Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:16 pm

Struggling to search for Oneworld options

I'm new to booking international travel within Oneworld. I've been only domestic to date. I'm going to be doing DSM to AMD 4x per year. I want to do the entire trip with Oneworld partners. I'll have to travel economy. I'm struggling with the right place to search for and book this travel.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the AA website does not show any 2-stop options for DSM to AMD. It only shows 3-stop options. Even for flights involving QR, it shows only DSM - ORD - LHR - DOH - AMD that I can find.

However, on QR's website, it shows 2-stop options that are DSM - ORD - DOH - AMD. Then I've tried the Oneworld flight search and it only shows 1 option for DSM - AMD which is DSM - DFW - DOH - AMD - a flight that neither AA's or QR's website shows. Google Flights show no Oneworld options for DSM - AMD at all. Expedia seems to show all of the options.

Why am I getting such different results? What is the recommended method of seeing the most choices / fares for Oneworld international and booking it? I need the miles to end up in my AA account and count towards my AA status.

Last question, for economy, is QR a good choice for this route? My main priority is comfort, as much as possible in economy.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
By all means use whichever airline website that provides you with the best routing/pricing outcome. Simply put your airline and frequent flyer number in place as part of the ticketing process.

Having said that you need to have completed your homework on what fare classes (in economy) will properly credit to your desired program. There are a couple of serious "gotchas" (eg. anything below H class on CX does not earn on AA) As well google flights might very well present alternative flight options that you might not have considered. Consider starting from ORD and paying for DSM-ORD separately.

I don't remember any serious issues with QR when I flew DOH-HKG in the Y cabin.... I'll have more experience with QR's Y cabin in a couple of weeks. :-(

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Consider starting from ORD and paying for DSM-ORD separately.
Do note that you will likely not be able to through check your bag and have to pay bag fee separately if the bookings are in 2 PNRs (especially for outbound).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:56 am

Thank you for the tip on ensuring that the fare class properly credits my AAdvantage account. On the AA partner section of the website, I see that there is a very reduced mile chart for any economy class less than Y. But then I'm confused by this note "Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Qatar will earn AAdvantage® award miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) according to the American mileage accrual chart."

When I search ORD - DOH on the AA website and use the "American Airlines" filter for the flights, it shows me no options. If I search for ORD - DEL or ORD - BOM then it does show me flights on BA through LHR. Both flights have an AA flight number and say "Operated by British Airways." So in that case, it seems like it meets the requirement to get full AA miles credit instead of the drastically reduced mileage credit if they were BA-ticketed and marketed flights. Am I catching on to how this works? Does this mean that there is no QR flights that are ticketed and marketed as an AA flight, so no way to earn full AA mileage credit flying QR?

It seems like the only way that I can do this and get the most flights with the most AA credit is to book RT DSM - ORD, RT ORD -BOM and RT BOM-AMD as separate tickets. Am I asking for trouble by doing that in BOM?

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
By all means use whichever airline website that provides you with the best routing/pricing outcome. Simply put your airline and frequent flyer number in place as part of the ticketing process.

Having said that you need to have completed your homework on what fare classes (in economy) will properly credit to your desired program. There are a couple of serious "gotchas" (eg. anything below H class on CX does not earn on AA) As well google flights might very well present alternative flight options that you might not have considered. Consider starting from ORD and paying for DSM-ORD separately.

I don't remember any serious issues with QR when I flew DOH-HKG in the Y cabin.... I'll have more experience with QR's Y cabin in a couple of weeks. :-(

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jeffcarp
Thank you for the tip on ensuring that the fare class properly credits my AAdvantage account. On the AA partner section of the website, I see that there is a very reduced mile chart for any economy class less than Y. But then I'm confused by this note "Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Qatar will earn AAdvantage® award miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) according to the American mileage accrual chart."

When I search ORD - DOH on the AA website and use the "American Airlines" filter for the flights, it shows me no options. If I search for ORD - DEL or ORD - BOM then it does show me flights on BA through LHR. Both flights have an AA flight number and say "Operated by British Airways." So in that case, it seems like it meets the requirement to get full AA miles credit instead of the drastically reduced mileage credit if they were BA-ticketed and marketed flights. Am I catching on to how this works? Does this mean that there is no QR flights that are ticketed and marketed as an AA flight, so no way to earn full AA mileage credit flying QR?

It seems like the only way that I can do this and get the most flights with the most AA credit is to book RT DSM - ORD, RT ORD -BOM and RT BOM-AMD as separate tickets. Am I asking for trouble by doing that in BOM?
1. If you buy a ticket from AA.com, it is an AA-ticketed (technical term: issued, or plated on AA) ticket (ticket no. starts with 001). If it has an AA-code and the ticket is issued by AA, it earns according to the AA table, whether it is operated by AA, BA, QR, etc. If you buy somewhere else, then it depends.
2. I believe AA will cut most if not all code-shares on QR metals eff. 25MAR so I think it would be quite unlikely to fly QR miles and earn according to the AA table afterwards.
3. As QR is the only oneworld carrier serving AMD and after the end of this month there is no more one-stop solution on AA code to fly from DSM to DOH, I believe it is true that if you want to stick with AA code as much as possible you would need to transit three times on the way to AMD.
4. If you were to buy separate tickets I strongly urge you to find a traditional travel agent who can put all flights under one PNR so bags can be through checked and there is some (though not guaranteed) protection in case there's a misconnection.

EDIT: Realised one thing. As BA is suspending operation to DOH from 25MAR to 30JUN, there is no AA-code option even to DOH. If you buy a ticket to BOM and take a separate flight to AMD, it will not be a oneworld flight.

Last edited by ernestnywang; Mar 4, 2018 at 11:05 am
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:27 am

I was able to find the below itinerary but not on AA.com. You might need to look for an OTA or a traditional TA who can issue this. Sure, it involves 3 transits each way, but get you pretty close to AMD on AA code. You can even earn a little bit of RDM on the EY flight.

Code:
 1 AA3999O 10APR 2 DSMORD*SS1  1425  1546  /DCAA /E             
OPERATED BY ENVOY AIR AS AMERICAN EAGLE                         
 2 AA  86O 10APR 2 ORDLHR*SS1  1700  0650   11APR 3 /DCAA /E    
 3 AA6661O 11APR 3 LHRDEL*SS1  1015  2325  /DCAA /E             
OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS                                     
 4 AI  19T 12APR 4 DELAMD SS1  0500  0630  /DCAI /E             
 5 EY 227V 17APR 2 AMDAUH SS1  2130  2310  /DCEY /E             
 6 AA6684Q 18APR 3 AUHLHR*SS1  0150  0630  /DCAA /E             
OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS                                     
 7 AA  47Q 18APR 3 LHRORD*SS1  0840  1120  /DCAA /E             
 8 AA5478Q 18APR 3 ORDDSM*SS1  1330  1445  /DCAA /E             
OPERATED BY PSA AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE                      
WPMUSD«                                                         
PSGR TYPE  ADT - 01                                             
     CXR RES DATE  FARE BASIS      NVB   NVA    BG              
 DSM                                                            
XCHI AA  O   10APR OLE7F3G1        10APR 10APR 01P              
XLON AA  O   10APR OLE7F3G1        10APR 10APR 01P              
XDEL AA  O   11APR OLE7F3G1        11APR 11APR 01P              
 AMD AI  T   12APR QLN7MZN9        12APR 12APR 01P              
XAUH EY  V   17APR QLN7MZN9        17APR 17APR 01P              
XLON AA  Q   18APR QLN7MZN9        18APR 18APR 01P              
XCHI AA  Q   18APR QLN7MZN9        18APR 18APR 01P              
 DSM AA  Q   18APR QLN7MZN9        18APR 18APR 01P              
FARE  USD    579.00                                             
TAX   USD     36.60US USD      5.65YC USD    645.26XT           
TOTAL USD   1266.51                                             
ADT-01  OLE7F3G1 QLN7MZN9                                       
 DSM AA X/CHI AA X/LON AA DEL M209.50AI AMD EY X/AUH AA X/LON   
 AA X/CHI AA DSM M DSMAMD319.50 1S50.00NUC579.00END ROE1.00     
XT USD7.00XY USD3.96XA USD11.20AY USD93.00UB USD6.10WO          
XT USD7.50IN USD1.40ZR USD9.50F6 USD501.10YR USD4.50XFORD4.5    
ENDOS*SEG1/2/3*NONREF/FEE ON CHANGE                             
ENDOS*SEG4/5/6/7/8*NONREF AFTER DEPARTURE/RESTRICTIONS APPLY    
TKT/TL06MAR18/2359                                              
ATTN*VALIDATING CARRIER - AA                                   ‡
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:37 am

Appreciate that input. This route doesn't seem easy in Oneworld. I may need to go Star Alliance where the entire itinerary is bookable at UA.com. I can even book AMD to VTZ on UA which I also have to do on these same trips.

I guess the big decision is do I want to go Oneworld to LHR and split the trip to BOM in half or go direct ORD to BOM on Star Alliance. I've got to do BOM to AMD on either alliance. I'm leading towards Star Alliance at this point where everything up to BOM is UA and one less stop.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
I'm flying an AA marketed, but BA flight (DFW-LHR) on Friday.

I believe that I must check-in with BA and use the BA ticket counters in terminal D to check my luggage --- is that correct?

Assuming that is correct, when do the BA ticket counters open in terminal D?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
I'm flying an AA marketed, but BA flight (DFW-LHR) on Friday.

I believe that I must check-in with BA and use the BA ticket counters in terminal D to check my luggage --- is that correct?

Assuming that is correct, when do the BA ticket counters open in terminal D?
1. Yes
2. No idea. But check-in opening 3hrs before flight is common.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
2. No idea. But check-in opening 3hrs before flight is common.
I asked DFW Twitter and they said "no idea", ask BA

I asked BA Twitter and their very specific response was 2-3 hours before departure

I've sent a follow-up asking if BA Twitter can nail down an actual ticket agent opening time, which I assume they have. I might just give up and actually use the phone (gasp) and call.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Red face

Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
I asked DFW Twitter and they said "no idea", ask BA

I asked BA Twitter and their very specific response was 2-3 hours before departure

I've sent a follow-up asking if BA Twitter can nail down an actual ticket agent opening time, which I assume they have. I might just give up and actually use the phone (gasp) and call.
I usually check in 2.5 hrs before departure and they always seem to have been open a while before that. I think 3hrs before should be just right.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Newbie- Using aeroplan on Star Alliance Partners- can I book directly?

HI All
I am trying to find First class /business class flights to South Pacific (Australia/New Zealand/ Fiji...) Aeroplan searchs are not productive.
I did sign up for ANA and found flights under the Star Alliance section.
Can I book flights via ANA using my Aeroplan?
or do I call Aeroplan and say that ANA has seats available for points??
How does this work when I find point seats available on Star Alliance partner websites??
Sorry for the silly question. I am trying to figure out how to do better searches on partner airlines.

Thanks for your patience!
N:-)
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Nicole Cormier
HI All
I am trying to find First class /business class flights to South Pacific (Australia/New Zealand/ Fiji...) Aeroplan searchs are not productive.
or do I call Aeroplan and say that ANA has seats available for points??
How does this work when I find point seats available on Star Alliance partner websites??
Sorry for the silly question. I am trying to figure out how to do better searches on partner airlines.

Thanks for your patience!
N:-)
Welcome to FlyerTalk Nicole

This forum is to do with the Oneworld Alliance
But your questions are concerning the Star Alliance
And so they are probably better asked in the Star Alliance forum
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nicole Cormier
I am trying to find First class /business class flights to South Pacific (Australia/New Zealand/ Fiji...) Aeroplan searches are not productive.
Or do I call Aeroplan and say that ANA has seats available for points??
Questions about use of Aeroplan ff miles best asked in Air Canada forum. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-aeroplan-375/
When using AC ff miles you deal only with Air Canada/Aeroplan.

Premium cabin awards USA/Canada to/from Australia NZ South Pacific are very hard to find. Need to flexible with route, date & destination/arrival cities.

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia (not from all airports to all airports)
  • American Airlines AA (LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
  • Air Canada AC (YYR – SYD, BNE, MEL 1 Dec 2017 to 1 Feb 2018) [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO IAH YVR via AKL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX via Tahiti. Last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
  • Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ (LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL ADL via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA (HNL – BNE SYD) (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ JQ (HNL – SYD BNE)
  • Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK DFW HNL YVR*– BNE SYD MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) (MEL SFO from 1st Sept 2018) {* seasonal}
  • United UA (LAX SFO IAH*– SYD MEL, IAH-SYD ) [Star Alliance] (*IAH-SYD from 18 Jan 2018)
  • Virgin Australia VA (LAX – BNE SYD MEL) (codeshares with AC*) (Delta & AC** partner) [*= some routes in 2017, ** ffp late 2017(may not have happened)]
And others via Asia & Middle East

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 7, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks Guys!
I will post in the correct forum next time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.