Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD transit question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

SYD transit question

We are thinking of doing a SFO-SYD same day turnaround. Can we stay airside in SYD for transit, or do we need to go thru immi and get the special Aussie visa?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
My recollection (2 visits) is that we were funneled directly into immigration.

U.S. citizens need only apply for a Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) on-line:
We've never been asked to produce a copy on arrival.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
I defer to others on the specifics of executing a turnaround at SYD, but typically when you board the plane to SYD, if your destination is SYD, the airline has to verify your ETA.

The only exception to this is if you are just transiting SYD, headed to AKL or somewhere else.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

OK, seems I do have to shell out the $ 40.00 for two useless ETAs. Thanks all.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
They don't have to be useless. You could always stay a day or three.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If you do it at the Australian site it's A$20, or about US$13 these days and valid for a year.

If UA does it, I think it's US$20 and valid for a shorter period.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
We are thinking of doing a SFO-SYD same day turnaround. Can we stay airside in SYD for transit, or do we need to go thru immi and get the special Aussie visa?
I believe you can stay airside in transit in SYD, particularly if you have a return SYD-SFO boarding pass to show. But as others have pointed out, I'm sure you will need a visa at UA SFO check-in.

You could always book several Down Under MRs, as visa lasts a year, and prices are reasonable.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by channa
If you do it at the Australian site it's A$20, or about US$13 these days and valid for a year.

If UA does it, I think it's US$20 and valid for a shorter period.
Since when? Every year I go UA does it automatically and for free.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Since when? Every year I go UA does it automatically and for free.
I think it's only free for C and F pax.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
For a free ETA, see the stickie at the top of the forum!

Dave
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by thadocta
For a free ETA, see the stickie at the top of the forum!

Dave
Right - amazing how many people don't notice that thread.

FYI turnarounds can easily be done without clearing immigration at CNS, BNE, SYD & MEL. OOL has no airside transfer. ADL & PER do have airside transfer but a hassle unless you are on "the list" kept by immigration.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
intl transit in AUS

I went through this last year with our traveling party. As of October OZ immigration rules were that stays of 6 hours or less spent in intl transit do not require visas. The outbound connection does not have to be in the same PNR but you need a printed confirmation. In SYD it is very easy to do intl connections, follow the signs and the only check you will go through is security before heading upstairs to the departure level. Also, after going up to departures we went to the transfer desk and were informed that UA does not have a contract with the company running the intl transfer desk so they will not issue or change a UA BP. You can do that in the Air New Zealand lounge or at the gate when it opens.

I have not done intl xfers in MEL, but the timing of 6 hours or less may work there. Nonetheless, I would suggest getting the visa for SYD and and taking a break and getting some fresh air. Good luck!

Last edited by uanj; Mar 18, 2009 at 11:46 pm Reason: grammar!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by uanj
I went through this last year with our traveling party. As of October OZ immigration rules were that stays of 6 hours or less spent in intl transit do not require visas. The outbound connection does not have to be in the same PNR but you need a printed confirmation. In SYD it is very easy to do intl connections, follow the signs and the only check you will go through is security before heading upstairs to the departure level. Also, after going up to departures we went to the transfer desk and were informed that UA does not have a contract with the company running the intl transfer desk so they will not issue or change a UA BP. You can do that in the Air New Zealand lounge or at the gate when it opens.

I have not done intl xfers in MEL, but the timing of 6 hours or less may work there. Nonetheless, I would suggest getting the visa for SYD and and taking a break and getting some fresh air. Good luck!

That is incorrect. Australia allows international transits to third countries within 8 hours without a visa (for Americans) provided remain airside. A turnaround is not an international transit to a third country (you'd need to be doing US-Oz-NZ or similar).
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Right - amazing how many people don't notice that thread.
FYI, I originally posted this in the UA forum, so it was pretty easy to miss the sticky you mention. I was not even aware that the mods had moved my post. I figured that since UA at this point has been the sole US carrier serving Australia, a couple of FTers should have been able to provide me with expert advice on my turnaround question, which obviously would be quite uniquely tailored to UAers. Seems the mods disagreed. But I can see it now and thank you for pointing it out.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That is incorrect. Australia allows international transits to third countries within 8 hours without a visa (for Americans) provided remain airside. A turnaround is not an international transit to a third country (you'd need to be doing US-Oz-NZ or similar).
I recounted what happened to us and what we were told, so I don't know why you would say this is incorrect. And I don't believe you were travelling with us. We were not all Americans, this was the information given to us by the Australian consulate in SIN and SQ went and double checked everything anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.