Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover at ARN/BRU/AMS, what is the best in OW-loungewise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Stopover at ARN/BRU/AMS, what is the best in OW-loungewise

Yes, I'm about to take a business trip and it would seem that I essentially have three options for a stop-over, either fly through Arlanda, Brussels or Amsterdam. All the flights will be on OW (AY/IB) and I have BA silver card i.e. OW Sapphire.
All the options are equally okay in terms of flight times, price etc. so the only "real" question is what airport has the best lounges to visit I've grown accustomed to the hot food at LHR-Galleries (as I'll be flying economy and the sandwich served on the flight doesn't last for long), but I reckon such "luxury" is not served on any of those non-OW-hub-airports but still, if you would have to choose, what airport&what lounge you would use on my position.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The BA lounges in BRU & AMS are rather basic. Nothing like T5 Galleries, for sure. BRU winning with a nose over AMS. ARN's lounge, run by Menzies is large, but yet more basic.

Are those three really all your options? Making a stopover choice only from lounge options I'd look for FRA or ZRH. Adding hotel and restaurant aspects; ZRH wins over FRA.

Happy Travel!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onobond
The BA lounges in BRU & AMS are rather basic. Nothing like T5 Galleries, for sure. BRU winning with a nose over AMS. ARN's lounge, run by Menzies is large, but yet more basic.

Are those three really all your options? Making a stopover choice only from lounge options I'd look for FRA or ZRH. Adding hotel and restaurant aspects; ZRH wins over FRA.

Happy Travel!
Thanks for the info, FRA is actually a possibility, yet as this is a work trip, I should someone convince other people (I'm travelling with a co-worker, hence my OW status will help us both) why I'm actually travelling via FRA as the overall flight time would then increase by 1,5 hours...

But based on that info I'll go with BRU, or maybe I should check the flight times again and if the flight to and ex-FRA would be shorter, that could actually be excuse worth trying Moneywise its all the same.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Thanks for the info, FRA is actually a possibility, yet as this is a work trip, I should someone convince other people (I'm travelling with a co-worker, hence my OW status will help us both) why I'm actually travelling via FRA as the overall flight time would then increase by 1,5 hours...

But based on that info I'll go with BRU, or maybe I should check the flight times again and if the flight to and ex-FRA would be shorter, that could actually be excuse worth trying Moneywise its all the same.
Is your destination LHR? From HEL consider other alternatives:
CDG. AA lounge rather basic, but spacy. Better wine/alcohol than many other EU AA lounges
MUC. Haven't been to the BA lounge for many years, might fit in your schedule.

Do let us know what you choose, and how it all turned out...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Well, just a minor update:
Actually ended up to going through FRA and loungewise visited two lounges:
Iberia lounge on Schengen-side, the only Ow-lounge there. Pretty much basic, no real food, some snacks and varied drinks.

Then we headed to non-Schengen side, the transition can take even 30 mins so maybe not the best option when in hurry, in our case it didn't take more than 15 mins. Cx lounge would have served lunch at 12:00, but we were too early, breakfast assortion looked okay though, sandwiches were good etc.

So in all, FRA isn't really a good place for OW transfer within Europe if one wants to use lounge benefits to compensate for the lack of food served on the flights (i.e. one easily misses lunch completely when taking these transfers).
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

A bit late but the BRU lounge is in the Galleries T5/T3 style ( smaller than LHR) whilst the AMS lounge is still in the older Terraces style.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

A bit late but the BRU lounge is in the Galleries T5/T3 style ( smaller than LHR) whilst the AMS lounge is still in the older Terraces style.

Regards

TBS
Yes, see post #2 above. I also prefer BRU over AMS.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by onobond
Yes, see post #2 above. I also prefer BRU over AMS.
Hi,

Sorry.

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.