Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

What is the best use of miles from upcoming paid rtw on subsequent paid rtw?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL MM, BA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat

In short, if you were flying 2 paid rtws (coach), with all the miles you make from the first one being spent to make a more enjoyable trip for the two people traveling with you on the second paid rtw (coach), what would you do?

Here are the details:

This summer, I will be taking a rtw with two other people (coach). The itinerary is as follows:

ORD-LHR (cheap o/w) to pick up the beginning of a rtw because LHR seems to be the cheapest origination. Then:

1. LHR -MRU (stop)
2. JNB (stop)
3. HKG
4. KTM (stop)
5. HKG
6. NRT (so we can catch a long-haul non-stop to our home (ORD) but is there a better option long-haul Asia to ORD when starting in KTM?)
7. ORD (home)
8. SJU (stop)
9. ORD (home)
10. LAX (stop)
11. ORD (home)
12. MSY (stop)
13. ORD (home)
14. ZRH (stop)
15. MAD
16. LHR (start over again?)

I have figured out it would be beneficial for me to purchase another RTW for some upcoming trips which supersede the aforementioned trip. Therefore, I will have the miles earned from an RTW that can be used to accomplish the below goals on the aforementioned trip which will later be taken with two other people:

• Use miles/certs to get the 3 of us into Biz or (hahahahaha) F for any of the long haul sectors (or short-haul too if it was cheap enough but that is not very important).

• Have access to lounges in all of the destinations.

• Anything else to make this trip more special for the three of us (thoughts?)

The question is where to deposit the miles from the first rtw in order to achieve the above goals during the second rtw. From researching FT, it looks as if I can use AA miles to upgrade AA flights, BA miles to upgrade BA flights, etc….and maybe use CX miles to upgrade some codeshares, but which option is more economical and are there other options that would make more sense? I know I won’t have anywhere near enough miles to upgrade all of the long-hauls for 3 people, but what do you think are the best options or get the most bang for the buck?

Thank you for your invaluable help.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
There are no direct oneworld flights ORD-ZRH.

Last edited by Hagbard Viking; Oct 24, 2009 at 11:13 pm Reason: Mixing up oneworld and Star RTW rules, as pointed out below by Dave Noble and Kiwi Flyer.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
A couple of things about your itinerary:

You can't go through (whether you stop or not) ORD more than three times.

There are no direct oneworld flights ORD-ZRH.
6 flights are permitted within the USA and there are restrictions on transcontinental flights but not seen anything in the rules that restrict travel through specifc airports that would prohibit travel through ORD that number if times for paid ATW tickets

There does indeed seem to be no direct service between ORD and ZRH though

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2009, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try putiing in MM. MM is now not 100% up to date with routes & rules but a good starting point

This works Removing ORD-MSY-ORD and adding ORD-MAD-ZRH

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 24, 2009 at 5:11 pm
Old Oct 24, 2009, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
You can't go through (whether you stop or not) ORD more than three times.
That is a star alliance RTW rule, not a oneworld one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.