Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change/Clarification of oneword elite tier lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Change/Clarification of oneword elite tier lounge access

Inspired by the thread started by serfty, I noticed that, in the latest revision of the oneworld web site, the lounge policy now seems to allow any guest for elite member. The language of requiring the guest to depart on an Oneworld flight has disappeared. It now states, for elite members:

Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge.
Compared to the guest allowance for first class passengers:

Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. (First Class passengers may be accompanied by one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline).
This is the old language, as previously posted on the forum:

Emerald: When travelling on any of the oneworld member airlines, any customer who has earned Emerald tier status, is welcome (with one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline) at any oneworld airlines' pre-flight lounges, including First Class, Business Class and frequent flyer lounges regardless of the class they are travelling in.

Sapphire: When travelling on any oneworld member airline, any customer with Sapphire tier status is welcome (with one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline) at any oneworld airlines' pre-flight Business Class and frequent flyer lounges regardless of class of travel.
Does anyone have any experience on whether this language change now allows non-OW guests to enter the lounge?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:01 am

Programs: QF WP
I'm not sure if that is really the case, although when I entered The Pier in HK as a Sapphire with my friend, I simply said that we were together, and they let us through without checking my friend's BP.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There is another change that I have only just noticed. See here: (Lounge access - oneworld)
oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world as an equivalent oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer member. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire status can use any lounge offered by any oneworld airline when departing on any flight marketed or operated by any oneworld member airline, no matter in which cabin class they are flying. ...
It is now stating "marketed or operated". It used to state "operated and marketed"; see here:
Lounge Access by Tier Status

Emerald: When travelling on any of the oneworld member airlines, any customer who has earned Emerald tier status, is welcome (with one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline) at any oneworld airlines' pre-flight lounges, including First Class, Business Class and frequent flyer lounges regardless of the class they are travelling in.

Sapphire: When travelling on any oneworld member airline, any customer with Sapphire tier status is welcome (with one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline) at any oneworld airlines' pre-flight Business Class and frequent flyer lounges regardless of class of travel.
Qantas and AA both contradict this "marketed or operated":
Admirals Club ( R ) Lounge Access
Originally Posted by AA.com
Credentials required: oneworld customers must be departing on a oneworld operated and marketed flight and, produce government-issued photo identification and, an Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer membership card or, a First or Business Class boarding pass for the journey's international segment on the same day or before 6:00 a.m. the following day. Stopovers are not permitted. ...
oneworld Airlines Member (Qantas lounge access)
Originally Posted by Qantas.com
oneworld Airlines Member (Qantas lounge access)Next onward flight that day must be on a oneworld operated and marketed flight. One guest allowed.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
That was short lived ...

It would seem the wording on the page has changed again, and it is now marketed and operated.

In fact it is even more specific than it had been:
oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world as an equivalent oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer member. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire status can use any lounge offered by any oneworld airline when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline*, no matter in which cabin class they are flying.

(* oneworld flights do not include codeshare flights with non-oneworld airlines, even those marketed by a oneworld Member but operated by a non-oneworld carrier or those operated by a oneworld Member but marketed by a non-oneworld carrier)

• Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • As an Emerald or Sapphire member, your lounge access is regardless of which cabin you are flying in.
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge.
One thing that seems to have slipped is that there is no longer any mention of guests needing to be travelling oneworld flight number and carrier.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
It would seem the wording on the page has changed again, and it is now marketed and operated.

In fact it is even more specific than it had been:One thing that seems to have slipped is that there is no longer any mention of guests needing to be travelling oneworld flight number and carrier.
Interesting change of language, again.

I wonder what's behind all the changes? While lounge access policy can be quite complicated in some special cases, the previous language was already quite clear about having oneworld flight number and metal. I wonder what cause the change to "or" and subsequent revert to "and".
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond
Can anybody report whether they have been able to get a non-OW guest in when your own entrance was based on tier status?

The wording does seem to be explicitly different on http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge.

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class travellers
  • First Class passengers may be accompanied by one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:03 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
I just made AA EXP but the card got sent to my US address and I won't have it for my upcoming trip. I have my AA PLT card though.

Do I need to show the physical card -- Will I be able to use CX and JL F lounges with either purchased Y or Y award ticket (on OW airlines of course)?

Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:40 am
Suspended

I actually got stop before at the QF f class lounge as my guest was travelling on mU although on a QF code. But luckily as a CX dm I am entitled to bring 2 guest irrespective of what airline the guest is travelling on so the CX cso called and allowed my guest to go in
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by swy
I just made AA EXP but the card got sent to my US address and I won't have it for my upcoming trip. I have my AA PLT card though.

Do I need to show the physical card -- Will I be able to use CX and JL F lounges with either purchased Y or Y award ticket (on OW airlines of course)?

Thanks!
Depending on when you got the new status and if it has updated through to other OW members systems yet, the new status should be printed on the boarding pass.
If they ask for your card, show them the one you have, tell them you don't have the new one yet and they'll scan it through the computer.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:26 am
swy

Originally Posted by Himeno
Depending on when you got the new status and if it has updated through to other OW members systems yet, the new status should be printed on the boarding pass.
If they ask for your card, show them the one you have, tell them you don't have the new one yet and they'll scan it through the computer.
Thanks! It would be about ~2 months between when I crossed EXP and my next flights, so hopefully that's enough time.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by swy

Thanks!
Originally Posted by swy
Thanks! It would be about ~2 months between when I crossed EXP and my next flights, so hopefully that's enough time.
Sometimes you need to ask the airlines to remove and re-add your FF number so the new status can be reflected.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:50 am
swy

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Sometimes you need to ask the airlines to remove and re-add your FF number so the new status can be reflected.
(follow-up) I have an award flight on Dragonair. I called Asiamiles (Chicago) to make sure they have me as oneworld emerald so that I can use the F lounge, etc. I told the agent that I am "oneworld emerald." The agent repeated after me "oneworld emerald" and sounded confused. I told him I am oneworld emerald through AA executive platinum and he sounded more confused. So I asked him to confirm that I can use the first class lounge and he told me that I can't. I asked him a few more questions and eventually he put me on hold, came back after a couple of minutes, and told me that I can use the first class arrival lounge. I asked him what about the departure lounge? He answered no, while sounding like he's reading off some printout.

sigh... I imagine it will probably work out at the airport, but still...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:35 am

Call the airline directly which operates your flight. Have them check that you FF # is in the system. Your status is there in the booking.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by swy
(follow-up) I have an award flight on Dragonair. I called Asiamiles (Chicago) to make sure they have me as oneworld emerald so that I can use the F lounge, etc. I told the agent that I am "oneworld emerald." The agent repeated after me "oneworld emerald" and sounded confused. I told him I am oneworld emerald through AA executive platinum and he sounded more confused. So I asked him to confirm that I can use the first class lounge and he told me that I can't. I asked him a few more questions and eventually he put me on hold, came back after a couple of minutes, and told me that I can use the first class arrival lounge. I asked him what about the departure lounge? He answered no, while sounding like he's reading off some printout.

sigh... I imagine it will probably work out at the airport, but still...
1. AM does not have an office in CHI, and AM does not handle anyone but CX members. If you called the AM hotline and you chose English you may very well had a Filipino agent, who is likely less experienced.
2. I would suggest you to call CX reservation to see if your EMD status is reflected.
3. You will be able to use both the F departure lounge and the arrival lounge (if arriving at HKG).
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:47 pm
swy

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
1. AM does not have an office in CHI, and AM does not handle anyone but CX members. If you called the AM hotline and you chose English you may very well had a Filipino agent, who is likely less experienced.
2. I would suggest you to call CX reservation to see if your EMD status is reflected.
3. You will be able to use both the F departure lounge and the arrival lounge (if arriving at HKG).
(follow-up) The lounge issue was a non-issue once I got to the airport.

(not sure if I should hijack the thread here) However, my Asia Miles account didn't have middle name, while my passport did, and the first group of agents wouldn't issue me a boarding pass. Instead, they asked me to call Asia Miles to have them add my middle name on the ticket. I spent like an hour but couldn't reach anyone (a combination of my cell phone/SIM issue, Skype weirdness, sucky airport phones, sucky Asia Miles phone services...). Eventually I went back to the desk, and a different set of agent helped me to call Asia Miles and they couldn't get it resolved either, but they were willing to check me in and there were no problem at the passport control at all. It's kind of frustrating and I was lucky that I got to the airport really early...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.