Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:03 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by bakera
I had some fun this weekend researching hypothetical Round The World routes in preparation for a trip to celebrate early retirement in a few years time. This led to a few questions:

My proposed route would be something like LHR>HKG>AKL>NAN>SYD>HNL>LAX>MIA>BGI>LHR in J

1) The Oneworld RTW planner is insisting that the AKL>NAN is routed through SYD rather than the direct Qantas codeshare flight operated by Fiji Airways. Are codeshares excluded from RTW bookings?

2) For most dates I try the BGI>LHR leg is only showing available in Y (on the direct flights, J is available on flights routed via MIA) even though there are free seats in J. Do RTW flights need a specific fare class to be booked in? If so which?

3) given that RTW tickets can be used for trips of up to 12 months in duration, do I have to wait until the final leg is available for booking, or can I book the early legs and add the others when they are released?

Thanks.
Hi and welcome!

1. You cannot use Air Fiji flights with the Oneworld Explorer; you can, however, use them with the Global Explorer RTW product. The Oneworld Explorer (on which the RTW planner is based) is not mileage-limited but the Global Explorer is, with various tiers ranging from 26,000 to 39,000 flown miles. Here are the rules for the Global Explorer product and here are the rules for the Oneworld Explorer; these are worth reviewing as are the lengthy FAQ threads on this board.

2. Business class RTW tickets book into D class, so you will need access to a service like Expert Flyer in order to see what classes are available on any given flight. (One of the 26,000 mile Global Explorer tickets allows booking into I class but that's not widely available.)

3. Most of us book "dummy" flights in cases where the actual flight dates aren't available yet; the tickets allow free date changes, so when the flights/dates open for booking, just switch them. Be careful you don't change the city pairs or add/subtract stops or plane changes, which will result in having to pay a re-issue fee.

Happy planning!
bakera likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Thanks Gardyloo, much appreciated.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
bakera,
If you book xONEx ticket with some "dummy" flights that you can change later, note that there is a $125 change fee (pre-pandemic, not sure if still true) if you change itinerary BEFORE the FIRST flight. After the first flight, fee is waived if date change only (not city pairs).

I recall beginning a xONEx from the UK will cost much more than say from OSL. Depends on currency exchange, OSL has been the cheapest for DONE3, DONE4 for some time.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I was one several airlines and I notice oneworld members seem to get special treatment even if two members are part of the same airline class. I saw a FA come around and told the oneworld member. "Because you are special we are told to treat you guys well, if you ever need anything here is my business card and you can contact me" I never got personalized service like that one AA or Cathy pacific even when flying first or business.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
Question about Qatar as 1st flight on a DONE4

Hi experts.

Question for you:

I am trying to explore a DONE4 from Australia for August 2022 using Qatar as the 1st (and 2nd) flight (ADL-DOH-PHL). This is apparently not possible according to the on line tool. Is it possible at all?

I seem to recall dimly readng somewhere (in the pre-Covid past) that this was a problem, but I can't find the reference anywhere. I have not tried using Qatar as the 1st airline before, as I have previously used somewhat complex routings to maximize miles (none of which involved Qatar), but I think that this 'creativity' is now a thing of the past due to Covid.

(Previously I have always booked my RTW fares on the phone with the AA RTW desk, which has usually been fine.)

Is there some way around this? And if so, what would be the best way to make such a booking? the RTW desk at AA (or what left of it)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Medicus.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: Frontier 100k; AA ExPlat; LATAM Black; *A Gold ; SkyTeam Elite+
Recently obtained Cathay Pacific Silver (OW Ruby). Added it to my AA flight and AA says no status is being shown. Not a big deal for that flight, though annoying.

I have an upcoming flight where I need the 1-bag allowance. Again I added my CX frequent flier number to the reservation. AA agent says no status is being shown on their end. They removed it and re-added it, still nothing.
So... who should I call to fix this? American? Cathay Pacific? is there a Oneworld help line?

AA through chat was no help. CX through WhatsApp does not respond
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by allset2travel
bakera,
If you book xONEx ticket with some "dummy" flights that you can change later, note that there is a $125 change fee (pre-pandemic, not sure if still true) if you change itinerary BEFORE the FIRST flight. After the first flight, fee is waived if date change only (not city pairs).
If you are not changing the first flight, then it shouldn't matter if you change dates/times on flights before or after departing on the first flight; either way there is no $125 re-route fee because you are not changing the routing. Pre-pandemic I always booked xONEx trips far in advance, with dummy dates for the last 10-12 flights since the dates I wanted weren't yet bookable. As soon as the dates I want are bookable, I'll call the ticketing carrier and change the dates. There's never been a re-route fee since the route isn't changing. Note that AA at least has waived the re-route fee because of the pandemic.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by medicus
Hi experts.

Question for you:

I am trying to explore a DONE4 from Australia for August 2022 using Qatar as the 1st (and 2nd) flight (ADL-DOH-PHL). This is apparently not possible according to the on line tool. Is it possible at all?

I seem to recall dimly readng somewhere (in the pre-Covid past) that this was a problem, but I can't find the reference anywhere. I have not tried using Qatar as the 1st airline before, as I have previously used somewhat complex routings to maximize miles (none of which involved Qatar), but I think that this 'creativity' is now a thing of the past due to Covid.

(Previously I have always booked my RTW fares on the phone with the AA RTW desk, which has usually been fine.)

Is there some way around this? And if so, what would be the best way to make such a booking? the RTW desk at AA (or what left of it)
Historically, the online tool has been unable to issue a ticket on QR, and has always used the carrier of the first segment as the ticketing carrier. However, both of these are limitations of the tool. Any OneWorld airline can in theory issue such a ticket, even if none of their flights are on the ticket, although in practice many if not most airlines insist that their flights be used either for the first flight or at least one overwater flight. Any travel agent can issue these tickets, and can issue such a ticket on any OneWorld airline for which they can issue tickets. So, you can use QR as your first flight if you call QR, or call a travel agent, or call an airline you're using for an overwater flight. (Another option is to use a codeshare instead of a QR code, but EF doesn't show that ADL-DOH in August is sold as any OW codeshares, unfortunately.) If you've had success booking with the AA RTW desk before, there's no reason not to continue doing so.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Puzzles
Recently obtained Cathay Pacific Silver (OW Ruby). Added it to my AA flight and AA says no status is being shown. Not a big deal for that flight, though annoying.

I have an upcoming flight where I need the 1-bag allowance. Again I added my CX frequent flier number to the reservation. AA agent says no status is being shown on their end. They removed it and re-added it, still nothing.
So... who should I call to fix this? American? Cathay Pacific? is there a Oneworld help line?
This does happen, and usually resolves itself once the databases synchronize, whenever that is. Unfortunately there isn't anything anyone can do to push it through, so you may have to show your card/CX app to AA at check-in to get your baggage allowance. AA at the airport can call the oneworld helpdesk to verify your CX status if they need to.

Hopefully it sorts itself out by the time you get to the airport.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:38 am

I wanted to ask the OW experts here rather than start a new thread about it.

I am OW Sapphire (via AS MVP Gold) and I am flying on AA metal today and tried accessing an Admirals club which I confirmed via OW website has access through my status as OWS. When I got here, both the front desk and manager I spoke with said that AA Admirals club does not recognize OW Sapphire via AS and I needed to have OW Emerald and AS Lounge+ membership in order to enter.

Is this correct?

Edit: I think I found the answer, only eligible for access for international flights on AA metal or Flagship flights.

Last edited by nighthawk06si; Oct 24, 2021 at 10:50 am
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nighthawk06si
I wanted to ask the OW experts here rather than start a new thread about it.

I am OW Sapphire (via AS MVP Gold) and I am flying on AA metal today and tried accessing an Admirals club which I confirmed via OW website has access through my status as OWS. When I got here, both the front desk and manager I spoke with said that AA Admirals club does not recognize OW Sapphire via AS and I needed to have OW Emerald and AS Lounge+ membership in order to enter.

Is this correct?

Edit: I think I found the answer, only eligible for access for international flights on AA metal or Flagship flights.
Correct
Also OWE would not get you access

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
The Following Exceptions Apply
<snip>

Alaska Airlines Flights
Alaska Airlines guests travelling in First Class (excluding guests who were upgraded) are eligible for access to the Alaska Lounge. First Class guests are not eligible for access to oneworld member airline lounges when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members are not eligible for access to oneworld member airline lounges when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit Alaska Airlines' website.

American Airlines Domestic Flights
American Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on domestic U.S. flights (some exceptions apply). For more information, visit American Airlines' website.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Correct
Also OWE would not get you access

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
thank you for the confirmation.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
I've been told by BA they aren't able to book a Global Explorer fare going through NAN, whether on FJ or QF codes (FJ operated). My booking agent says they have been told they can't book any Oneworld tickets through NAN regardless of codeshare. Any thoughts why this would be and whether any other airports/cities/airports would be impacted?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Once upon a time, I maintained a subscription to EF, both for flight availability and RTW pricing. As Western Australia has earned the nickname "Hermit Kingdom" (resulting from border closures) and I encountered a credit card re-issue, I let the subscription expire.

As the potential for wandering increases, my interest in the RTW fares grows correspondingly.
As a long range planning guide, can someone indicate the three or four least expensive starting points for LONEx and DONEx at the moment (where x=3,4).

My appreciation will not be wandering
Fred
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
This is a snippet of the spreadsheet I keep
In my experience, there is only a small variation in the LONEx base fares. The DONEx variations are larger
FYI DONE4 prices ex-Namibia and ex-Mozambique are similar to the ex-South Africa prices

(Like you Fred, I am hoping to recommence my wanderings soon, and am pricing up an ex-Karachi (!) DONE4)

ETA: Perhaps these two posts should be moved to Oneworld product pricing - PLEASE READ - FlyerTalk Forums
LCSinTexas likes this.

Last edited by pandaperth; Jan 24, 2022 at 5:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.