FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Malev status match - worth doing?!? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1084385-malev-status-match-worth-doing.html)

carrotjuice Sep 14, 2010 6:06 am

I'm thinking of making use of this promo. Trouble is, I'm based in Hong Kong and need to first fly to a Malev destination first.

Which city in the Malev network has the lowest oneway fare to Budapest?

adl73x Sep 14, 2010 8:12 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 14654776)
I'm thinking of making use of this promo. Trouble is, I'm based in Hong Kong and need to first fly to a Malev destination first.

Which city in the Malev network has the lowest oneway fare to Budapest?

Why? MA Gold won't give you anything you haven't already got with BA Silver.

carrotjuice Sep 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by adl73x (Post 14655404)
Why? MA Gold won't give you anything you haven't already got with BA Silver.

Good reminder to change my tag! By BA Silver has just been downgraded last month, as most of my OW flights this year are on CX and I couldn't meet the 4 BA metal flights criterion. :(

By the way, I did scout around the MA website. Appears the cheapest oneway to BUD is EUR 54 from MXP, followed by EUR 75 from STR, then EUR 85 from TXL.

RJD1983 Sep 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Hello

I've just seen this offer. I am wondering how exactly you go about it. I've read the website, and I'm a little confused on the exact steps. It says I need a special promotion code, and says "MA: ......." that doesn't mean much. Do I need to register with the Duna Club first, and then take a flight, then submit my details to Duna Club?

Thanks

adl73x Sep 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by RJD1983 (Post 14710199)
Hello

I've just seen this offer. I am wondering how exactly you go about it. I've read the website, and I'm a little confused on the exact steps. It says I need a special promotion code, and says "MA: ......." that doesn't mean much. Do I need to register with the Duna Club first, and then take a flight, then submit my details to Duna Club?

Thanks

Yes. You sign up to Duna Club on line. The code they are after is your membership number. Once you've travelled the sector, email the address as shown and it will happen pretty quickly.

RJD1983 Sep 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by adl73x (Post 14710666)
Yes. You sign up to Duna Club on line.

Thanks for your help. Appreciated. Will get cracking on it tomorrow.

RJD1983 Sep 20, 2010 6:57 am

As I'm flying from BA's regions, I need to connect in LGW. If I got a Malev metal flight, under a BA Codeshare, would they accept that as a flight?

WilcoRoger Sep 21, 2010 6:01 am

Guys, are you sure the promo is still alive?

Here it says

Az akció időszaka: 2010. április 1. - 2010. augusztus 31.

http://www.malev.hu/ajanlataink/repu...inttel-feljebb

Even for those of you not fluent in Hungarian, this should be clear. True, the original promo was 1/1-30/6 and got changed somewhere along the line (I got matched in June) so it's quite possible that they'll extend it again, but it's still worth checking before taking any "unneccessary" flight(s)

If you are not hard pressed, you might even gamble on them having the same promo in Jan/2011 so the status would last till Feb/2013. (yes, it's current year + next year + Jan/Feb after that)

irishguy28 Sep 21, 2010 6:20 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 14732669)
Guys, are you sure the promo is still alive?

Here it says

Az akció időszaka: 2010. április 1. - 2010. augusztus 31.

http://www.malev.hu/ajanlataink/repu...inttel-feljebb

Well, if you look at the English pages, the dates are 1 April to 30 November

https://www.malev.com/offers/fly-at-a-higher-level

Promotion period: 01 April - 30 November 2010. Those who are already members or who enter the Malév Duna Club Programme till 30 November 2010 and start a Malév scheduled flight in the promotional period on any booking class are eligible to participate in the promotion.

RJD1983 Sep 23, 2010 9:02 am

Originally Posted by RJD1983 (Post 14719044)
As I'm flying from BA's regions, I need to connect in LGW. If I got a Malev metal flight, under a BA Codeshare, would they accept that as a flight?

I found out from the Duna Club this is not possible. They said to me
"Thank you very much for your kind letter to us. We kindly inform you that this
is not possible. Marketing carrier must be MALEV on your ticket!
You should book your flight on www.malev.co.uk, for example!"

At least we know for sure!

James1715 Sep 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Following on from the previous posts..

Apologies if this has been asked before elsewhere, has anyone tried a status match with BA Silver yet? I tried emailing Malev for clarification of the offer but they misunderstood my concern and just pasted the "Fly at a higher level" page.

Essentially BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire) does not equal to Duna Club Silver (Oneworld Ruby). I didnt want to go to the effort of booking flights etc. just to find out that I have been matched to a lower tier? They should match BA Silver to Duna Club Gold, right?

adl73x Sep 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by James1715 (Post 14764870)
Following on from the previous posts..

Apologies if this has been asked before elsewhere, has anyone tried a status match with BA Silver yet? I tried emailing Malev for clarification of the offer but they misunderstood my concern and just pasted the "Fly at a higher level" page.

Essentially BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire) does not equal to Duna Club Silver (Oneworld Ruby). I didnt want to go to the effort of booking flights etc. just to find out that I have been matched to a lower tier? They should match BA Silver to Duna Club Gold, right?

Not a hope. They only understand like colour for like colour. I have argued that NZ Gold Elite, which is higher than Gold - Gold being the level at which *A Gold is awarded - should be equivalent to Platinum. NZ Gold Elite is the top tier, it confers access to First Class Lounges on the *A network, and other BA Gold-like benefits, but they wouldn't have a bar of it. To them NZ Gold Elite = Malev Gold because they have the same word. Others who have a level named platinum in their programme have been successful with Malev.

Of course, if you have BA Silver (as I do), I'm not sure what extra you'd get from MA Gold, even if they did give it to you.

I wanted MA Platinum for the Partner Gold benefit - something NZ Gold Elite has on NZ metal alone, BA Gold does not have at all, and Malev was offering for the whole One World network. And at 200,000 miles (all of which expire regardless of status) to qualify, I wasn't about to get it any other way.

James1715 Sep 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by adl73x (Post 14764979)
Not a hope. They only understand like colour for like colour. I have argued that NZ Gold Elite, which is higher than Gold - Gold being the level at which *A Gold is awarded - should be equivalent to Platinum. NZ Gold Elite is the top tier, it confers access to First Class Lounges on the *A network, and other BA Gold-like benefits, but they wouldn't have a bar of it. To them NZ Gold Elite = Malev Gold because they have the same word. Others who have a level named platinum in their programme have been successful with Malev.

Of course, if you have BA Silver (as I do), I'm not sure what extra you'd get from MA Gold, even if they did give it to you.

I wanted MA Platinum for the Partner Gold benefit - something NZ Gold Elite has on NZ metal alone, BA Gold does not have at all, and Malev was offering for the whole One World network. And at 200,000 miles (all of which expire regardless of status) to qualify, I wasn't about to get it any other way.

Ok thanks for clarifying. This is a shame that they operate this policy, especially if you have NZ Gold Elite and only given the equivalent Oneworld Sapphire status instead of Emerald.

BA Silver is due for renewal in March 11, but I already have a feeling that I might be a few points short., and would rather avoid a TP run like JER-LGW-AMS etc. Looking at the other posts I was hoping that this offer might yield a match to MA Gold for up to another two years possibly, retaining access to lounges etc. but wishful thinking!

piiit Sep 24, 2010 10:00 am

I just talked to them on the phone and they told me, that the highest status they give is the Gold Status in Duna Club for the current offer, the booking class however of the required ticket can be any.

adl73x Sep 24, 2010 10:40 am

Originally Posted by piiit (Post 14775392)
I just talked to them on the phone and they told me, that the highest status they give is the Gold Status in Duna Club for the current offer, the booking class however of the required ticket can be any.

That seems to contradict post 29.