Wiki Posts
Search

DONE3 Ex ICN -Change due to Hospitalization

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
DONE3 Ex ICN -Change due to Hospitalization

my wife is visiting her mother with end stage cancer which has deteriorated rapidly and she has extended her stay in the UK due to the hospitalization of her mother. My business trip this weekend to ICN is cancelled due to this. I am on a RTW and know that I can reschedule the current half used RTW to a future date. However I was commencing my new DONE3 in ICN Nov 21st issued by QF. Under the rules I know I can cancel and get a refund less 10% but I will need to go to ICN when family matters are resolved and I will then need to purchase a new RTW. I have 10 DONE/AONE under my belt and know the rules well but I just wondered if anyone ever experienced any rule flexibility where the initial flight can be changed due to serious medical circumstances like this? Your insight would be appreciated.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Very sorry to hear this.

I don't know the answer, but can you get your hands on a doctor's note or some other form of substantiation?

I suspect that if you are going to have a chance, you'll need to document it.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
First, there is this:
16. VOLUNTARY CHANGES/REROUTING/PENALTIES

Penalties as described below may be waived in case of certified death/illness of the passenger or passenger’s immediate family member or accompanying passenger.

Local service fees may apply on rebooking, rerouting, reissue or refund.
Second, there is this:
(a) Rebooking/Rerouting
(1) Prior to departure
(a) Changes to date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory changes are permitted provided ticketed points remain the same. If the first flight coupon is being changed, and the fare level has increased since ticket issuance, the difference between the old and new fare will be charged. If the fare
level has decreased since ticket issuance, no refund will apply.

Exception: For fares originating in TC1, changes to the first international flight and preceeding
flights are not permitted less than seven days prior to the date of the first ticketed flight.

(b) Changes other than to Date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory permitted at a charge of USD125.00 per transaction. If the fare level has increased since ticket issuance, the difference between the old and new fare will also be charged. If the fare level has decreased since ticket issuance, no refund will apply.
So the rules allow for waiving of the penalty in situations such as you now find yourself. Also the second quotation was just added a couple of months back which seems to make clear that changes to the first flight coupons are possible you will just have to reprice the ticket(if you bought your ticket during the sale). Sorry about your mother-in-law's illness.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
Thanks guys I should have spotted this and I appreciate the copy from the rules.
I have emailed the Qantas ICN with my request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.