Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by typical
I believe so (assume you mean DXB to MEL?). The language on the BA site is:

- if it has a QR code and is operated by EK as a codeshare, you should get credited.
Assume you mean "has a QF code..."
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Assume you mean "has a QF code..."
Yep. Was having a side conversation about Qatar and mixed then up Thanks for flagging, have edited post.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEXEC Silver
Originally Posted by typical
Yep. Was having a side conversation about Qatar and mixed then up Thanks for flagging, have edited post.
Thank you for your help, I appreciate!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I've read through some threads and rule sheets and still confused about DONE fares and routing. I'll be in JNB/CPT so thought this would be a good place to start. Ideally I would like to make stops in (Europe) Spain and Greece; (Asia) Malaysia and Vietnam; (NA) SEA and then return to JNB.

I tried routing CPT-JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-KUL-SEA-LON-JNB-CPT and get an error on the SEA-LON-JNB flights (<24 hrs in LON). It seems the only routing that works if I include SA and replace LON with GRU but this adds a continent. Prices out to 130,000ZAR or ~9,000usd.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:50 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I've read through some threads and rule sheets and still confused about DONE fares and routing. I'll be in JNB/CPT so thought this would be a good place to start. Ideally I would like to make stops in (Europe) Spain and Greece; (Asia) Malaysia and Vietnam; (NA) SEA and then return to JNB.

I tried routing CPT-JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-KUL-SEA-LON-JNB-CPT and get an error on the SEA-LON-JNB flights (<24 hrs in LON). It seems the only routing that works if I include SA and replace LON with GRU but this adds a continent. Prices out to 130,000ZAR or ~9,000usd.

Any suggestions?
It's because you're entering Europe twice on an itinerary that includes South Africa.

A second entry/transit in Europe is subject to this rule:
Two (entries) permitted in Europe/Middle East for travel to/from/via Africa. If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa.
Try originating in Mozambique (MPM) instead of South Africa (much cheaper with recent price increases ex-SA) with an itinerary like this - MPM-xDOH-MAD-ATH-LHR-KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA-JFK-xDOH-MPM - and see if you can make it work. Note Qatar is the only Oneworld carrier serving MPM, and ticketing through QR is its own adventure. You might try ticketing through the AA RTW desk; you'll probably help things along by using AA between HKG and LAX so they have some overwater skin in the game.

The "Europe second entry" issue has been perplexing users of this product for years. Don't feel like the lone trooper.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
It's because you're entering Europe twice on an itinerary that includes South Africa.

Try originating in Mozambique (MPM) instead of South Africa (much cheaper with recent price increases ex-SA) with an itinerary like this - MPM-xDOH-MAD-ATH-LHR-KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA-JFK-xDOH-MPM - and see if you can make it work. Note Qatar is the only Oneworld carrier serving MPM, and ticketing through QR is its own adventure. You might try ticketing through the AA RTW desk; you'll probably help things along by using AA between HKG and LAX so they have some overwater skin in the game.

The "Europe second entry" issue has been perplexing users of this product for years. Don't feel like the lone trooper.
When using that routing the second DOH results in this message: "100: You may have only one intercontinental departure and arrival in each continent. Change your route or your flight choice."
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: QFF
When using that routing the second DOH results in this message: "100: You may have only one intercontinental departure and arrival in each continent. Change your route or your flight choice."
The online booking tool is very buggy. There are cases where a 2nd entry into NA, EU/ME or Asia are allowed when one entry is a transfer to another continent. The tool doesn't do well for anything other then the most basic of routes. Best to book through a travel agent or an airline RTW desk (such as the AA desk).
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:37 am

Thanks for the help. I finally got one to price: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN-SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB for 116,500 ZAR or ~8,000usd. Seem about right? The only AA segment in SEA-LAX. Would it be better to use them to HKG to access the AA RTW desk?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:47 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I finally got one to price: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN-SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB
To make that valid I assume you mean: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN//SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB ?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by christep
To make that valid I assume you mean: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN//SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB ?
Yes.

When I try to start in MPM I get flights to MAD but error message for any flight after that (the same flights that priced with the JNB ITN).
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:39 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Yes.

When I try to start in MPM I get flights to MAD but error message for any flight after that (the same flights that priced with the JNB ITN).
I'm not sure when they went up, but Expert Flyer now says that ex-MPM DONE4s price out US$140 more than ex-South Africa, so that window is now closed and there's no point in fussing with Mozambique.

US$8K sounds about right given taxes and fees on top of the base $7055 fare.

For what it's worth, for the moment starting in Oslo is only $100 more in base fare than starting in South Africa. It looks like other "cheap" origin countries, including Japan, have seen recent price increases, possibly reducing their usefulness as alternative start points. In your case it might be cheaper to start the RTW ticket in Norway rather than Africa, as the ultimate return to the US (after the RTW) might be cheaper than returning all the way from southern Africa. For example, your route could be modified to OSL-LHR-ATH-MAD-JFK-SEA-LAX-HKG-SGN/HAN-KUL-HKG-JNB-DOH-OSL or OSL-DOH-JNB-HKG-SGN/HAN-KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA-JFK-MAD-ATH-LHR-OSL which might be cheaper (and maybe more convenient) than twisting yourself around with positioning trips to and from Africa. You could even ride Norwegian's el cheapo service to Oslo to position for the RTW start.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Nov 15, 2017 at 7:44 am
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Thanks for the help. I finally got one to price: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN-SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB for 116,500 ZAR or ~8,000usd. Seem about right? The only AA segment in SEA-LAX. Would it be better to use them to HKG to access the AA RTW desk?
Yes that seems about right. The base fare of a DONE4 is ZAR102,000, so a total of ZAR116,500 seems reasonable (it will include the various taxes, fees and charges)

And also Yes - if you take the AA flight LAX-HKG, then you can phone the AA ATW Desk to buy the ticket. Just tell the agent that you want to pay for it in the US in US Dollars (assuming that's what you want to do). The price will first be worked out in ZAR and then converted to USD (you do NOT pay the US price!)

Your new itinerary has no second visit to the continent of Europe/Middle Eat and so even the hopelessly buggy on-line tool can handle it!
If you buy the ticket from AA and you do want a second visit to Europe/Middle East
Then your return to Africa must be via the Middle East (because you are including South Africa and you started with a flight from Africa to Europe) - for example LHR-DOH-JNB
You can return to anywhere in Africa, it does not have to be South Africa
And you can stopover in Europe/Middle East on the second visit as well as the first

Finally, your proposed itinerary is using only 12 of the allowed 16 segments
So I do hope you're planning to add say 4 flights in North America, to enjoy while you are back in Seattle halfway through the RTW
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:50 am

A couple questions:

If I were to reserve and pay for this I would need to have dates/flights for all segments to TC2>TC1 (JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA) and the rest could be left open?

I can change the dates at no cost but if the routing does it is $125? Ex. change SEA-LAX-HKG to SEA-JFK-HKG or add a stopover in a continent.

If I keep the routing and date the same but change carrier (MH>CX) on a segment is the $125 fee applicable?

THanks
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:59 am
Moderator, OneWorld

A couple questions:

If I were to reserve and pay for this I would need to have dates/flights for all segments to TC2>TC1 (JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA) and the rest could be left open?

I can change the dates at no cost but if the routing does it is $125? Ex. change SEA-LAX-HKG to SEA-JFK-HKG or add a stopover in a continent.

If I keep the routing and date the same but change carrier (MH>CX) on a segment is the $125 fee applicable?

THanks
E-ticketing doesn't allow for open dates; you'd have to put in "dummy" dates and then change them later.

Date and carrier changes (MH>CX) shouldn't attract the $125 fee but they might incur "service" fees depending on who's doing the changing.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
E-ticketing doesn't allow for open dates; you'd have to put in "dummy" dates and then change them later.
I don't believe this to be true. Maybe @Calchas or others here could confirm, but my understanding is that open-dating is possible, but, for some reason, airlines don't like to do it.

Last edited by christep; Nov 18, 2017 at 12:15 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.