFW-ORD/JFK-AUH-PEK a valid award routing? If it is EY has a pretty sweet J class. EY offers F JFK-AUH but not between ORD-AUH or AUH-PEK...
Not a valid routing (as a single award) with AA miles.
guv1976 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 12, 8:53 pm
  #6
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE & RMQ
Programs: CX MPO SL, IHG Plat, Emerald Club
Posts: 3,189
Originally Posted by nic3456 View Post
I just found out that I'm posibly going to Xian, China in June (probably around June 7-16) flying into Beijing.
FYI, KA (subsidary of CX and OW affilate) will resume XIY service in April, so you may want to fly to XIY directly instead.
ernestnywang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 12, 9:50 pm
  #7
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,858
Originally Posted by bennytma View Post
Is DFW-ORD/JFK-AUH-PEK a valid award routing?
The Middle East / Indian Subcontinent is not a valid connecting point for a North America -> Asia 2 "oneworld and other Airline" award using AA miles.
Austinrunner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 12, 9:48 am
  #8
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cambridge, MA or an aluminum tube at 30,000+ft.
Programs: AA-1MM, AS, US, BA, UA, AGR-Select
Posts: 1,103
Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
The Middle East / Indian Subcontinent is not a valid connecting point for a North America -> Asia 2 "oneworld and other Airline" award using AA miles.
Thats what I'd thought but not what I'd hoped!
bennytma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 12, 8:33 am
  #9
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP 4.28 MM & LT PLT, QR PLT, SPG PLT 100 and LT GLD
Posts: 9,703
Originally Posted by bennytma View Post
Is DFW-ORD/JFK-AUH-PEK a valid award routing?
US-Asia awards must be TPAC. Interestingly, when you check KVS for OW award availability, you often see connections through LHR; but you can't actually get them because it would violate the TPAC requirement.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 12, 1:24 pm
  #10
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oakland, California, USA
Programs: AA EXP,AL MVPG,UA Pr Plat,LH,SQ,SPG Plat,HH Gold,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Fairmont
Posts: 9,802
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
FYI, KA (subsidary of CX and OW affilate) will resume XIY service in April, so you may want to fly to XIY directly instead.
If you don't need to fly via Beijing, this would seem best since CX F is the most enjoyable way to go. You'd fly AA to SFO, LAX or ORD, then CX to HKG, then KA (aka Dragon Air) to XIY. Otherwise you could fly as far as Beijing on that AA, CX and KA combo, and then hop a domestic paid flight to XIY.

I suspect that redeeming your AA miles will cost you less in extra fees than doing it with BA (now renamed Avios) miles. The only reason to redeem your Avios miles is that it costs far more to redeem them for flights to/via LHR and possibly other parts of Europe, so you might want to put them to use now.

CX award availability comes and goes. You might want to join awardnexus.com both to search for award availability (whether via CX, AA or JL) and to sign up for email alerts to let you know if the award flights you want open up.

Good luck!
Thunderroad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 12, 3:16 am
  #11
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX DM A3 Gold
Posts: 1,102
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
If you don't need to fly via Beijing, this would seem best since CX F is the most enjoyable way to go. You'd fly AA to SFO, LAX or ORD, then CX to HKG, then KA (aka Dragon Air) to XIY. Otherwise you could fly as far as Beijing on that AA, CX and KA combo, and then hop a domestic paid flight to XIY.
CX F seems to be easily ahead of BA and AA - I have no direct experience as all my long haul F is only on CX. But if there are no KA flights to Xian, then going to HKG and on to PEK isn't worth it - best go direct to PEK via NRT.
KACommuter is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:13 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.