Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Which FFP offers the fastest path to oneworld Sapphire?

Old Aug 23, 11, 8:59 am
Original Poster

I mostly fly economy class on British Airways.
LHR-SIN/KUL are the furthest routes that I travel few times a year. I do take Qantas.
Old Aug 24, 11, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
This is not a straightforward question. You need to provide more information.

What are your usual routes, what fare class (not just cabin) are you often travelling? Other than LHR-SIN/KUL, what other routes to do you take? What carriers other than BA/QF are you likely to take?

In general however:

- If you mainly travel in economy, AA is generally considered best, but this is not always the case.

- If you mainly travel in F or J, QF is possibly the answer (although it is arguably the worst in Y).

If going just using the small amount of information you have already provided, my gut feel is AA.
Old Aug 26, 11, 2:22 am
Original Poster

I usually fly from London/Manchester to CDG, FRA, SIN, HKG and KUL. Besides BA/QF, I fly MH, CX, LH, SQ, TG. Mostly in economy though.
Old Aug 26, 11, 3:40 am

Flyer Question

Not wanting to Hijack this thread but I asked on the Star alliance thread and got unsurprisingly Star Alliance answers. Can anyone help me with the following (apologies for the cross posting if you read both threads).

I've just moved jobs and looks like I'll be doing a lot more travel to the far east. Not really been taking my current flyer memberships seriously so need some advice. What scheme will get me quickest access to silver level?

(1) What is your home airport? EDI or GLA (so can change various places eg LHR, LGW, CDG, AMS)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Premium Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? approx 50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? not anything worth writing home about.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often GLA or EDI->Taiwan, Korea and Japan 4 or 5 trips a year total. GLA or EDI -> LHR 4 or 5 trips a year, GLA or EDI to STR couple of times a year.
(7) Preferred Airlines Something with decent premium economy to Asia
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work, choice at the moment is economy or premium economy but should be allowed some business class travel from next year (assume not for now).

The star alliance guys recommended Turkish Airlines, Aegean Airlines and Thai Airways but I wasn't sure if I would be better with BA or CX or Korean. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 26, 11, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by morrison1984 View Post
Not wanting to Hijack this thread but I asked on the Star alliance thread and got unsurprisingly Star Alliance answers. Can anyone help me with the following (apologies for the cross posting if you read both threads).

I've just moved jobs and looks like I'll be doing a lot more travel to the far east. Not really been taking my current flyer memberships seriously so need some advice. What scheme will get me quickest access to silver level?

(1) What is your home airport? EDI or GLA (so can change various places eg LHR, LGW, CDG, AMS)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Premium Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? approx 50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? not anything worth writing home about.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often GLA or EDI->Taiwan, Korea and Japan 4 or 5 trips a year total. GLA or EDI -> LHR 4 or 5 trips a year, GLA or EDI to STR couple of times a year.
(7) Preferred Airlines Something with decent premium economy to Asia
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work, choice at the moment is economy or premium economy but should be allowed some business class travel from next year (assume not for now).

The star alliance guys recommended Turkish Airlines, Aegean Airlines and Thai Airways but I wasn't sure if I would be better with BA or CX or Korean. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
I would go with British Airways or Thai Airways here. I would probably go with BA here if you can do all your longhaul trips in premium economy. The 4 trips to Asia in premium economy will net you 760 TP and BA Silver/oneworld saphire. If you later are able to change that to 5 trips in business, then that would earn you 1600 TP and BA Gold/oneworld emerald.

BA is really easy to earn lounge access if you fly longhaul premium economy or above. And BA miles are not that good for redemptions, but provide excellent value for upgrades which seems to be what you are looking for.

Last edited by dcAA; Aug 26, 11 at 8:02 am
Old Aug 26, 11, 8:51 am

If I convert my tesco clubcard points to miles and upgrade from Premium to Club World do I earn tier miles on the flight at club world rate? I have a couple of hundred pounds of clubcard vouchers that aren't doing very much at the moment.
Old Aug 26, 11, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by morrison1984 View Post
If I convert my tesco clubcard points to miles and upgrade from Premium to Club World do I earn tier miles on the flight at club world rate? I have a couple of hundred pounds of clubcard vouchers that aren't doing very much at the moment.
I can't find the specific clause on the BA web site, but every FFP that I know of will only let you earn at the booking class rate when you upgrade with miles or some other free instrument.
Old Aug 29, 11, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by neonone View Post
I usually fly from London/Manchester to CDG, FRA, SIN, HKG and KUL. Besides BA/QF, I fly MH, CX, LH, SQ, TG. Mostly in economy though.
If you can get 4 earning segments a year on QF flight numbers (or JQ/3K/VF) then a quick trip across the ditch, say to SJU or even LAS can enable you to earn enough additional "status credits" with a well planned AA "instant Upgrade" fare at a cost of less then 1300.
Old Sep 7, 11, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Cathay - Diamond
If OP does 5 trips a year to asia that close on 90K the maths dont add up

Search this Thread
Search Engine: