Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER
If I belong to two OW airlines but one of its tier is higher than than the other (A>B), If I buy a ticket in B, can I use OW benefits that's entitled to be as a higher tier A customer?
Yes, you can use whichever membership number you'd like. If wanting to credit to and use the benefits of the membership that has the higher status, just add that one to the booking, and leave the other one out.

If you want to credit to one programme but use the benefits of another, then add the membership number you want to credit to, and be prepared to show the membership card with the higher status when necessary.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about the oneworld Alliance. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about oneworld you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Ambassadors will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers.

We're all glad you are here.
...? Why is it so difficult to ask "did I win something and if so how do I redeem it?"
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:25 am
POG

BA/Oneworld Tier point run 20 needed

Hi all,

Myself and other half did some bad maths and have ended up 20 points short on BA tier points. We are both Gold and need the points before 11th November. We live in Devon so looked at flights out of Bristol but those BA flights don't seem to work back to back or even over night (please correct me if I'm wrong).

It seems the train to LHR is our easiest and cheapest starting point but which flight to get? We are happy to overnight somewhere - Manchester seemed a good option but on closer inspection flight times did not seem to work....and then it got pricey.

It has to be on a weekend. Any ideas are very welcome.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by POG
Hi all,

Myself and other half did some bad maths and have ended up 20 points short on BA tier points. We are both Gold and need the points before 11th November. We live in Devon so looked at flights out of Bristol but those BA flights don't seem to work back to back or even over night (please correct me if I'm wrong).

It seems the train to LHR is our easiest and cheapest starting point but which flight to get? We are happy to overnight somewhere - Manchester seemed a good option but on closer inspection flight times did not seem to work....and then it got pricey.

It has to be on a weekend. Any ideas are very welcome.
Have a look at the cheap fare finder. There should be a cheap Saturday night away from LHR or LGW which you can find and which would earn 20 TPs in total - as you may know avoid the cheapest selling classes Q, O, or G as they only earn 5 TPs per flight, Another option as there is a sale on atm is book one way in CE and the other in ET. It will earn more than you need but may be better value.

For a day return have a look at the airports which easily allow back to backs (see the back to back thread linked to in the dashboard on the BAEC board for more detail). The usual ones which immidiately spring to mind as being easy an tending to offer cheap fares are LBA, NCL, EDI, GLA, INV, ABZ, AMS, CPH, BRU, JER, and LUX.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:10 am
POG

Thank you Karfa. This is great...there is a perfect AMS back to back as per your suggestion. I hadn't even thought about out with CE and back with ET. Phew! Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Iberia Plus, BAEC
Question Newcomer doubt

This is my very first time in FT so pls. excuse if I do something wrong or post in the wrong place.

I would like to learn how do I "add" the miles between the cities for a Visit Europe Pass from OW. For instance if I look at Finnair they propose/suggest Prague, Oslo, Copenhagen, Moscow for Zone 3 (400-899) costing 115 euros. If I go to gcmap and ask the calculation of these 3 legs it adds to 2017 which is much more than the allowed 899 . I need to understand so that I can try with different cities to see what suits me best.

Please excuse it if sounds like a silly question but I tried real hard to ask the Latam people over here in Brazil but either they simply don't know!

Thank you all very much
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Advice Needed: Moving from ATL to KUL: One World

I fly primarily with Cathay right now. Maintaining Marco Polo Silver / OW Ruby and enjoying lounges / upgrades / priority status with other airlines. Got two business class uprades on my last flight to Delhi on CX and loved it. Big Chase UR guy; earn about 500,000 points/year. Have Personal and Bix Reserve cards.

I am from ATL but plan to do 9 months / year living in KUL. 3-4 flights home to ATL / year. Business connections in HK 3x/yr via either LA or KUL. Lots of flights to India, Thailand, Lao, Cambodia.

I like Qatar and CX but want to choose the best mileage program.

I fly economy and premium economy usually but really want lounge access.

Should I stay with CX or QR / AA / BA instead?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Daniel Solid Welcome to FT ^

Originally Posted by Daniel Solid
I fly primarily with Cathay right now. Maintaining Marco Polo Silver / OW Ruby and enjoying lounges / upgrades / priority status with other airlines. Got two business class upgrades on my last flight to Delhi on CX and loved it. Big Chase UR guy; earn about 500,000 points/year. Have Personal and Bix Reserve cards.

I am from ATL but plan to do 9 months / year living in KUL. 3-4 flights home to ATL / year. Business connections in HK 3x/yr via either LA or KUL. Lots of flights to India, Thailand, Lao, Cambodia.

I like Qatar and CX but want to choose the best mileage program.

I fly economy and premium economy usually but really want lounge access.

Should I stay with CX or QR / AA / BA instead?
What is your criteria for best? [Unlikely to be the same as mine or others]
The airline you fly and the airline ffp you credit to does not need to be the same.
QR is not considered a good ffp, even by many of those who fly QR.
To me your choice is CX or AA ffp.

How long will you be in KUL? A short time (few months/years) or for ever?

Lounge access comes with mid tier status or travel in business/first class (an exception for AA ff on USA domestic flights)

Look here. Oneworld:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Not really a newbie anymore, but this is a basic question -

I need to earn 20 more points in order to renew Silver, will be at DFW in November with access to many AA short (read "low cost") flight destinations. I can book on AA.com and credit to BA, or call BA to see if they can book, but which is the best/correct way? I'm thinking I need to book it as a BA flight for best earnings, right?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
I need to earn 20 more points in order to renew Silver, will be at DFW in November with access to many AA short (read "low cost") flight destinations. I can book on AA.com and credit to BA, or call BA to see if they can book, but which is the best/correct way? I'm thinking I need to book it as a BA flight for best earnings, right?
Book on aa.com and add your BAEC ff number. Earning is based on the fare class as on the BAEC web site
You will not be able to book a BA marketed AA operated standalone USA domestic flight.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Unhappy

nevermind

Last edited by LCSinTexas; Oct 26, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really a newbie anymore, but this is a basic question -

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Book on aa.com and add your BAEC ff number. Earning is based on the fare class as on the BAEC web site
You will not be able to book a BA marketed AA operated standalone USA domestic flight.
Here is where I get stuck. Booking on AA.com, I only have 3 booking codes "B" Basic Economy, "O" Main Cabin, and "D" Business class. Looks like if I buy the cheap seats I don't get any Tier Points (no "B" class on the below template), Main Cabin only gets me 5 TPs, and if I splurge and go with "Business" class I get 40 TPs.

Is my understanding correct?

A question for the BA (avois) forum:-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/
Your question on TP status earning on AA flights has been asked before
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum
Hello fellow travellers,

I hope this thread is the right one to post in I am a long time lurker in the BA Section but this time I would really appreciate your help.
I switched status from airberlin Gold (OW Sapphire) to BA Silver and got 60k Avios on my household account right now plus 20k something MR Amex Points. Usually my travels have been very straightforward to one destination, but next year I plan on visiting BKK and HKG and I am somewhat stuck on my plannings. Also I have always been flying economy but want to fly in Business for this trip. I also would like to book within Oneworld to get Tierpoints and Avios.

I plan on travelling late September 19, returning in late October, staying 2 weeks in BKK and the rest in HKG. I thought about buying one-way to BKK, then redeem BKK - HKG on avios and back from HKG to TXL with a paid ticket, but this has proven to be too expensive. Around 3.000 €.
I considered booking BER - HKG and then go directly to BKK on a second ticket and back to HKG two weeks later, both inter-asia-flights done on avios. The Prices I've seen range around 1.700 € and 70 € for the avios flights. I would consider this is quite okay?

Right now I am far too confused to think of any other way of flying this, so I would kindly ask for your help and insights. Am I missing something? Is there a way this could be done better? Are there any sweet spots I have not considered?

Thanks in advance for your help
Rai

Last edited by Raijin; Nov 13, 2018 at 1:22 am Reason: added infos
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
One world availability/ticketing with AA miles

Newbie here. I am trying to travel from SIN-PEK in April 2019 using AA Miles. I have tried booking engines of AA. BA , as well as Quantus. Looks like 17,500 miles. Options include CX and MH, so it seems. Any other airline options? Now, how do I search availability and book travel? Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by cagcag
Newbie here. I am trying to travel from SIN-PEK in April 2019 using AA Miles. I have tried booking engines of AA. BA , as well as Quantas. Looks like 17,500 miles. Options include CX and MH, so it seems. Any other airline options? Now, how do I search availability and book travel? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.