Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 5, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by SoydeSD
I know this is probably a common and obvious question [snip] Can I pay off the payments that have posted and still preserve my rewards?
I don't recall every seeing the question asked before. I can't think of any reason why paying your card early would have any effect at all on your rewards. You can always review the terms and conditions of the offer when you first signed up, but in my experience the terms usually require that the card be open and in good standing (and charges not be balance transfers, cash advances, items subsequently returned, etc.) I haven't ever seen any card terms that in any way disadvantage early payment.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SoydeSD
Can I pay off the payments that have posted and still preserve my rewards? My thinking is yes, but I also know that assumption is the mother of all costly mistakes
Yes. These spend requirements are based on spend, not on balance when the monthly bill is printed.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:55 am

Question Which flight number will your boarding pass show if flight is codeshare?

Hi FT, first time question-asker here, please be gentle with me!

I'm curious what flight number a boarding pass will show for a codeshare flight. For example, the 09:45 LHR-JFK on AA (which on AA is AA101) is the same flight as denoted by all the following codeshare flights:

AY4011
BA1516
GF6631
IB4219
LY8066
MH9393

I don't just mean what the boarding pass is printed with (although I'm interested in this too) but rather what flight number the barcode/QR code would state when scanned?

Any insights greatly appreciated
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lu_avs55
Hi FT, first time question-asker here, please be gentle with me!

I'm curious what flight number a boarding pass will show for a codeshare flight. For example, the 09:45 LHR-JFK on AA (which on AA is AA101) is the same flight as denoted by all the following codeshare flights:

AY4011
BA1516
GF6631
IB4219
LY8066
MH9393

I don't just mean what the boarding pass is printed with (although I'm interested in this too) but rather what flight number the barcode/QR code would state when scanned?

Any insights greatly appreciated
Hi and welcome to FT!

The bp should show the operating carrier flight number so for your example AA101. If you booked it under one of those codeshare it may reference that, so if might show as "AA101 booked as BA1516" - in any case even if the code you booked it under didn't show on the bp it would be recorded on the system and credit to your BAEC account as BA1516.

Hope that helps. If you need to check the code itself then there are various apps you can get to read it.

EDIT: just out of interest tomorrow I have a QR operated flight booked under the BA codeshare. After scanning the bp code it only shows the QR flight number.
lu_avs55 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by KARFA
The bp should show the operating carrier flight number so for your example AA101. If you booked it under one of those codeshare it may reference that, so if might show as "AA101 booked as BA1516"
Just as a very minor note: exactly what is shown depends on the carrier printing the BP. In the case of AA-operated flights booked as a partner codeshare, with a BP printed by AA, the BP will show the AA flight and then somewhat smaller "sold as XXNNNN"
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I realise this might be a stupid question and apologise in advance, but I am currently planning a Qantas OW classic flight reward with something like the following itinerary:
SYD-MEL-HKG-CMB-DOH-LHR-AMS-JFK-CDG-DOH-MNL-SYD
I am attempting to minimise fuel surcharges but every time I run any airport with any airline through ITA matrix to look at the fees and taxes, I come up with the prohibitive $857 "carrier surcharge". I have read on some blogs that AA won't charge this on OW award flights. Can anyone tell me if I'm dreaming or not?

Any help much appreciated.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pye1201
I realise this might be a stupid question and apologise in advance, but I am currently planning a Qantas OW classic flight reward with something like the following itinerary:
SYD-MEL-HKG-CMB-DOH-LHR-AMS-JFK-CDG-DOH-MNL-SYD
I am attempting to minimise fuel surcharges but every time I run any airport with any airline through ITA matrix to look at the fees and taxes, I come up with the prohibitive $857 "carrier surcharge". I have read on some blogs that AA won't charge this on OW award flights. Can anyone tell me if I'm dreaming or not?

Any help much appreciated.
If using QF points, you need to play by their rules. What another ffp does with awards is irrelevant. AA does not have the same award rules as QF.
For example a SYD LAX QF award has a cash surcharge, where as an AA award on the same flight (seat) will not.

Great Circle Mapper
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Thanks Mwenenzi. Wishful thinking I guess..
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:57 pm

Hi guys, will be flying Royal Jordanian LHR-AMM-LHR in Y "Super Saver" (Economy Restricted) - this fare doesn't have any checked baggage allowance nor free seat selection. Will I be able to use OW Sapphire (BAEC Silver) benefits - ie free baggage and seat selection?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oruvin
Hi guys, will be flying Royal Jordanian LHR-AMM-LHR in Y "Super Saver" (Economy Restricted) - this fare doesn't have any checked baggage allowance nor free seat selection. Will I be able to use OW Sapphire (BAEC Silver) benefits - ie free baggage and seat selection?
Best to ask Royal Jordian. Is not clear from the OW site, as your ticket does not have a baggage entitlement. So noting to improve on. No "extra"

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits
For sapphire
  1. Access to Business Class lounges
  2. Access to Business Class priority check-in
  3. Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating*
  4. Priority on waitlists and when on standby*

***Extra baggage allowance for Sapphire frequent flyers

As a Sapphire frequent flyer, the following special baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:
  • On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "weight" system - 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy baggage allowance.
  • On international itineraries, that include domestic sectors, using the baggage allowance “piece” system – one additional bag*, weighing up to 23kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.
  • On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, for tickets with no ticketed baggage entitlement - the assurance of one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs.

Customers travelling in First and Business Class cabins will, in most cases, receive an even greater free checked baggage allowance.

Note: This benefit is not available on British Airways’ 'Hand Baggage Only/Basic' fares.

*In accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld airline operating the flight.
**Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways.
The OW web site was a lot better before the web sited was downgraded by a significant amount some months ago

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 16, 2019 at 2:13 pm
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:25 pm

That's what confused me - I knew about BA "Hand Baggage Only" fare, and it clearly states on the OW website, but it doesn't say anything about RJ, not on RJ website either.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oruvin
That's what confused me - I knew about BA "Hand Baggage Only" fare, and it clearly states on the OW website, but it doesn't say anything about RJ, not on RJ website either.
Contact RJ.
Nil allowance so nil x extra is still nil is my guess
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Contact RJ.
Contacted RJ, they said to contact BA/OW, contacted BA, they said to contact RJ
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I know the answer is probably in here somewhere, but I can't find it.

We're thinking of using AA miles (MilesAAver) to get a coach ticket on BA to LHR next summer. Of course, we could spend twice as many miles+ on AA to get a good seat because we're both Platinum. However, we thought if there was a way to use fewer miles it might be worth it if there was a way to get (pay for?) an exit row or something similar. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I know the answer is probably in here somewhere, but I can't find it.

We're thinking of using AA miles (MilesAAver) to get a coach ticket on BA to LHR next summer. Of course, we could spend twice as many miles+ on AA to get a good seat because we're both Platinum. However, we thought if there was a way to use fewer miles it might be worth it if there was a way to get (pay for?) an exit row or something similar. Anyone have any ideas?
AA thread
BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.

Many threads in BA forum on seating. Without mid level status need to pay for seat allocation in economy & business

Posts Jun 2019
When to purchase seats

Posts Jun 2019
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...s-article.html

Posts Dec 2018 Best guide
BA Seating Policy Guide

Posts Dec 2018
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ts-status.html

Post Apr 2017 Post (Last post Jan 2018)
Club World seat reservations not free?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.