Cathay DMs vs OW Emeralds with Cathay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQTPP*G OZ LDMP*G QF LGold OW KE MC Sky E CI Emer Sky + IHG Spire Bonvoy Titanium

Dear Flyers,

I created this New Thread to compare OW Emeralds and Cathay DMs, as most of us know that Cathay DMs (OW Emerald) is one of the hardest to make compared to its oneworld partners.

I am wondering besides the posted/published differences on the Marco Polo guidelines such as 2 pax to F lounge etc etc. What other differences on ground and in air between OWE and DMs?

As an Emerald, I am always in J with cathay so hearing stories such as priority meal order, greeting by last name with Cathay DM pax in Y does this happen for Emeralds too in Y?

Other Emerald experiences in F/J/Y on Cathay thats worth sharing?

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Best for you to ask this over at the CX forum..

The main thing is that CX Diamonds get guaranteed seat availability in J class, and in any mileage earning economy fares up to 24 hours travel.
- One may allow to be waitlisted for awards.
- No ticketing deadline for revenue or award tickets.
- Meals might be given to DM members over everyone else.
- You get the free buggy transfer

If you're in Y, you do get greeted by the pursers even as a OW emerald too. But preference for meals and requests are given to DM members over OW emerald.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Best for you to ask this over at the CX forum...
He has: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ds-cathay.html
A post there was to ask here !
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:38 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Since this thread regards comparisons between Oneworld FFPs, I'll leave it alone for the time being. Such comparisons are useful IMO.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQTPP*G OZ LDMP*G QF LGold OW KE MC Sky E CI Emer Sky + IHG Spire Bonvoy Titanium
Hey you guys,

thanks for your replies and help! This is a very interesting thread to get into but the major problem is we are only able to get SOLID info from individuals that carry both CX DM and OW Emerald status!

Flyertalk to help me decide... around 60% of my OW travels are on CX and I am really debating if I should give up my QF Plat and try for CX DM. It will be a pretty big investment. If there isnt much differences ill just keep my annual cathay Gold.. I could say Cathay Gold wait list clears before OW Emeralds. status.

Your help is much appreciated thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
CX treats me much better as a LAN Emerald than LAN does. I was stuck in Y for a RT LAX-HKG trip (all others since have been in J or F). Although the flight was almost completely full, the girl at check in blocked the two seats next to me, giving me three across (lots of dirty looks from other passengers who were squeezed together). I was also greeted by name, given a bottle of water and first choice for meals. However, if I were you, I would go for CX Diamond if you can obtain it.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
I'm not sure what the qualification requirements are for CX DM, but perhaps the new QF platinum 1 status is as hard to acquire (essentially 3x the basic emerald requirement, with over 2/3's of that required to be on QF metal).

IMO, the best benefit is that any revenue seat (QF metal) will be made available for award redemption at basic award redemption rates. Some freebies and other benefits as well.

cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.