FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   10 hour layover in Nadi, Fiji (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/818252-10-hour-layover-nadi-fiji.html)

craig88 Apr 28, 2008 9:10 pm

10 hour layover in Nadi, Fiji

HI, I have a 10 hour layover in Nadi, Fiji, on the way to New Zealand. We get in early in the morning. What is there do for the 10 hours while there? Thanks

kaiserjoeicem Sep 25, 2009 6:47 am

I might find myself in this same situation soon, too.

Any suggestions?

number_6 Sep 26, 2009 4:18 am

There isn't much to do in Nadi (part of the charm). Good place to relax, swim, etc. (Denerau island is all resorts, very artificial but nice, and near the airport). There is an orchid garden (former estate of Raymond Burr) which has the world's largest orchid collection, but that is about it from what I can tell. You picked the wrong city if you wanted excitement. Even the coups are boring.

Rambuster Sep 26, 2009 4:20 am

I'd rent a room at one of the resorts for day use and spend the time at the beach / pool.
The Westin is quite nice.

noooah Sep 30, 2009 6:48 am

you don't even need to rent a room for a day. Ask a taxi to take you to Denarau Island and just spend the day on the beach there. There are about 5 different resorts on the island and there is plenty to do including a Jet Boat; www.jetfiji.com

Enjoy

Spent_All_My_Miles Oct 1, 2009 6:42 pm

You could go on a tour of one of the villages located in the center of the island -- drive an hour or two towards Suva, then get on a boat and go upstream. Very interesting.

You could also go on a tour of some of the outer islands.

Depending on when exactly you are arriving these might or might not work.

vecta Oct 8, 2009 12:59 am

As the other have said I'd head out to Denaru and either hang out on the beach/pool or from there take a quick island tour, time permitting.

number_6 Oct 8, 2009 3:31 am

Just spent a week in an oceanfront room at the Westin Denerau which was superb -- and I don't say that often, it is a really fine resort, the oldest and best of the ones in Fiji. Airport is 20 min drive away, and the beach and pools are great; not cheap though. Bula.

shillard Oct 8, 2009 6:41 pm

You could always grab a car and drive to Suva to see the three highlights of the capital - Suva Prison, Suva Cemetary, and Suva garbage tip. Mind you, the country's only KFC is in Suva, so you'll have to make do with McDonalds in Nadi if you get a hankering for Western fast food.

nzed Oct 8, 2009 8:42 pm

There is now a KFC AND a Pizza Hut about 3 minutes drive from Nadi Airport.

shillard Oct 9, 2009 11:51 pm

Wohoo!!!!!!

Nothing like the 12 secret herbs and spices (in Fiji they lace it with a Tandoori flavour).

onedog Oct 14, 2009 3:11 pm

For a 10 hour layover, don't risk stressing yourself out by trying to head out to one of the outer islands or over to Suva. Either of these would cost you a pretty $$, take a couple hours to go, a couple of hours to get back, plus an hour or so to check back into the airport etc. That doesn't leave you much time to really enjoy yourself.

Not really that much to see in Nadi so I'd agree with other posters and I'd take a cab out to Denarau Island and hang out on the beach / resort pool. If you don't want to just mooch free usage of the resort's pool facilities, I'd just find the cheapest room rate possible as all the resorts are on the beach. You can leisurely walk from the resorts at one end of Denarau to the resorts on the other end (maybe about 10 resorts?).

The Westin is really nice and just recently remodeled (last couple of years ago or so?). You can book a room at any of the three SPG properties (Sheraton, Sheraton Vilas or the Westin) and use any/all of the facilities. I'd try and book a room at the Sheraton as this is usually the cheapest.

mhnadel Oct 19, 2009 8:26 am

Nadi is mostly a place to shop for souvenirs, but the Hindu temple at the end of the main street is worth a visit. The Garden of the Sleeping Giant is not far and has an excellent orchid collection. It can easily be visited on a half day tour with a stop in a village and/or a fruit orchard.

In the other direction, the Sigatoka Sand Dunes are about a 40 minute drive from the airport and are spectacularly beautiful.