Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:30 pm

I normally fly with Srilankan airways when I go from London Heathrow to Colombo and usually get 6207 miles but on the flight I did last week I only got 3104. I have always flown in N, O & Q class but have never received a 50% reduction in miles before.

Has there been some sort of change when it comes to how miles are earned?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 7bp3u
I normally fly with Srilankan airways when I go from London Heathrow to Colombo and usually get 6207 miles but on the flight I did last week I only got 3104. I have always flown in N, O & Q class but have never received a 50% reduction in miles before.

Has there been some sort of change when it comes to how miles are earned?
What ffp & status?
LHR CMB great circle map 5418 miles
A guide Where to Credit | Where to Credit SriLankan Airlines Flights
http://www.wheretocredit.com/srilankan-airlines/n
http://www.wheretocredit.com/srilankan-airlines/o
http://www.wheretocredit.com/srilankan-airlines/q
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:53 am

I'm with Srilankan's frequent flyer program and have sapphire status.

I've checked all my previous tickets and all of them have been in the same classes but I still received 100% of the miles, it's just that this time I received only 50%. When I checked the booking class site it says that I should be getting 50% but until now why have I been getting 100%?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Please can somebody clarify how status matching within the One World Alliance works?

I am currently BA silver, and will be gold following a QR flight OSL - MEL in J early next year. Do I need to apply for the equivalent OW status, or is it granted automatically? When I booked the QR flight I'm certain that I saw silver on the web site (which I assume they got from BA)
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Agent69
Do I need to apply for the equivalent OW status, or is it granted automatically?
It happens automatically
Your current Silver level gives you Oneworld Sapphire, and
your future Gold gives you Oneworld Emerald

Your status will be recognised across the airlines in the alliance, giving you the benefits listed here
Just make sure you enter your BAEC membership number when making bookings, and it will all happen automatically

When I booked the QR flight I'm certain that I saw silver on the web site (which I assume they got from BA)
I expect you did - you would have had your BAEC number in the booking, and it was recognised by QR
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by 7bp3u
I'm with Srilankan's frequent flyer program and have sapphire status.

I've checked all my previous tickets and all of them have been in the same classes but I still received 100% of the miles, it's just that this time I received only 50%. When I checked the booking class site it says that I should be getting 50% but until now why have I been getting 100%?
It would appear that FlySmiles updated their earning levels on 15 Sep 17.
The difference in the great circle distance and the earning distance may be attributable to the 15% bonus on UL flights you earn as a OW Sapphire with UL.

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
It would appear that FlySmiles updated their earning levels on 15 Sep 17.
The difference in the great circle distance and the earning distance may be attributable to the 15% bonus on UL flights you earn as a OW Sapphire with UL.

Happy wandering
Fred

Oh, that is a real shame.

Thank you for letting me know.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth
It happens automatically
Your current Silver level gives you Oneworld Sapphire, and
your future Gold gives you Oneworld Emerald
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Agent69
Please can somebody clarify how status matching within the One World Alliance works?

I am currently BA silver, and will be gold following a QR flight OSL - MEL in J early next year. Do I need to apply for the equivalent OW status, or is it granted automatically? When I booked the QR flight I'm certain that I saw silver on the web site (which I assume they got from BA)
You are probably using the term "status match" incorrectly here. "Status match" refers to gaining élite status with another programme straight away without the required requalification because you already have status with another airline. This is something that needs application and is less frequently granted within alliance.

What you want, I and others believe, is to have your BA silver (Sapphire) status recognised by other oneworld carriers, which will happen automatically. This does not mean, though, that QR will give you all the benefits it gives to its own Sapphire-tiered members. QR will only give you the benefits that are standard across oneworld.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
CX MR trip to MLE

Hi all,
thanks for all the great things you do for us newbies. I wish I found you 18 years ago when I started this. I'm like a 40-year-old MLB rookie. Sorry if this question is in the wrong place but I've looked around, maybe unsuccessfully, and wasn't able to easily determine the right place. I welcome any direction.
Anyhow, I'm EP and have been for a bit. I decided I wanted it again. So, I booked an MR for the wife and me to MLE.
Here's the itin: JFK-YVR-HKG-MLE-HKG-EWR in I, R, I, I, and R, all on CX with CX flight numbers.
GCMap says it's 22,859 miles - Great Circle Mapper.
Wheretocredit is showing 25,601 - https://goo.gl/diBLB3.

My calculations show 34,293 EQMs and $4,992 EQDs.
If I've read aa.com correctly, EQMs for R and I are 1.5x mileage and EQDs are 20% for R and 25% for I.
I'm absolutely confident that wheretocredit knows more than I do. Can anyone help me understand the gap?
Sorry for the simple question but I've been scratching my head on this. I'm also confident that I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Whodunit68; Dec 10, 2017 at 9:03 am
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:00 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Whodunit68
Hi all,
thanks for all the great things you do for us newbies. I wish I found you 18 years ago when I started this. I'm like a 40-year-old MLB rookie. Sorry if this question is in the wrong place but I've looked around, maybe unsuccessfully, and wasn't able to easily determine the right place. I welcome any direction.
Anyhow, I'm EP and have been for a bit. I decided I wanted it again. So, I booked an MR for the wife and me to MLE.
Here's the itin: JFK-YVR-HKG-MLE-HKG-EWR in I, R, I, I, and R, all on CX with CX flight numbers.
GCMap says it's 22,859 miles - Great Circle Mapper.
Wheretocredit is showing 25,601 - https://goo.gl/diBLB3.

My calculations show 34,293 EQMs and $4,992 EQDs.
If I've read aa.com correctly, EQMs for R and I are 1.5x mileage and EQDs are 20% for R and 25% for I.
I'm absolutely confident that wheretocredit knows more than I do. Can anyone help me understand the gap?
Sorry for the simple question but I've been scratching my head on this. I'm also confident that I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance.
This is the "newbie" thread so I'm going to ignore FT's rule against cross-posting and recommend you re-post this on the AA board, preferably the "newbies" thread there - [2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) . The AA mods may move it, but it belongs on the AA board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
This is the "newbie" thread so I'm going to ignore FT's rule against cross-posting and recommend you re-post this on the AA board, preferably the "newbies" thread there - [2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) . The AA mods may move it, but it belongs on the AA board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
I will do so. Since I'm flying CX, I posted in Newbie OW. I do understand your recommendation since I'm asking an AAdvantage question.
thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:05 pm

Question AA/Oneworld from East coast US to Shenzen SZX?

Ok, I have platinum status on AA.

I'm getting a chance to go to Shenzen and get the points going there. I can fly business - so the flight will be (semi) comfortable....

BUT WAIT - it seems like I can't get AA/Oneworld to fly to Shenzen?

I can fly out of PHL, BWI, NWK - any idea of what I should do?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by filmgeek
Ok, I have platinum status on AA.
I'm getting a chance to go to Shenzen and get the points going there. I can fly business - so the flight will be (semi) comfortable....
BUT WAIT - it seems like I can't get AA/Oneworld to fly to Shenzen?
I can fly out of PHL, BWI, NWK - any idea of what I should do?
Educated guess that NWK is EWR?
You can fly to PVG, PEK, TYO (NRT or HND) or any of the dozens of SE Asia cities that OW does fly to and take a hop on someone who does go there. It's a 3 hour hop on Air China, China Southern, or Hainan to SZX. Example (I don't know your dates or preferences and this isn't business class but should give you the idea), go to: Matrix - ITA Software by Google.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Shenzhen is about 25 miles from Hong Kong Airport
And there is a very good ferry service directly from the airport to Shenzhen
AA, and lots of other OW carriers, fly in HKG

At HKG you would not go through immigration and customs; instead just purchase a ticket and get on the ferry to Shenzhen, which is before immigration

The ferry company will collect your checked baggage for you and get it on the ferry

More information here - Transport - Transport Connection with Mainland China - Ferry Transfer - Cross Boundary Ferry Transfer Service at a Glance - Hong Kong International Airport
LCSinTexas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.