Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Reply

Old Dec 17, 17, 7:26 pm
  #2011  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE & RMQ
Programs: CX MPO SL, IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Posts: 4,100
Originally Posted by Whodunit68 View Post
Educated guess that NWK is EWR?
You can fly to PVG, PEK, TYO (NRT or HND) or any of the dozens of SE Asia cities that OW does fly to and take a hop on someone who does go there. It's a 3 hour hop on Air China, China Southern, or Hainan to SZX. Example (I don't know your dates or preferences and this isn't business class but should give you the idea), go to: Matrix - ITA Software by Google.
I think NWK is the code used in the train system, and, yes, as the poster above mentioned, going via HKG will be much easier.
ernestnywang is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 17, 6:32 pm
  #2012  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Washington
Programs: AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 503
Originally Posted by filmgeek View Post
Ok, I have platinum status on AA.

I'm getting a chance to go to Shenzen and get the points going there. I can fly business - so the flight will be (semi) comfortable....

BUT WAIT - it seems like I can't get AA/Oneworld to fly to Shenzen?

I can fly out of PHL, BWI, NWK - any idea of what I should do?
CX just announced a direct from IAD - HKG starting in Sept 2018 if you can fly from IAD and wait until then
Karan97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 17, 7:22 pm
  #2013  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: QF, 06, GA, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 2,561
Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post

You should be okay due to your status.

Looking at https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/GRU/-1 it doesn't mention connection restrictions for Emerald/Sapphires like it does for F/J pax:



Note that the LA/JJ lounge closes at midnight and the AA at 1am. You might get some funny looks for being there so early but you should be okay.
As kindly advised, I had no trouble accessing both the LATAM and AA lounges after arriving from DOH.
danger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:14 pm
  #2014  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: EB QR
Posts: 1
I'm travelling through LHR on my way between Hong Kong and Rio with BA. I've not been to Heathrow in many years and never in the lounges so I would of course like to test out as many as possible. I'm travelling in Club World and am Sapphire in OW, and I'm an EU citizen so I can enter landside without any hassle so there should be plenty to choose from. I'll have 6 hours both ways so loads of time to spend!

Now, my flights both arrive and depart from T5 while unfortunately most lounges are found in T3. From what I've gathered across FT, it is possible to go from T5 to T3 without a T3 boarding pass if you have access to a lounge in T3 but not in T5 (like a pay-for pass to Admiral's club). Anyone have experience from that being also possible just to do some lounge-hopping despite having access to the Galleries in T5?

Note that I will have an onwards boarding pass for T5 so getting back from T3 to T5 wouldn't be an issue.

On a related note, how are the arrival lounges in LHR - anyone I should make a point of trying out?
MESwePhl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 1:21 am
  #2015  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 13,739
MESwePhl Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by MESwePhl View Post
I'm travelling through LHR on my way between Hong Kong and Rio with BA. I've not been to Heathrow in many years and never in the lounges so I would of course like to test out as many as possible. I'm travelling in Club World and am Sapphire in OW, and I'm an EU citizen so I can enter landside without any hassle so there should be plenty to choose from. I'll have 6 hours both ways so loads of time to spend!

Now, my flights both arrive and depart from T5 while unfortunately most lounges are found in T3. From what I've gathered across FT, it is possible to go from T5 to T3 without a T3 boarding pass if you have access to a lounge in T3 but not in T5 (like a pay-for pass to Admiral's club). Anyone have experience from that being also possible just to do some lounge-hopping despite having access to the Galleries in T5?

Note that I will have an onwards boarding pass for T5 so getting back from T3 to T5 wouldn't be an issue.

On a related note, how are the arrival lounges in LHR - anyone I should make a point of trying out?
As you flying HKG-LHR-RIO on BA a question for the BA forum
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/

OW lounge access https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/lhr/-1
Mwenenzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 18, 11:10 am
  #2016  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 27
Checking Bags

Hi - not sure if this is the best forum for this, but the airlines involved are OW, so...
I'm going to Jordan. I booked AA from LAX-ORD, to pick up RJ 264 ORD-AMM. Booked on separate tickets. RJ264 is an AA code share (1702, I think).

My question:. Is there any possibility, when I check my bags in LAX, that AA would be willing/able to check them thru to AMM?
Daveholman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 18, 12:00 pm
  #2017  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: GNV
Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Posts: 310
Originally Posted by Daveholman View Post
Hi - not sure if this is the best forum for this, but the airlines involved are OW, so...
I'm going to Jordan. I booked AA from LAX-ORD, to pick up RJ 264 ORD-AMM. Booked on separate tickets. RJ264 is an AA code share (1702, I think).

My question:. Is there any possibility, when I check my bags in LAX, that AA would be willing/able to check them thru to AMM?
I won't say definitively that you can not do this but I will say that I've been told no, very recently in fact. 2 different PNR's with 2 different airlines, no matter the alliance, the answer is no. That was my recent (3 weeks ago) experience.
Whodunit68 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 18, 12:03 pm
  #2018  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by Whodunit68 View Post
I won't say definitively that you can not do this but I will say that I've been told no, very recently in fact. 2 different PNR's with 2 different airlines, no matter the alliance, the answer is no. That was my recent (3 weeks ago) experience.
Okay. Thanks. I figured I was just dreaming
Daveholman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 18, 12:05 pm
  #2019  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: GNV
Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Posts: 310
Originally Posted by Daveholman View Post
Okay. Thanks. I figured I was just dreaming
I also won't confirm if you were dreaming or not.
Whodunit68 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 18, 4:55 am
  #2020  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
OneWorld

Hi,
what is the easy way to get oneworld emerald status? I flu a lto with Finair and thinking about where should I reclaim the mailes. Thank You
Konrad Komputery is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:48 am
  #2021  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 10,774
Very few programmes allow you to claim miles flown before you signed up with them, so I fear you may be out of luck this time.
christep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 9:47 pm
  #2022  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 131
ORD to TKO - purchase ticket on JAL or as AA codeshare on JAL metal

Questions - headed to Japan this summer from ORD - planning on purchasing premium economy - am an AA PLT - I cannot seem (aside from price and mileage accrual) to determine the benefits of either purchasing the ticket through JAL or AA (codeshare on JAL metal) aside from potential challenges in seat selections.... as far as I can tell - neither way will be upgradeable with AA miles - are there other benefits or challenges that I am overlooking?
Thanks!
Boeing2027 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 18, 4:46 am
  #2023  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE & RMQ
Programs: CX MPO SL, IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Posts: 4,100
Originally Posted by Boeing2027 View Post
Questions - headed to Japan this summer from ORD - planning on purchasing premium economy - am an AA PLT - I cannot seem (aside from price and mileage accrual) to determine the benefits of either purchasing the ticket through JAL or AA (codeshare on JAL metal) aside from potential challenges in seat selections.... as far as I can tell - neither way will be upgradeable with AA miles - are there other benefits or challenges that I am overlooking?
Thanks!
It believe you mean TYO (and the airports are NRT and HND.) The difference would be earning according to the AA chart or the JL chart of AAdvantage.
ernestnywang is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 18, 4:07 am
  #2024  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Hi guys, brand new here.

I am really hoping some of you can help me with my questions around booking a OneWorld Explorer RTW ticket.

My girlfriend and I are planning to travel around the world for a year, departing in about a year from now (March 2019).

I have made a sample itinerary and chose random dates to get a quote / fare estimate.

My main question is that airlines do not let you book flights more than 11 months in advance. If I want to travel the world for a year, how do I go about booking all my segments, especially the ones towards the end of our trip?

My gf and I really like to plan in advance, and we feel if we got the RTW flights booked in advance, it would set a date in our mind and help motivate us to save hard until our departure date.

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.
chronicideas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 18, 9:01 am
  #2025  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: LAX
Posts: 3,520
Booking far ahead

It's been six years since we did our most recent xONEx RTW, and things change, but airline space months downstream is probably the least of your worries. It's as near a certainty as anything that the flight you want will be available when the booking window for it opens up.

(AFAIK no airline has any way at all to book past their window. People buying ordinary tickets without the awesome flexibility of xONEx get a straw-man booking date and a note in their record saying they're entitled to change it for free when the window opens. You of course get that privilege automatically, and I can't imagine that in the deed of wandering for a year, you won't use it over and over despite your initial plans.)

BTW, presumably you know that if you start (and finish) your trip in certain low-cost countries your ticket will be hugely less expensive than if you buy it in say the USA. For some travelers a secondary benefit is that halfway through such a trip you can be back in your home country for a respite, although the year's ticket validity clock keeps ticking of course.

And since you have the resources to travel for a whole year, I do hope your RTW ticket is in business class.

As soon as you're sure about your starting date and initial route* you can and probably should buy your ticket. That has the benefit of locking in the price and the rules that apply to your ticket.

(Find and print those complete rules; xONEx is uncommon enough that many airline employees will be wrong in later dealings with you so it'll be nice to have the gospel on hand.)

Note also that before you take your first flight (or maybe "first international flight") certain changes (e.g. to the first flight) may cause your original ticket to be canceled and a new one issued using new pricing and rules. You probably want to avoid that.

Also before your first flight, the booking agency (the airline that issued your ticket) will "own" it, and you'll have to talk them exclusively to execute any changes for you. After that, it's "your" ticket and any OW airline should be happy to do your bidding.

*You'll need to know your first couple of flights for sure and will need to specify a complete RTW route, and if you later change it (likely) you'll have to pay $175 (?) for the privilege.

FWIW our most recent trip was ticketed JNB-LHR-JFK-HKG-JFK because at the time JNB was a bargain starting point and I wanted a quick-to-ticket route because I feared an imminent price increase. Also FWIW I used American Airlines' South African agent to ticket; they were hugely helpful and competent, and after waiting 3 days for AA's Dublin office to NOT provide the price they did it themselves in half an hour. (It's not rocket science, though sometimes they seem to make it so.)

Last edited by JohnAx; Feb 25, 18 at 9:28 am
JohnAx is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread