Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:36 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jmullaney
I am traveling to/from Madrid with children on cheaper tickets booked on the AA website. (don't know the fare basis) For The segments on BA and IB, I am unable to get seats assigned. I am told that seats will only be assigned at the airport of the flight on the day of travel I was very surprised as I don't fly the One World airlines much. Any suggestion? There will be four children that will not like long flights away from parents or others they know. Thanks.
I would suggest you call BA and IB directly. They should be able to assign seats for you even if AA can't.
And it is possible that one can not assign seats. If this is the case try to be early for online check-in. Also, airlines don't usually let small children travel separate from their parents so they will reseat people to accommodate your family should you not be able to get seats assigned now.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:03 am

Upgrade on CX

Hi All,
Is there anyway I can use my OneWorld Emerald status to request a free upgrade on a paid Cathay Pacific Business ticket? I'm not sure who to ask even if I could. The checkin desk? The gate agent?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by monkeybot
Hi All,
Is there anyway I can use my OneWorld Emerald status to request a free upgrade on a paid Cathay Pacific Business ticket? I'm not sure who to ask even if I could. The checkin desk? The gate agent?
If there is an oversale and operational upgrades were required you would stand after all CX DMs and GOs. Otherwise it's not going to happen. Why in the world would they upgrade you simply because you have status with another airline? They don't even do that for their own elites. You will be treated very well however, and the ISM will probably come thank you specifically at your seat.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Why in the world would they upgrade you simply because you have status with another airline?
I've just been on hand when other people's upgrades went through and was wondering what it would take to get mine as well :P
Thanks for the response.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: US, UA, CO, AA, Delta
Suggestions for BOS-BKK in Jan. 2013

Hello,
I am planning a trip to Thailand in January 2013 and need some help figuring out the most efficient and cost effective way to book the flights. For me the flights are half the adventure for F whenever possible. I've never flown on a 747, 777, 787 or A380 so all would be new to me! I live in Boston and would love to stop over in HKG for a few days on the outbound leg, but only if possible. I've done a ton of research and fake bookings on Qantas and BA and I think Cathay Pacific/JA is my best option. Below is my miles stash and my tentative, untrained plan.

• BA Miles: 106,000
• American: 167,000
• Chase Sapphire UR: 90,000 (but still waiting for 7% annual bonus)
• United: 51,000
• US Air: 52,000

Outbound
BOS-JFK-HGK(stop)-BKK on CX 777 in first (economy for BOS-JFK leg and business for HKG-BKK leg))

Inbound
BKK-NRT-BOS on JA 767/787 business

I was thinking I would use 124,500 BA miles (transfer some from UR) for the outbound leg on CX and 67,500 AA miles for the inbound leg on JA.

Which option would you rate highest for great service, comfy eating/relaxing seats, sleepable lie-flat beds, entertainment options, food, etc? Does this sound like a good plan? Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:29 pm

Oneworld or Star Alliance

this is probably one of those 'how long is a piece of string' type questions but here goes

which is better oneworld or star alliance?

ive looked at both OW and SA and there seem to be similar constraints around segments etc. but I dont know about cost. SA seems to be around $7000 per person - I dont know if OW are any cheaper.

but we do have a FF program already with a star alliance carrier so im leaning towards them but if OW are cheaper or more flexible then maybe that will be a better choice
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:05 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by cheapflier
this is probably one of those 'how long is a piece of string' type questions but here goes

which is better oneworld or star alliance?

ive looked at both OW and SA and there seem to be similar constraints around segments etc. but I dont know about cost. SA seems to be around $7000 per person - I dont know if OW are any cheaper.

but we do have a FF program already with a star alliance carrier so im leaning towards them but if OW are cheaper or more flexible then maybe that will be a better choice
The big difference between the Star products and the Oneworld Explorer (one of two RTWs sold by OW members) is that the Oneworld Explorer has no mileage cap, but is based on how many continents you'll touch throughout the ticket. (The other OW ticket, the Global Explorer, is also mileage based and is quite similar to the Star tickets. Its advantage over the Oneworld Explorer is that one can use several airlines that aren't Oneworld alliance members, such as Gulf Air, Alaska Airlines, Air Pacific etc.)

The prices vary dramatically with the country in which the ticket is bought and travel commenced (same goes for the Star products). Where are you starting and in what class of service (coach, business, first?) Have a look here for a quick comparison of prices relative to places.

Both alliances have their strong points and weak points where RTW travel is concerned; a lot depends on what you want to accomplish and where you want to go.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
Red face One World Award Travel

Hi Friends,
I should be thankful for some input on award travel for which I have not found an answer so far.
Our Cathay Pacific miles will expire this May. Should like to use them for award tickets, in conjunction with BA and/or AA miles.
AA: 154,000+ and 120,000 for Mr. H.
BA: 137,000+ household account
CP: 13,000+ and 13,000+
1. The CP miles could be used as an upgrade on a ticket to Hongkong (hopefully), but which would mean that we have miles in our CP accounts again.
2. We should prefer to use the BA miles without incurring the exorbitant taxes charged by BA, mostly in Europe.
3. We DO have to fly to Europe this summer (one in June, one in July and these have to be ticketed soon) and plan to do it with award miles (can be US Air or Delta). If we do use OW award miles for this, can the CP miles be used for this?
At one time, I expected to use the OW award miles for RTW tickets, but our time constraints do not allow for it this year. I guess with award tickets the RTW cannot be interrupted for any length of time.
Oh, BTW economy class should do it for us.
I'd be thankful for any insights.
Hakluyt
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:03 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Hakluyt
Hi Friends,
I should be thankful for some input on award travel for which I have not found an answer so far.
Our Cathay Pacific miles will expire this May. Should like to use them for award tickets, in conjunction with BA and/or AA miles.
AA: 154,000+ and 120,000 for Mr. H.
BA: 137,000+ household account
CP: 13,000+ and 13,000+
1. The CP miles could be used as an upgrade on a ticket to Hongkong (hopefully), but which would mean that we have miles in our CP accounts again.
2. We should prefer to use the BA miles without incurring the exorbitant taxes charged by BA, mostly in Europe.
3. We DO have to fly to Europe this summer (one in June, one in July and these have to be ticketed soon) and plan to do it with award miles (can be US Air or Delta). If we do use OW award miles for this, can the CP miles be used for this?
At one time, I expected to use the OW award miles for RTW tickets, but our time constraints do not allow for it this year. I guess with award tickets the RTW cannot be interrupted for any length of time.
Oh, BTW economy class should do it for us.
I'd be thankful for any insights.
Hakluyt
I am not sure really what your question is. Yes of course you can use CX miles to fly on BA or AA or any other OW carrier. Also, it might even work that you can use CX miles to upgrade on CX and still credit the miles to BA or AA for example. The CX board will be able to give you the definite answer on this.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:19 pm

Thanks DownUnder;
will try CP board.
Hakluyt
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:43 pm

One World Sapphire - Luggage Allowance on Royal Jordanian

I am AA Platinum / OW Sapphire and am flying to the Middle East this March in economy all the way. Booked flights through AA with RJ as a code share:

SFO-ORD: AA
ORD-AMM: RJ
AMM-JED: RJ
MED-AMM: RJ
TLV-AMM: RJ
AMM-ORD: RJ
ORD-SFO: AA

I know I get 2 free bags on AA as a Platinum member but I'm not sure if RJ will honor the 2 bags (up to 50 lbs). I called them and they told me to check with AA which I did. AA said I should be allowed 2 check in pieces (up to 50 lbs each) but I don't trust AA Advantage desk and I was looking for some type of confirmation. I have faced numerous issues with luggage flying with BA and I'm trying to avoid a similar problem with RJ.

Does anyone have any insight? a link to some RJ website would be great as well.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:22 am

Cathay Pacific miles

Hi all,
Funny thing happend when talking to CX rep.
Firstly, it was difficult to reach CX by phone. My asiamiles # was not accepted, deemed invalid. With the 5. attempt I finally got in and waited 25 minutes for a rep.
Secondly, the rep insisted that I could NOT use CX miles in conjunction w/AA or BA miles!!! He got quite irate at the end.
Thirdly, 1 day later I received an email from CX telling me that I could not use their telephone line since I was not a member of asiamiles.
Which means: It is to difficult and unproductive to deal with CX. Since I cannot take an extended trip this year on *A for personal reasons, the best deal evidently is to exchange the CX miles at point.com at a loss. Is there another solution?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:56 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rumesha
I am AA Platinum / OW Sapphire and am flying to the Middle East this March in economy all the way. Booked flights through AA with RJ as a code share:

SFO-ORD: AA
ORD-AMM: RJ
AMM-JED: RJ
MED-AMM: RJ
TLV-AMM: RJ
AMM-ORD: RJ
ORD-SFO: AA

I know I get 2 free bags on AA as a Platinum member but I'm not sure if RJ will honor the 2 bags (up to 50 lbs). I called them and they told me to check with AA which I did. AA said I should be allowed 2 check in pieces (up to 50 lbs each) but I don't trust AA Advantage desk and I was looking for some type of confirmation. I have faced numerous issues with luggage flying with BA and I'm trying to avoid a similar problem with RJ.

Does anyone have any insight? a link to some RJ website would be great as well.
RJs standard allowance to/from North America is 2 bags at 23kg anyway:

http://www.rj.com/en/checked_luggage.html
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:59 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Hakluyt
Hi all,
Funny thing happend when talking to CX rep.
Firstly, it was difficult to reach CX by phone. My asiamiles # was not accepted, deemed invalid. With the 5. attempt I finally got in and waited 25 minutes for a rep.
Secondly, the rep insisted that I could NOT use CX miles in conjunction w/AA or BA miles!!! He got quite irate at the end.
Thirdly, 1 day later I received an email from CX telling me that I could not use their telephone line since I was not a member of asiamiles.
Which means: It is to difficult and unproductive to deal with CX. Since I cannot take an extended trip this year on *A for personal reasons, the best deal evidently is to exchange the CX miles at point.com at a loss. Is there another solution?
I can't comment on your CX miles account issues of course. But the rep is right, you can't use CX and AA miles at the same time. Mixing is not possible. Each one would be a separate thing.
What do you really want to do with those CX miles? 13,000 usually don't get you very far.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:07 pm

Just signed up for a platinum card, did not get any bonuses...

Guys, first time poster, newbie, etc. Tried looking around for this info but my eye strain is bad today.

I just signed up for a platinum card and got one for my wife also. I DID NOT get any bonus offer for signing up. I signed up on the spur of the moment basically online.

From what I can tell from looking around I clearly screwed up by not getting any rebates or rewards for joining. Everyone else seems to have gotten 50000 or 100000 points, which would cover a year of membership more or less.

Did I or did I not make a mistake by not getting a bonus package?

And is there anything I can do to correct that mistake at this point, i.e. by calling them up and asking for bonus points etc....

My apologies, I know I should be searching threads for the info. If anyone could point me to any resources would appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.