Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Reply

Old Nov 2, 17, 7:24 pm
  #1951  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: used to be PER, now it's nowhere/eveywhere
Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
Posts: 3,144
Originally Posted by typical View Post
I believe so (assume you mean DXB to MEL?). The language on the BA site is:

...

- if it has a QR code and is operated by EK as a codeshare, you should get credited.
Assume you mean "has a QF code..."
pandaperth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 17, 11:19 pm
  #1952  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, GF Gold, SPG Plat, LCAH Plat
Posts: 10,313
Originally Posted by pandaperth View Post
Assume you mean "has a QF code..."
Yep. Was having a side conversation about Qatar and mixed then up Thanks for flagging, have edited post.
typical is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 2:46 pm
  #1953  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: BAEXEC Silver
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by typical View Post
Yep. Was having a side conversation about Qatar and mixed then up Thanks for flagging, have edited post.
Thank you for your help, I appreciate!
nszbalint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 17, 5:48 am
  #1954  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Posts: 2,229
I've read through some threads and rule sheets and still confused about DONE fares and routing. I'll be in JNB/CPT so thought this would be a good place to start. Ideally I would like to make stops in (Europe) Spain and Greece; (Asia) Malaysia and Vietnam; (NA) SEA and then return to JNB.

I tried routing CPT-JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-KUL-SEA-LON-JNB-CPT and get an error on the SEA-LON-JNB flights (<24 hrs in LON). It seems the only routing that works if I include SA and replace LON with GRU but this adds a continent. Prices out to 130,000ZAR or ~9,000usd.

Any suggestions?
tkelvin69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 17, 7:50 am
  #1955  
Moderator, OneWorld
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SEA
Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Posts: 10,137
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
I've read through some threads and rule sheets and still confused about DONE fares and routing. I'll be in JNB/CPT so thought this would be a good place to start. Ideally I would like to make stops in (Europe) Spain and Greece; (Asia) Malaysia and Vietnam; (NA) SEA and then return to JNB.

I tried routing CPT-JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-KUL-SEA-LON-JNB-CPT and get an error on the SEA-LON-JNB flights (<24 hrs in LON). It seems the only routing that works if I include SA and replace LON with GRU but this adds a continent. Prices out to 130,000ZAR or ~9,000usd.

Any suggestions?
It's because you're entering Europe twice on an itinerary that includes South Africa.

A second entry/transit in Europe is subject to this rule:
Two (entries) permitted in Europe/Middle East for travel to/from/via Africa. If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa.
Try originating in Mozambique (MPM) instead of South Africa (much cheaper with recent price increases ex-SA) with an itinerary like this - MPM-xDOH-MAD-ATH-LHR-KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA-JFK-xDOH-MPM - and see if you can make it work. Note Qatar is the only Oneworld carrier serving MPM, and ticketing through QR is its own adventure. You might try ticketing through the AA RTW desk; you'll probably help things along by using AA between HKG and LAX so they have some overwater skin in the game.

The "Europe second entry" issue has been perplexing users of this product for years. Don't feel like the lone trooper.
Gardyloo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:10 am
  #1956  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Posts: 2,229
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
It's because you're entering Europe twice on an itinerary that includes South Africa.

A second entry/transit in Europe is subject to this rule:

Try originating in Mozambique (MPM) instead of South Africa (much cheaper with recent price increases ex-SA) with an itinerary like this - MPM-xDOH-MAD-ATH-LHR-KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA-JFK-xDOH-MPM - and see if you can make it work. Note Qatar is the only Oneworld carrier serving MPM, and ticketing through QR is its own adventure. You might try ticketing through the AA RTW desk; you'll probably help things along by using AA between HKG and LAX so they have some overwater skin in the game.

The "Europe second entry" issue has been perplexing users of this product for years. Don't feel like the lone trooper.
When using that routing the second DOH results in this message: "100: You may have only one intercontinental departure and arrival in each continent. Change your route or your flight choice."
tkelvin69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:48 am
  #1957  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: QFF
Posts: 5,287
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
When using that routing the second DOH results in this message: "100: You may have only one intercontinental departure and arrival in each continent. Change your route or your flight choice."
The online booking tool is very buggy. There are cases where a 2nd entry into NA, EU/ME or Asia are allowed when one entry is a transfer to another continent. The tool doesn't do well for anything other then the most basic of routes. Best to book through a travel agent or an airline RTW desk (such as the AA desk).
Himeno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 4:37 am
  #1958  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Posts: 2,229
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
It's because you're entering Europe twice on an itinerary that includes South Africa.

A second entry/transit in Europe is subject to this rule:

Try originating in Mozambique (MPM) instead of South Africa (much cheaper with recent price increases ex-SA) with an itinerary like this - MPM-xDOH-MAD-ATH-LHR-KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA-JFK-xDOH-MPM - and see if you can make it work. Note Qatar is the only Oneworld carrier serving MPM, and ticketing through QR is its own adventure. You might try ticketing through the AA RTW desk; you'll probably help things along by using AA between HKG and LAX so they have some overwater skin in the game.

The "Europe second entry" issue has been perplexing users of this product for years. Don't feel like the lone trooper.
Thanks for the help. I finally got one to price: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN-SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB for 116,500 ZAR or ~8,000usd. Seem about right? The only AA segment in SEA-LAX. Would it be better to use them to HKG to access the AA RTW desk?
tkelvin69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 4:47 am
  #1959  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 10,774
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
I finally got one to price: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN-SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB
To make that valid I assume you mean: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN//SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB ?
christep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 4:54 am
  #1960  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Posts: 2,229
Originally Posted by christep View Post
To make that valid I assume you mean: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN//SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB ?
Yes.

When I try to start in MPM I get flights to MAD but error message for any flight after that (the same flights that priced with the JNB ITN).
tkelvin69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:39 am
  #1961  
Moderator, OneWorld
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SEA
Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Posts: 10,137
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
Yes.

When I try to start in MPM I get flights to MAD but error message for any flight after that (the same flights that priced with the JNB ITN).
I'm not sure when they went up, but Expert Flyer now says that ex-MPM DONE4s price out US$140 more than ex-South Africa, so that window is now closed and there's no point in fussing with Mozambique.

US$8K sounds about right given taxes and fees on top of the base $7055 fare.

For what it's worth, for the moment starting in Oslo is only $100 more in base fare than starting in South Africa. It looks like other "cheap" origin countries, including Japan, have seen recent price increases, possibly reducing their usefulness as alternative start points. In your case it might be cheaper to start the RTW ticket in Norway rather than Africa, as the ultimate return to the US (after the RTW) might be cheaper than returning all the way from southern Africa. For example, your route could be modified to OSL-LHR-ATH-MAD-JFK-SEA-LAX-HKG-SGN/HAN-KUL-HKG-JNB-DOH-OSL or OSL-DOH-JNB-HKG-SGN/HAN-KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA-JFK-MAD-ATH-LHR-OSL which might be cheaper (and maybe more convenient) than twisting yourself around with positioning trips to and from Africa. You could even ride Norwegian's el cheapo service to Oslo to position for the RTW start.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Nov 15, 17 at 7:44 am
Gardyloo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 17, 1:05 am
  #1962  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: used to be PER, now it's nowhere/eveywhere
Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
Posts: 3,144
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
Thanks for the help. I finally got one to price: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN-SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB for 116,500 ZAR or ~8,000usd. Seem about right? The only AA segment in SEA-LAX. Would it be better to use them to HKG to access the AA RTW desk?
Yes that seems about right. The base fare of a DONE4 is ZAR102,000, so a total of ZAR116,500 seems reasonable (it will include the various taxes, fees and charges)

And also Yes - if you take the AA flight LAX-HKG, then you can phone the AA ATW Desk to buy the ticket. Just tell the agent that you want to pay for it in the US in US Dollars (assuming that's what you want to do). The price will first be worked out in ZAR and then converted to USD (you do NOT pay the US price!)

Your new itinerary has no second visit to the continent of Europe/Middle Eat and so even the hopelessly buggy on-line tool can handle it!
If you buy the ticket from AA and you do want a second visit to Europe/Middle East
Then your return to Africa must be via the Middle East (because you are including South Africa and you started with a flight from Africa to Europe) - for example LHR-DOH-JNB
You can return to anywhere in Africa, it does not have to be South Africa
And you can stopover in Europe/Middle East on the second visit as well as the first

Finally, your proposed itinerary is using only 12 of the allowed 16 segments
So I do hope you're planning to add say 4 flights in North America, to enjoy while you are back in Seattle halfway through the RTW
pandaperth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 17, 5:50 am
  #1963  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Posts: 2,229
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
Thanks for the help. I finally got one to price: JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA-LAX-HKG-HAN-SGN-KUL-MNL-HKG-JNB for 116,500 ZAR or ~8,000usd. Seem about right? The only AA segment in SEA-LAX. Would it be better to use them to HKG to access the AA RTW desk?
A couple questions:

If I were to reserve and pay for this I would need to have dates/flights for all segments to TC2>TC1 (JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA) and the rest could be left open?

I can change the dates at no cost but if the routing does it is $125? Ex. change SEA-LAX-HKG to SEA-JFK-HKG or add a stopover in a continent.

If I keep the routing and date the same but change carrier (MH>CX) on a segment is the $125 fee applicable?

THanks
tkelvin69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 17, 6:59 am
  #1964  
Moderator, OneWorld
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SEA
Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Posts: 10,137
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
A couple questions:

If I were to reserve and pay for this I would need to have dates/flights for all segments to TC2>TC1 (JNB-MAD-ATH-LON-SEA) and the rest could be left open?

I can change the dates at no cost but if the routing does it is $125? Ex. change SEA-LAX-HKG to SEA-JFK-HKG or add a stopover in a continent.

If I keep the routing and date the same but change carrier (MH>CX) on a segment is the $125 fee applicable?

THanks
E-ticketing doesn't allow for open dates; you'd have to put in "dummy" dates and then change them later.

Date and carrier changes (MH>CX) shouldn't attract the $125 fee but they might incur "service" fees depending on who's doing the changing.
Gardyloo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 17, 10:42 am
  #1965  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 10,774
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
E-ticketing doesn't allow for open dates; you'd have to put in "dummy" dates and then change them later.
I don't believe this to be true. Maybe @Calchas or others here could confirm, but my understanding is that open-dating is possible, but, for some reason, airlines don't like to do it.

Last edited by christep; Nov 18, 17 at 12:15 pm Reason: typo
christep is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread