Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transportation Option - 2 days in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Transportation Option - 2 days in Sydney

Please don't flame me, I did do a quick search and it seems that I can use the Airport Link from the Intl Terminal at SYD to get to Circular Quay station (using the green line - Airport & East Hills Line) to reach town.

I am staying at the Park Hyatt Sydney in The Rocks area and think this is the best way to get there (I want to avoid traffic).

I won't have much time in Sydney (basically, just a day and a half), and figure I should just walk or take the "metro" for sightseeing; all suggestions welcome.

TIA,

RxTravel

Last edited by R xTravel; Sep 18, 2008 at 2:27 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you been to Sydney before ?
Originally Posted by R xTravel
.. and it seems that I can use the Airport Link from the Intl Terminal at SYD to get to Circular Quay station (using the green line - Airport & East Hills Line) to reach town.
Yes, provided you can carry your luggage.
I won't have much time in Sydney (basically, just a day and a half), and figure I should just walk or take the "metro" for sightseeing; all suggestions welcome.
Buy a daily metro ticket for the 1 day. It lets you use all the trains & the ferry across the Harbour to Manly. Sydney rail & ferry map For the half day just walk around the Rocks area & Darling Habour.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 18, 2008 at 6:42 pm
Old Sep 19, 2008, 1:50 am

I agree — if you're in Sydney for a day and a half you're better off without a car. You can get the train from the airport direct to Circular Quay. From Circular Quay to the Park Hyatt is walkable (but not completely flat), though it involves a few corners and switchbacks and you'd need a street map. An alternative would be to get a taxi from Circular Quay (where they're plentiful), and the taxi ride would take only a few minutes. Another alternative would be to get a taxi from the airport, of course.

There's plenty to occupy you in The Rocks and the central city area, plus you could go on a harbour cruise or just get the commuter ferry to, say, Manly and back for a harbour experience.

Enjoy it!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Christopher
From Circular Quay to the Park Hyatt is walkable (but not completely flat), though it involves a few corners and switchbacks and you'd need a street map.
Sorry but your making the walk sound pretty complex. The walk is essentially flat, and iirc you walk down George St until it forks with Hickson Rd then follow Hickson Rd and it takes you right there. Could easily be done sans map. Where is the switchback???? I thought they only happened on train lines
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Forget walking up the street... when getting off at Circular Quay station, you cannot miss the ferry terminals and the harbour at the Quay. Facing the ferry terminals, turn left and walk past the leftmost terminal and then walk along the promenade, around the Overseas Passenger Terminal (3 or 4mins walk from the ferry terminal) still by the water... walk on a road for one minute, then keep walking around the harbour.

You will then walk past a string of restaurants on your left and along a boardwalk, which will take you past a small marina on your right and the Park Hyatt straight ahead of you.

Best just to click the Google maps link (18 Hickson Rd, The Rocks). Street view is worth a look for anyone wanting to virtually cruise around the streets of The Rocks.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
Sorry but your making the walk sound pretty complex. The walk is essentially flat, and iirc you walk down George St until it forks with Hickson Rd then follow Hickson Rd and it takes you right there.
Yes, you could do that, and I wasn't thinking of that way, 'tis true. I'd still want a map though if I didn't know the city.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Near to the Park Hyatt, Circular Quay, and The Rocks:

Museum Of Contemporary Art - 140 George St.
Museum of Sydney - 37 Phillip St.
Justice & Police Museum - Albert & Phillip St's.
Art Gallery of New South Wales
Royal Botanic Garden
Hyde Park Barracks Museum - Macquarie St.

And here's 380 other things to do in Sydney! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...uth_Wales.html
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to Everyone

(especially since I now realize I didn't leave much information).

Yes, first trip to Sydney. I have a city map and will make sure to pack it.
I arrive at 6pm, so if it's dark, I will make sure to take a cab/taxi to the hotel from Circular Quay station.

I appreciate all the information and know that I will be able to find my way and now also have plenty of ideas of what to see/do after the Syd Opera and the Bridge.

Cannot wait to explore!

Cheers,

RxTravel
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
I arrive at 6pm, so if it's dark, I will make sure to take a cab/taxi to the hotel
I doubt a Taxi Driver is going to be keen to drive you one minute round the corner! Seriously if you get the train to Circular Quay you are at your hotel via a five minute max walk! Its a very lit area as well.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 4:19 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look for the Bondi Explorer (bus) maps for both the blue and red routes. It's easy to navigate around with them and they have pix of the sights so you can get a nice visual. Also a very nice way to see the sights if you are short on time (get on and off).
Old Sep 19, 2008, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Christopher
Yes, you could do that, and I wasn't thinking of that way, 'tis true. I'd still want a map though if I didn't know the city.
No worries. Your correct a map is always handy though

(especially since I now realize I didn't leave much information).

Yes, first trip to Sydney. I have a city map and will make sure to pack it.
I arrive at 6pm, so if it's dark, I will make sure to take a cab/taxi to the hotel from Circular Quay station.

I appreciate all the information and know that I will be able to find my way and now also have plenty of ideas of what to see/do after the Syd Opera and the Bridge.

Cannot wait to explore!

Cheers,

RxTravel
Don't take a taxi there is no need. At the time you will be arriving that part of town will be busy and from Circular Quay you can see your hotel in it's that close!

I would second the recommendation of a ferry trip to Manly, or Watson's Bay.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by bensyd
Don't take a taxi there is no need. At the time you will be arriving that part of town will be busy and from Circular Quay you can see your hotel in it's that close!
If you use the "Street View" function in the Google map link higher up in this thread, you can walk every yard of the journey yourself "virtually" before you even get there. It's easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.