What to do in Sydney on ANZAC Day

Old Apr 17, 2007, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
What to do in Sydney on ANZAC Day

I will be in Sydney for the next week, and have the day off on ANZAC day. Staying at the Sydney Hilton . . . Looking for recommendations for something to do/see or places to eat.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by Dresden
I will be in Sydney for the next week, and have the day off on ANZAC day. Staying at the Sydney Hilton . . . Looking for recommendations for something to do/see or places to eat.

Any thoughts?
Oh, by all means a visit to the Australian National Maritime Museum is a must do!

http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=35

Admission is free, and they have doyen-led tours that are wonderfully informative and entertaining. It's just across the Pyrmont Street footbridge in Darling harbour, making it a short walk to/from the Sydney Fish Market for lunch - fantastic food stalls, and a bottle shop! - and a quick stroll to the Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife Exhibit at Darling Harbour, which both offer two-for-one admission with presentation of your Qantas frequent flyer card!!! (Thanks for that great tip, tinkybelle! ^ ).

Hope that's a helpful start!

Have a great day!

kaukau
Old Apr 17, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Last year on Anzac Day 2006, I was privileged to have been invited by some Aussie Vietnam War veterans to take part in some Anzac Day ceremonies in Sydney associated with that patriotic day. In doing so, as a USAF veteran, in the Commonwealth tradition, I wore some of my service ribbons on my suit jacket pocket and displayed small crossed Australian and U.S. flags above the ribbons. I also wore my American Legion Post cap. The Anzac Day parade in Sydney is a wonderful thing to see! You'll never hear so many marching renditions of "Waltzing Matilda" played by so many different parade marching band groups as you will see at the parade.

You are staying at a great hotel for viewing the parade. You can drill down to see the Sydney Anzac Day particulars here: http://www.rslnsw.com.au/index.cfm?page=450
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:46 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
The dawn service at Martin Place is a must see. Very emotional and very well done! It’s a very early start to the day!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
You have to go and play some Two-up at the pub...
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:17 pm

Programs: Ex UA PremEx
I agree with the dawn service and a game of two up..and in between you can get down on George street and watch the parade.

Also remember that shops generally don't open till after 1.00pm on Anzac day as a sign of respect.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: Lifetime Hilton Diamond; UA 1K; Marriott Titanium Elite

Any thoughts?
Lots of things are open - walking around Circular Quay is great or Cockle Bay. Tons of people watching or relaxing if that's what you want. Shopping, restaurants etc in Cockle Bay all open.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:54 am

Programs: UA, VA, ZL, Priority Club, HH. Rydges.

Any thoughts?
Now ANZAC day has gone, what did you do?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.