Sydney/Cairns August trip advice needed

Old Jun 26, 2007, 4:29 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sydney/Cairns August trip advice needed

I'll be crossing off one of the highly ranked to-do's from my 100 things to do before I die list by flying into Sydney in August and snorkeling the great barrier reef in Cairns. I'll have 8 days in total and thought a few in Sydney a few in Cairns and back again for an overnight in Sydney. I'm hoping to use some Hilton points - currently converting them from AA miles. So FT gurus my main questions are?

What is the best airline to book a flight from Sydney to Cairns? (Actually I should phrase this are there any to avoid?)
If the Hilton isn't available any recommendations of a solid 3 star or better hotel with a nice location that has a reasonable price too? On my return leg perhaps a nice hotel near the airport would be good too.
Any recommendations of good snorkeling companies that operate near Cairns? I've snorkled many many hours so I appreciate a really well run outfit and have my own equipment.
Any other must do's near Cairns?
Any other hotels if the Hilton isn't available on the beach in Cairns?

I have my heart set on the Sydney bridge climb too so if you need to book in advance or anyone knows what it costs (I keep finding the term pricy) I'd like to know too.

Thanks for your help in advance.

msv
Old Jun 26, 2007, 4:44 pm

Just came back from Sydney and Cairns. Stayed at the Hilton in Cairns. Clean hotel, decent location a 2 minute walk from the Reef Terminal in Cairns. Not on the "beach". Cairns seems more of a harbour than a beachfront locale. Have heard from many sources that the best snorkeling is out of Port Douglas farther north. Supposedly you can get companies to bus you up there. I got the Hilton for around 150 AUD on wotif.com. Also, consider a live aboard reef trip.

Also, be wary of Jetstar and Virgin Blue for airlines if you have a lot of luggage. They limit you to 44 lbs per person and they actually do weigh your carryon to limit it to 7kg. Their overweight charges are pretty steep. Jetstar was 7AUD per KG. We went over by 2kg. We had several flights booked on Qantas in Business on this trip. I casually mentioned this to the agent with no effect. She had already said the magic word "exit row", so I didn't force the issue.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 5:01 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cme2c
Just came back from Sydney and Cairns. Stayed at the Hilton in Cairns. Clean hotel, decent location a 2 minute walk from the Reef Terminal in Cairns. Not on the "beach". Cairns seems more of a harbour than a beachfront locale. Have heard from many sources that the best snorkeling is out of Port Douglas farther north. Supposedly you can get companies to bus you up there. I got the Hilton for around 150 AUD on wotif.com. Also, consider a live aboard reef trip.

Also, be wary of Jetstar and Virgin Blue for airlines if you have a lot of luggage. They limit you to 44 lbs per person and they actually do weigh your carryon to limit it to 7kg. Their overweight charges are pretty steep. Jetstar was 7AUD per KG. We went over by 2kg. We had several flights booked on Qantas in Business on this trip. I casually mentioned this to the agent with no effect. She had already said the magic word "exit row", so I didn't force the issue.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 5:05 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Excellent heads up for me! I only looked at the Hilton website in Cairns and noticed it looked kind of beachy. My luggage weighs quite a bit empty so I'd probably be in trouble. I'm bring a decent sized carry-on too because there is only a little over an hour in my LAX connection and it's too bit to big to incorporate in a suitcase for future flights.

msv

Last edited by msv; Jun 26, 2007 at 5:11 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 26, 2007, 5:47 pm

You can book a roundtrip ticket with Qantas for about AU$440/US$375 or Jetstar for about AU$355/US$299. I'm not sure what the Jetstar extra baggage fee is though.

FWIW, I'd go with Qantas. I think that you can earn AA miles and I always had great service when i flew with them.

Consider Calypso for your trip to the Reef. They offer snorkeling and scuba. I decided to snorkel, but if i had to do it again, i think I'd do their Intro to Scuba dive instead.

And you said you have your heart set on the Bridge Climb. It's anywhere from AU$200 - 250 (US$170 - 210) depending on the time of day. But it is worth it! If need be, save money elsewhere. But find a way to squeeze this into your budget.

Reserve your spot soon though as they do tend to book up.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:00 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caleo
You can book a roundtrip ticket with Qantas for about AU$440/US$375 or Jetstar for about AU$355/US$299. I'm not sure what the Jetstar extra baggage fee is though.

FWIW, I'd go with Qantas. I think that you can earn AA miles and I always had great service when i flew with them.

Consider Calypso for your trip to the Reef. They offer snorkeling and scuba. I decided to snorkel, but if i had to do it again, i think I'd do their Intro to Scuba dive instead.

And you said you have your heart set on the Bridge Climb. It's anywhere from AU$200 - 250 (US$170 - 210) depending on the time of day. But it is worth it! If need be, save money elsewhere. But find a way to squeeze this into your budget.

Reserve your spot soon though as they do tend to book up.
Ohh... that is a good definition of pricy but after 5 trips to various Hawaiian islands those expensive must do's is what keeps me talking about it for years. I think I'm still in sticker shock after the price I selected online today jumped $100 before I hit the sent credit card into.

Where does Calypso leave from? Do you need to book in advance?

I was so tempted to fly AA and Quantas out but narrow planes were only offered to the west coast for me. Many with multiple connections. This is my first experience on United - sigh I know they haven't exactly been popular with the FT people.

I guess I just want a few really good knock-your-socks off Australian experiences and a lot of walking and vegging on the beach for the remainder of the the time. I'm sure I'll snorkle more than once though so trying two different experiences would be great.

Thanks ALL!!

msv
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
msv, regarding BridgeClimb, the twilight one was the best one to do, IMO, but the pricing has been adjusted accordingly! Quite a premium now. Pricing is in the link - see the second set from July 07.

Perhaps you can e-mail the company to find out the actual time that the last 'day' climb gets out onto the bridge. Check the bom.gov.au website for the Sydney weather forecast, which also gives the time of sunset.

A slightly cloudy day is fine, for a more interesting sunset; August is probably going to be okay for weather, but if there is too much rain or cloud the week of your visit, maybe try to book the second day of your stay, with the option to defer/raincheck to the following day if necessary.

My wife (gf at the time) and later I have both done the walk and really enjoyed it, but would recommend you go at the earliest or latest walk of the 'day'. Night view is OK, but better to do that from the Blu Horizon bar!
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:48 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BiziBB
msv, regarding BridgeClimb, the twilight one was the best one to do, IMO, but the pricing has been adjusted accordingly! Quite a premium now. Pricing is in the link - see the second set from July 07.

Perhaps you can e-mail the company to find out the actual time that the last 'day' climb gets out onto the bridge. Check the bom.gov.au website for the Sydney weather forecast, which also gives the time of sunset.

A slightly cloudy day is fine, for a more interesting sunset; August is probably going to be okay for weather, but if there is too much rain or cloud the week of your visit, maybe try to book the second day of your stay, with the option to defer/raincheck to the following day if necessary.

My wife (gf at the time) and later I have both done the walk and really enjoyed it, but would recommend you go at the earliest or latest walk of the 'day'. Night view is OK, but better to do that from the Blu Horizon bar!
Thanks for your info. My friend says OK to try this. I'll work on my streak of wishing up spectacular weather for any major event I want to have happen. I've looked at they Sydney web cam many times and just wished I was there!

MSV

Last edited by msv; Jun 26, 2007 at 6:52 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: QF LTS, AA 2MM, CO
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Agree - twilight is my preferred option for the climb. The early am or twilight climbs are, IMO, the best climbs.

I've done the climb 3 times (with friends visiting from o/s) and still think it is good value for money. Listening to the guides explaining the bureaucracy involved in the operation and be thankful that the price isn't higher

Cairns Hilton is a clean, well run hotel. Although I switched to mainly IC properties, I have spent many a night there and always had excellent service and the staff have always been friendly.

I also agree with the suggestion of a live-a-board if time permits. A day (or two) spent in Port Douglas is also recommended. Nice drive up there and stop in Mossman Gorge for a swim.

Keep in mind that Qantas "N" class fares do not earn AA miles.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:31 pm

If you want wandering on the beach, then I'm not sure Cairns is where you should stay. You may want to look at one of the beach cities slightly north. The good news is that many of the hotels are the timeshare/condo variety so you can save money by going to the grocery store instead of eating out.

Calypso leaves from Port Douglas and I booked the day before. Other good experiences are the rainforest and Kuranda village.

Are you planning on renting a car? I didn't need one in either Sydney or Cairns as every excursion i did had some type of transportation option - which may work out to be less than a car/gas/insurance.

I felt as though I spent a lot of money on things such as the bridge climb, the Reef, etc, but the total at the end really wasn't too bad. Remember that Australia is one of the few countries friendly to the US dollar and tax is almost always included in all rates.

Finally, if you can't use Hilton points in Sydney, then consider staying at the Russell. I had a superior room with a shared bath and would stay there again in a heartbeat. It was very clean, the bathroom felt private (shared with one other room), the location is amazing, the rate is reasonable and it includes a complete breakfast.

PS. I did the last regular tour on the Bridge Climb before the official twilight one and was perfectly happy. We could see some of the twilight glow on our way down and it was a lot cheaper!
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:42 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caleo
If you want wandering on the beach, then I'm not sure Cairns is where you should stay. You may want to look at one of the beach cities slightly north. The good news is that many of the hotels are the timeshare/condo variety so you can save money by going to the grocery store instead of eating out.

Calypso leaves from Port Douglas and I booked the day before. Other good experiences are the rainforest and Kuranda village.

Are you planning on renting a car? I didn't need one in either Sydney or Cairns as every excursion i did had some type of transportation option - which may work out to be less than a car/gas/insurance.

I felt as though I spent a lot of money on things such as the bridge climb, the Reef, etc, but the total at the end really wasn't too bad. Remember that Australia is one of the few countries friendly to the US dollar and tax is almost always included in all rates.

Finally, if you can't use Hilton points in Sydney, then consider staying at the Russell. I had a superior room with a shared bath and would stay there again in a heartbeat. It was very clean, the bathroom felt private (shared with one other room), the location is amazing, the rate is reasonable and it includes a complete breakfast.

PS. I did the last regular tour on the Bridge Climb before the official twilight one and was perfectly happy. We could see some of the twilight glow on our way down and it was a lot cheaper!
Thanks so much for this sage advice!! I've been staying a condo's on Maui for years and love the washer/dryer/refrigerator options always available. I prefer not to drive because an international drivers license is more hassle than I want to deal with on a short trip. I haven't figured out yet whether to use my Hilton points in Sydney or Cairns if possible or some combination of both. But the condo option might just sway my decision to use the cat 6 reward in Sydney.

For my stupid question of the day. Do you have to convert all money to Australian $$ or do they accept US $ too? I'm really used to the Carribean and Bermuda that don't care.

Thanks

MSV
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No need for an international drivers license - yours will do as long as it is in English!
Car rental is relatively cheap, even if our fuel is a little more expensive.
Grand Mercure is managing a lot of new condos, so it might be worth looking on the accor website (no cleaning fees..e.g. Grand Mercure Palm Cove), along with stayz.com.au (similar to vrbo) and a few others.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by msv

For my stupid question of the day. Do you have to convert all money to Australian $$ or do they accept US $ too? I'm really used to the Carribean and Bermuda that don't care.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I lived in Melbourne for about six months before doing the travelling tourist thing. I either took out money with my atm card (i had one for australia and the US) or i charged it to my US based credit card. I changed a couple hundred to Aussie dollars before I left and didn't worry about it from then on.

That said, I'd assume that you'd get the worst possible exchange rate if you offered a business American money so i wouldn't even try it.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use VISA Debit if there are no fees on it at your end.

If you offer 1:1 exchange then you'll be able to spend your USD ; it has fallen to a 20yr low against the AUD$, as you've possibly noticed. I think the AUD$ got up to USD$0.8499 in trading yesterday!
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
My recommendations.

1. Stay a couple of nights in the Daintree Rainforest near Port Douglas. I think we stated at the Coconut Grove Resort -- my wife thought it was marvelous as did on a later trip, my business partner.

2. Go to an island rather than stay in Cairns or Port Douglas. Heron is supposed to be great. Also, Lizard, Heyman. I think Lizard is actually in the Great Barrier Reef. In the wrong seasons, you can't really swim in the ocean at Cairns or Port Douglas due to the lethal box jellyfish. You can swim at the islands. So, you have to take a boat from Port Douglas to the Great Barrier Reef, which makes the day short.

We did spend one night at the Sheraton Mirage in Port Douglas, which was pretty nice. We had an interesting walk-through of an aviary nearby.

But, the great stuff was in Daintree and on the Great Barrier Reef. Both are extraordinary.

Is this the kind of advice you had in mind?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.